HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 13, 2010, 01:58 PM
Suspended Account
United States, UT, Salina
Joined Apr 2003
3,117 Posts
Discussion
Neighbors... how well do you know them?

I knew most of my neighbors say five years ago but many are new from the massive house selling bubble of yesteryear and I honestly don't know several of them closely anymore, maybe even as much as half of them on my block.
There has been a few divorces and a rental spring up in the past two years.
How about you.... how close to your neighbors are you, do you have block parties etc.?
We used to but it's been a couple years now.
Best show of faces for the last two years is when I fly my night flyer Slowstick and or someone shoots off fireworks and draws everyone out.

I miss the old days and block party/dinners.

Guess I need to be the one to revive them... Or at least try to revive them.
Bilbobaker is offline Find More Posts by Bilbobaker
Old Aug 13, 2010, 02:06 PM
United States, MI, South Lyon
Joined Aug 2004
1,178 Posts
I hate having neighbors and if it weren't for my three young kids, I'd be on a nice 5 acre lot all by myself.
StrangeGager is offline Find More Posts by StrangeGager
Old Aug 13, 2010, 02:10 PM
On the Edge of Space
Exit 4, South Jersey, USA
Joined Dec 2007
1,479 Posts
Enough to make small talk and exchange inanities if we park our cars at the same time. No invites to drink up their booze.
dLdV is offline Find More Posts by dLdV
Old Aug 13, 2010, 02:28 PM
Suspended Account
United States, UT, Salina
Joined Apr 2003
3,117 Posts
My barber... he's since moved away, had married a lady from Mexico and brought her here to live with him while he practiced his craft... but after about two years she said she could no longer live in America with him.. her reason?
She said that when she walked down the street people didn't greet her or introduce themselves, they casually ducked their heads and walked by with no reply.
She finally could no longer live that way because in her own country, people cheerfully greeted each other on the street.. even strangers, and they always had block parties every week celebrating every one's family achievements as if that of their own.

They have moved to Mexico and I've lost communication with them.

I so believe that they are much happier now but for the drug wars etc.
Bilbobaker is offline Find More Posts by Bilbobaker
Old Aug 13, 2010, 02:34 PM
United States, MI, South Lyon
Joined Aug 2004
1,178 Posts
Hmmm, my neighbor directly to the south of me has a mailorder Thai wife(and about 3 or 4 of her family). Maybe Thai people cheerfully greet each other on the street too...
StrangeGager is offline Find More Posts by StrangeGager
Old Aug 13, 2010, 04:14 PM
Fly Runaway Fans
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jan 2009
9,384 Posts
I propagate the Eurocentric culture I learned in Hawaii (1967-1975) of acknowledging and speaking with strangers in public, if their body language suggests they're receptive. In this culture of isolation we've devolved into, it's somewhat remarkable how well that still works, even in a metro. I mean, it's just a matter of being absentmindedly civil as an alternative to imagining people around you don't exist, as is the stereotypical norm in New York City for example.

That's the open public, like in line at the supermarket. Closer to 'home', I acknowledge neighbors in my apartment complex if they want to be acknowledged which not all do. Sometimes end up talking for minutes, without even knowing each others' names. Yeah it's superficial, but if that's what you're given to work with......
arbilab is offline Find More Posts by arbilab
Old Aug 13, 2010, 04:22 PM
Houston
Joined May 2001
797 Posts
you mean Boris and Natasha? haven't seen them for a month or so....
lymon is offline Find More Posts by lymon
Old Aug 13, 2010, 05:05 PM
United States, ME, Ellsworth
Joined Dec 2006
10 Posts
I moved here knowing i would only be in this state about 5 years so did not make a lot of effort to get to know the neighbors. From what I have observed in passing, all I am missing is alcoholic rages on one side and a criminal son on the other.
TheHud is offline Find More Posts by TheHud
Old Aug 13, 2010, 05:48 PM
Low, slow and dirty
maine
Joined Jan 2008
427 Posts
I've had a the same neighbor for 30 yrs. After watching them neglect and abuse 3 dogs in those years we no longer get along. I told them If I see another animal over there I'll get the abuse on film and get them charged by the authority's! Their other family members are well known for being a shady bunch of crooks. Most recent was a uncle who own a heating oil delivery business . he first under cut every other oil business and drove them out. Then he took money from people to Lock in a low price for the winter.

