HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 16, 2007, 11:00 AM
207 mph Foamy
San Jose CA
Joined Apr 2003
502 Posts
Discussion
After Work DSing

Dennis gives me a call and says he thinks it's going to be good at the Slot. Makes a pretty good argument so I buy it. Get a few things in my schedule reorganized and head out. Needed to re-maiden the Kami (S/N 3) again with it's new fuse. Wind was blowing pretty good. Nice smooth air and consistent laps in the 230s+ Top speed of 251 but the plane's humming, something's coming loose... Wanted to break 250 but didn't really think I was going to do it. Landing had some issues, after about 20 attempts, nailed it and slid on the tanbark for about 15 ft before coming to rest. One of my best ever with the Kami. Take a look at the plane and found 2 servos way loose. Gears look like they went bad. Next Dennis is up. Typhoon X, spins her up but the wind had dies down a lot. Consistent 180s up to 200s occasionally. Got one good thermal to roll through popping him up to 246 for the day. Can't believe that plane was in pieces a few weeks ago. Mickey's repair job is incredible. Couple of bairly noticable waves on the skin and a little discoloration in one spot is the only evidence of repairs. Couple of passes before he gets her down. I've got the Me109 in the back and figure with the winds dieing down might as well try it out. Put it in a couple of times before we got the rates dialed in and was able to make a few passes in a row. That combat plane isn't really up to the task. Actually started flying some smooth consistent circles with some major wind bending going on. Got one pass at 102. Not sure if it was real but the 90,89 and 86s definetly were. Quite a bit of fun flying a plane that's that loose in the air. Really excersizes your skills. Pretty fast for a little 7oz wing loaded combat foamy. Back to the shop to swap out some servos and continue on building my next couple of planes.

http://tuffplanes.com
Tuffplanes is offline Find More Posts by Tuffplanes
Last edited by Tuffplanes; Aug 16, 2007 at 11:14 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 16, 2007, 11:40 AM
Stay in it!!!!
Riverside, California, United States
Joined Aug 2004
5,052 Posts
What happend to the Typhoon?
joe manor is offline Find More Posts by joe manor
Old Aug 16, 2007, 11:59 AM
207 mph Foamy
San Jose CA
Joined Apr 2003
502 Posts
That one was one of the many that came appart on Dennis's 301 day. Don't remember exactly what he said except that it wasn't the one where the aileron just came off. There was substantial damage.
Old Aug 16, 2007, 10:15 PM
RC LIFER
santa rosa California
Joined Aug 2005
2,010 Posts
The Typhoon-X was not the plane Dennis flew at Weldon, he got 301 with the V-tail Typhoon-the same plane Mickey flew at GR.

Norm, your big plane I think can do extremely well at GR, it's nice and heavy.
Mike the Snake is offline Find More Posts by Mike the Snake
Old Aug 17, 2007, 11:47 AM
207 mph Foamy
San Jose CA
Joined Apr 2003
502 Posts
I think you're right. Still the same one I maiden'ed a few months back up there. 222 on the second flight if I remember correctly. Love to see some gail force winds predicted before heading up again. Definitely a PB cabable hill and, except for the suicide walk, great LZ! BTW, How'd your leg heal up?
Old Aug 17, 2007, 12:57 PM
RC LIFER
santa rosa California
Joined Aug 2005
2,010 Posts
Leg's fine.

I really need to explore other LZ options, I'm hating the hike to the LZ more than you! LOL

GR is very potent. The biggest days I've seen were after storms (it usually blows good for 2 days after big storms).

The Spring windy season this year was really good too, but I'm with you, I can't wait til when there's gale force warnings, 60-70mph winds would be supreme. THAT will be a crazy day for sure.

What's the wing loading on your plane? My MC3 is at 31 ounces/sq. foot, and on that fateful day, I'm going to add as much weight as I can fit, maybe another half pound or more.
Mike the Snake is offline Find More Posts by Mike the Snake
Old Aug 17, 2007, 04:27 PM
207 mph Foamy
San Jose CA
Joined Apr 2003
502 Posts
The extra weight your talking about will bring it in line with my wing loading. I've been running the highest wingloading of the CAP boyz but they're slowly becoming believers. I'm running an RG15 (or at least close to it) on the Kami, not the RG14 that's on the Opus so be careful.