HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 15, 2010, 06:57 PM
Joined Feb 2007
858 Posts
Discussion
The Wings Maker X-35 Semi Review

My X-35 showed up after a week from initially placing the order. I saw the kit advertised in a RC magazine and checked it out as the price was listed at only $59.00. After going back and forth I decided to give it a shot as I wanted to replace my small Freewing F-35 after an untimely end.

This model is not the F-35 that most have seen. It's the X-35 prototype or something of that nature. It has the intakes and canopy lines of the X-35 sitting at the Smithsonian's Stephan F. Udvar Center at Washington Dulles Airport. Its certainly not scale... but close enough to do the trick for me!

Its 40in in length and takes a 70mm fan. I am going to put my extra Sapac fan and MB-1 in it. The foam is EPO and is smooth. The beads are big and appears no different than my Epo GWS-15 out of the box. I am sure a few coats of paint and poly crylic will fix the cosmetics.
toughitaliankid is offline Find More Posts by toughitaliankid
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 15, 2010, 07:17 PM
trying to catch Mr. FrSky... It flyes
Joined Jan 2005
1,023 Posts
Good choice!!! I have the j10b from the same manufacture and it is a great performer. I will too get one by the end of the month to replace my rafale who was hit by a glitch missile!!!
splitpilot is offline Find More Posts by splitpilot
Old Mar 15, 2010, 07:48 PM
Joined Feb 2007
858 Posts
Originally I called EJF but they were out of stock (3/5). I ended up purchasing it from Airborne Models from Ca. which are the distributors of The Wings Makers Models. Their number is linked to TWM's website. Took 10 days to show up via UPS ground. Hopefully I'll get around to putting it together soon as it looks very straight forward.
Old Mar 15, 2010, 07:55 PM
Joined Jan 2005
1,023 Posts
Indeed, a good fan and a 4s 2500 20c will make it scream!!!
Can you please post the link where you got it??
Old Mar 15, 2010, 08:08 PM
Joined Feb 2007
858 Posts
http://thewingsmaker.com/

The phone number is to Airborne Models. http://airborne-models.com/

Both phone numbers are the same! They shipped it the same day as the order.... In my book they are OK! I got a bit OCD following the UPS website and tracking it acros the country!
Old Mar 16, 2010, 05:48 AM
Joined Jan 2005
1,023 Posts
Thanks!!! keep up posting on this palne!!!
Old Mar 16, 2010, 03:49 PM
TECH for XaircraftAmerica!
South Carolina
Joined Mar 2009
5,405 Posts
Ordered mine from EJF 2 weeks ago should be here tomorrow as the tracking says. I will take pics of the build and post when I am done.
tc3wins is online now Find More Posts by tc3wins
Old Mar 16, 2010, 05:07 PM
Hawk Fanatic
United States, KY, Louisville
Joined Jul 2008
7,357 Posts
I built my own X-35. Whadda think? Its got retracts and a 1:1 thrust ratio! Should be good for about 110mph.
SkylineFlyer is offline Find More Posts by SkylineFlyer
Old Mar 16, 2010, 05:46 PM
Joined Feb 2007
858 Posts
Nice bird Skyline. What make is the kit? I spent a few minutes this afternoon sanding the underside of the fan hatch and the area that the fan housing sits in. My Sapac unit is longer than the stock housing so some foam had to be sanded out for the fan to sit flush. The battery compartment is large! I think its safe to assume that I could stuff a 5s pack in there with no problem. This has the potential to be a fast jet on the cheap.
Old Mar 16, 2010, 06:21 PM
Hawk Fanatic
Joined Jul 2008
7,357 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by toughitaliankid View Post
Nice bird Skyline. What make is the kit? I spent a few minutes this afternoon sanding the underside of the fan hatch and the area that the fan housing sits in. My Sapac unit is longer than the stock housing so some foam had to be sanded out for the fan to sit flush. The battery compartment is large! I think its safe to assume that I could stuff a 5s pack in there with no problem. This has the potential to be a fast jet on the cheap.

Thanks man. My battery compartment is long and narrow. I'm able to get two 4s2200mAh lipos in there in parallel to equal a 4400mAh 4s.

Not sure on the make of the kit. Got it at EasyTigerModels.com
Old Mar 16, 2010, 07:25 PM
Hawk Fanatic
Joined Jul 2008
7,357 Posts
Hey italiankid, did you report my post? I was just answering your question.
Old Mar 16, 2010, 07:33 PM
Joined Feb 2007
858 Posts
Umm....No I did not. After I posted I put my laptop down and got the little one ready for bed. Was not me!
Old Mar 16, 2010, 07:34 PM
Hawk Fanatic
Joined Jul 2008
7,357 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by toughitaliankid View Post
Umm....No I did not. After I posted I put my laptop down and got the little one ready for bed. Was not me!
I must have a fan club following me around.
Old Mar 16, 2010, 08:03 PM
"Aircraftus Fragmentum"
Motor City USA
Joined Mar 2007
3,668 Posts
Subscribed.
kydawg1 is offline Find More Posts by kydawg1
Old Mar 17, 2010, 07:57 AM
Joined Feb 2007
858 Posts
Got the airframe all assembled. Spackled some of the gaps at the wing roots, etc...Going to paint her up tonight. My last EPO jet did/does not hold its paint well. I may give it a quick shot of primer and a few coats of Dark Grey. I may polycrylic the top coat to toughen it all up. I'll try to get some pics up tonight.