HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 08, 2014, 11:12 AM
History Eraser Button?
United States, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Aug 2010
1,104 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwaziithepirate View Post
OK, retracts have a new problem. Nose and one main are OK. The other main (which frustratingly worked before I took the trunnion and leg out to bend it back straight) now no longer works. Makes a whining noise even when its supposed to be retracted and isn't supposed to doing anything (so the motor is running). Inside looks the same as the other retract. Any ideas?

thanks
Kwaz
Sounds like (pun optional) a stripped gear
pomroyj is offline Find More Posts by pomroyj
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 08, 2014, 02:13 PM
Joined Aug 2009
2,486 Posts
Quote:
OK, retracts have a new problem. Nose and one main are OK. The other main (which frustratingly worked before I took the trunnion and leg out to bend it back straight) now no longer works. Makes a whining noise even when its supposed to be retracted and isn't supposed to doing anything (so the motor is running). Inside looks the same as the other retract. Any ideas?

thanks
Kwaz
Could be that the internals aren't assembled correctly or the case isn't screwed on tight enough to hold them in place. Even the smallest gap will allow the motor pinion to turn and miss engaging the idler that drives the worm gear and block that moves the trunion. Sometimes the wiring from the motor isn't all the way in the slot in the case causing the gap or the screws just aren't tight enough.
19000rpm is offline Find More Posts by 19000rpm
Old Dec 08, 2014, 07:18 PM
Don't Move I've Dropped My Nut
United States, AL, Huntsville
Joined Feb 2009
1,851 Posts
Quote:
Makes a whining noise even when its supposed to be retracted and isn't supposed to doing anything (so the motor is running). Inside looks the same as the other retract. Any ideas?
The bar that the screwshaft moves back and forth is likely upside down. Look carefully at the bar. You will notice a little "tab" in the center. It must be facing the circuit board because the tab must come in contact with the two micro switches at each end.
bamaguy is offline Find More Posts by bamaguy
Old Dec 10, 2014, 09:17 AM
Arr pieces of foam me hearties
Australia, WA, Duncraig
Joined Aug 2013
126 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaguy View Post
The bar that the screwshaft moves back and forth is likely upside down. Look carefully at the bar. You will notice a little "tab" in the center. It must be facing the circuit board because the tab must come in contact with the two micro switches at each end.
Thanks for the advice, checked that and manually rotated the thread to get the bar in the same place as the other retract. Now it extended OK but won't retract. I have ordered a replacement set so will fly fixed gear if get the chance before this arrives (unlikely given the forecast of wind, wind and more wind day and night.

Once the replacement is in I can play with the dicky one at my leisure when it is out of the plane.
kwaziithepirate is online now Find More Posts by kwaziithepirate
Old Dec 10, 2014, 10:57 AM
Don't Move I've Dropped My Nut
United States, AL, Huntsville
Joined Feb 2009
1,851 Posts
"Now it extended OK but won't retract."

Likely cause is the tiny micro switch at the end of the board that the bar actuates when the gear is extended (or the board it's self). That switch stops the motor and tells the board to reverse the voltage to the motor so when the next signal is sent to the retract, the shaft rotates in the opposite direction. Replacement board with motor are available from http://www.pw-rc.com/product_info.ph...c330dd0bee0d99
bamaguy is offline Find More Posts by bamaguy
Old Dec 13, 2014, 06:31 PM
Australia, WA, Duncraig
Joined Aug 2013
126 Posts
2nd maiden OK!

Well the replacement gear arrived in super quick time on DHL from HK so fixed that up for a second attempt,

Totally stock, no extra weight. Flew great. Funny that. Going to have a serious talk with my balancing machine...

Didn't seem too nose heavy, maybe a touch of up elevator trim needed but didn't bother during the maiden.

Minor hiccup on landing which was less than stellar with a couple of bounces. Rebent the nose gear leg and pulled a main mount out slightly (the one I didn't reglue). No biggy though. Our field has recently been scarified for cricket season and is rougher than normal which I think is a bit much for the little wheels.

Never mind, 1000% better than first attempt.

Kwaz
Old Dec 15, 2014, 08:02 AM
Australia, WA, Duncraig
Joined Aug 2013
126 Posts
Flights 3 and 4 all good, Got the landing sussed. Next will fly with ordinance and get some pics/vids

Minor tweak of elevator and a little right aileron all the adjustments needed. Using 70% rates for aileron, good roll rate, 100% doesn't make a massive difference. 100% rates for elevator, and that's not too much.

Kwaz
Old Dec 15, 2014, 09:37 AM
History Eraser Button?
United States, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Aug 2010
1,104 Posts
Quote:
Flights 3 and 4 all good, Got the landing sussed. Next will fly with ordinance and get some pics/vids

Minor tweak of elevator and a little right aileron all the adjustments needed. Using 70% rates for aileron, good roll rate, 100% doesn't make a massive difference. 100% rates for elevator, and that's not too much.

Kwaz
Your setup sounds like mine when I had stock servos in it. I recently replaced the stock servos for 9gr Corona digitals which are working great. I found the stock servos soft at center and near stall at full deflection. Coronas have better centering and more deflection so had to reset the rates/expo settings. Still though, it flies great on stock servos; enjoy

John

John
pomroyj is offline Find More Posts by pomroyj
Old Yesterday, 08:32 AM
Australia, WA, Duncraig
Joined Aug 2013
126 Posts
5th fight in about 7-10 knots of wind was OK. Some pre-flight pics. Have the stores rigged up with magnets to make them removable but flew without today. After crashing my corsair on the next flight didn't want to push my luck so didn't do a second flight with stores..

Kwaz