HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 01, 2014, 07:45 PM
RCP Me!
United States, MI, Holly
Joined Nov 2007
1,863 Posts
Build Log
Greasy Dirty In Need Of TLC RC10 A Stamp Resto

Ok so I've had (have) many RC10 gold pan cars over the years. I love them! However I haven't had a runner since probably 2007, and maybe even a bit longer ago than that. I tore a runner down for a rebuild way back when and then never completed the project. During a move it got boxed up, and hadn't been seen in years. Until recently that is, when I decided to do some digging to see what I still had that I could use to piece together a backyard runner to go with my shelf queen re-release.

That thread can be seen here http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2013711

Anyway, back to the build at hand. I ended up locating most of what was necessary to put a buggy together. The parts though are in desperate need of attention as they have been neglected for a very long time. So I cleared off some space on the workbench, dug out some tools, and started boiling some water.

My plans for this project are to make a runner replica of the car seen in this ad.

This is how I started. As you can see I've got my work cut out for me

12/02/2014 Update

Much cleaner now

And a bit of reassembly

Update 12/04/2014

Got some more assembling done. Trans is mounted, and it's ready for the rear suspension to be finished.

Most of the rear end is back together. While digging through more of my boxes I came across a stock Associated motor. I believe it is the motor that was included with this kit way back when it was new. To my surprise it seems to run well when bench tested after a good cleaning and some new brushes. This beauty will be going in the buggy.

Update 12/05/2014

Time to get the elecs in place and test everything out.

Update 12/06/2014

Elecs install is all finished up. Hoping the mail man brings my new wheels and tires today. If it dries up outside I will get it out for a test run.

Update 12/08/2014

New Edinger front wheels and tires installed and new battery boxes and hold downs.

Update 12/09/2014

Got the new rear wheels and tires on. Still no body but as long as it dries up a bit outside I will try to get a test run in.

Update 12/10/2014

Body is trimmed and ready for paint.

Update 12/12/2014

Well after starting to mask the body and prep for paint I decided that I definitely need to do two bodies. One strictly for running and the trophy car replica from the ad above just for display. Simply too much work to create that body and then run it. So after coming to that conclusion I ordered another body and proceeded to do a more simple paint scheme on this body for runner duty. I still need to paint the window nets and get them glued into place, but otherwise she is ready to tear up the neighborhood.

fastmax is offline Find More Posts by fastmax
Last edited by fastmax; Dec 12, 2014 at 04:11 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 01, 2014, 07:47 PM
RCP Me!
United States, MI, Holly
Joined Nov 2007
1,863 Posts
Reserved for future updates
Old Dec 02, 2014, 01:30 AM
Did you check the FAQ already?
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
13,597 Posts
Looks like a nice winter project. It may be dirty, but the white parts don't seem yellowed at all, so it will probably come out nice a fresh after you've worked on it. Will follow this thread close, as you would have already expected.
SoloProFan is offline Find More Posts by SoloProFan
Old Dec 02, 2014, 06:53 AM
RCP Me!
United States, MI, Holly
Joined Nov 2007
1,863 Posts
The white parts are cleaning up quite well. Got most of the front end cleaned up last night. I plan on having this project up and running pretty quickly. I intend to play with this buggy in this winters snow, and we have more of it coming our way this week.
Old Dec 02, 2014, 06:59 AM
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
13,597 Posts
Be careful of plastics becoming brittle in the cold.
Old Dec 02, 2014, 06:57 PM
RCP Me!
United States, MI, Holly
Joined Nov 2007
1,863 Posts
Never concerned myself with that issue in my many winters of RCing. I play around doing donuts and drifting sideways in the snow etc, but rarely do I do any hard bashing when it's that cold out. Even when I make snow bank ramps for jumping I usually make sure I'm landing in the soft powdery stuff

Couple new pics added above
Old Dec 03, 2014, 01:09 AM
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
13,597 Posts
I see, it should be fine then. It's the hard impacts that may suddenly prove too much under a certain outside temperature. Like not clearing a triple jump for instance, and normally just requiring to put the car back on it's wheels, but then suddenly realize one wheel has a weird angle, because a mount sheared off.

Anyway, the car is cleaning up nicely, as expectec, seeing those pretty fresh color plastic parts. Even the front part of the chassis looks relatively good, no "wavy lines" from many bumping into things.
Old Dec 04, 2014, 09:15 AM
RCP Me!
United States, MI, Holly
Joined Nov 2007
1,863 Posts
Thanks! It is cleaning up quite nicely. Better than I had expected actually. I thought some of the white nylon parts would be forever stained by oil residue, but it all came right off.

Update added.
Old Dec 04, 2014, 09:22 AM
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
13,597 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastmax View Post
Thanks! It is cleaning up quite nicely. Better than I had expected actually. I thought some of the white nylon parts would be forever stained by oil residue, but it all came right off.

Update added.

It's looking so bright, you might better use this as shelf queen and start running your re-release.
Old Dec 04, 2014, 09:30 AM
RCP Me!
United States, MI, Holly
Joined Nov 2007
1,863 Posts
Lol that thought had actually crossed my mind. I don't have the heart though to put a scratch on the rere buggy. At least with this one I don't have any fear of a few more scrapes on the bottom of the chassis.

I managed to get the wheels I'll be using figured out. I ordered theses for the front

And these for the rear

I'm still hunting for front tires that match the ones in the old advertisement. For the rear tires I ordered a new stock set from the rere kit.
Old Dec 05, 2014, 10:44 AM
RCP Me!
United States, MI, Holly
Joined Nov 2007
1,863 Posts
Update added to first post. Elecs are being installed. Shooting for a test run this afternoon.
Old Dec 05, 2014, 11:10 AM
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
13,597 Posts
Looking good. What ESC are you using?
Old Dec 05, 2014, 01:05 PM
RCP Me!
United States, MI, Holly
Joined Nov 2007
1,863 Posts
Thank you kindly! The ESC is an older Duratrax Streak. It's been a pretty solid unit over the years. Just wish it had reverse.
Old Dec 06, 2014, 11:16 AM
RCP Me!
United States, MI, Holly
Joined Nov 2007
1,863 Posts
Update added. Ready for a test run
Old Dec 06, 2014, 12:29 PM
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
13,597 Posts
Looking forward to the footage. I wonder how that stock motor performs. You are using 2S LiPo, right?