People lost thousands when shortly after, he filed bankruptcy and never delivererd the heating oil. He never went to jail,or paid a fine or lost any of his personal assets! No one got their money back either! He did have to pay for the damage to a local news van that he drove his truck into because they showed up at his business for the story. He got mad and plowed (on purpose) his truck into it! It was on local TV!

Amazing what a crooked lawyer can do! I've heard through the grape vine he laughs about it! This isn't the only time that family been caught in shady deals. Another, was the grandfather selling land they didn't own and in some cases to two different people at the same time! This one did cost them in the law suit that followed. that was back in the early 1980's. I guess it was just not enough to teach them a lesson! "Isn't our justice system working so well" For the crook it is working very well!
jumpinjo is offline Find More Posts by jumpinjo
Last edited by jumpinjo; Aug 13, 2010 at 05:55 PM.
Old Aug 13, 2010, 05:56 PM
Chillin till SEFF
Warner Robins, GA
Joined Aug 2003
14,706 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangeGager View Post
I hate having neighbors and if it weren't for my three young kids, I'd be on a nice 5 acre lot all by myself.
Me too

I know 2 of our neighbors and only one of them moderately well. It's too bad really but it seems to be the norm
bildo baggins is offline Find More Posts by bildo baggins
Old Aug 13, 2010, 06:02 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2009
11,700 Posts
It is not safe to know one's neighbors any more. When I was a kid, the neighborhood was a village and everyone shared everything, nowadays, that is very rare.
rimshotcopter is offline Find More Posts by rimshotcopter
Old Aug 13, 2010, 07:58 PM
Joined Jul 2004
3,773 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by reverendrichie View Post
When I was a kid, the neighborhood was a village
Who was the village idiot ?.

Quote:
....and everyone shared everything...
Wife swapping ?.

Quote:
nowadays, that is very rare.
AIDS
Usta Bee is offline Find More Posts by Usta Bee
Old Aug 13, 2010, 08:39 PM
Long time newbie
USA, TX, Katy
Joined Nov 2006
976 Posts
When we moved in to our house in a new subdivision eight years ago we new everyone on the block, there is one other home on the street that is the original owner. We still speak with them but don't know the others. There's been a lot of turnover in the neighborhood and hasn't been a block party since the first year.
heymak is offline Find More Posts by heymak
Old Aug 13, 2010, 08:39 PM
Joined Jul 2004
3,773 Posts
I'm the neighborhood white trash by default.

Up until about 15 years ago my house was on a dead end street with nothing but woods past the end of the street. I used to ride motorcyles in the woods when I was growing up, and we had an extension cord running out from the house into the edge of the woods where we had a canopy tent set up with mesh netting on the sides. We used to sit out in the woods at night in the summer with a little campfire going and cook stuff. After we were done with that we had a B&W tv setup where we'd stay up late and watch Johnny Carson and the early Letterman years.

About 15 years ago they sold the land the wooded lot was on and turned it into an upscale development with McMansions. Now I'v got the crappiest looking house in the neighborhood, and all my neighbors are doctors and white collar business people. Before that the neighborhood was filled with 50's-60's era middle class houses. Back then most of the people in the neighborhood were in their middle age and older, so there was never any trouble around. On weekends people in my neighborhood disappear on weekend trips and you can hear a pin drop around here.

I really don't talk to anybody in the neighborhood anymore, but a few of the older neighbors might say hi if they see me outside. I had a family of jerks move in next door, and they seem to think private property rules don't pertain to them. I'm gone most of the day and I've caught their kids playing in my field, sledding in my backyard in winter, and they've dumped their yard waste on my side of the property. The last straw was about a month ago when they had a dumpster brought in for home remodeling and the truck driver left tire tracks across my side yard bringing the dumpster in.

The really annoying thing about having the worst looking house in the neighborhood is that I get people all the time asking me when I'm outside doing stuff if I plan on selling my house or a piece of my property, and I tell them hell no.

Sanford and Son - Theme Song (3 min 7 sec)
Usta Bee is offline Find More Posts by Usta Bee
Old Aug 13, 2010, 09:13 PM
ein flugel schplinterizer
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,081 Posts
I bought my present house last year and got to know the neighbors pretty quickly though I can't say really well. The area I live in now is rural and we're sort of a community. I'm really lucky that so far everyone has turned out to be great, normal people. Not the party type though.

In my last neighborhood everyone got along very well too. We had a block party most weekends in Spring and Summer.
seanpcola is online now Find More Posts by seanpcola