HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 14, 2012, 10:02 AM
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Mar 2010
829 Posts
Agreed! The spoilers and reversers don't help a lot on the actual aircraft. Performance at our airline is predicated without it. In most of our daily ops we aren't allowed to use them. Brakes are cheaper to burn up compared to fuel and engine maintenance.
jdlilfan is offline Find More Posts by jdlilfan
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 14, 2012, 03:46 PM
Up-Out-&-Gone
United States, SC, Charleston
Joined Mar 2007
16,311 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nopistn View Post
The speed brakes dont even work that well on the real thing at lower speeds. You can really feel the difference at 320kts, but below 250 the gear/flaps do a better job of actually slowing the airplane down.
Yup! gears & flaps will always bleed 25% of your forward speed.
demondriver is online now Find More Posts by demondriver
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 14, 2012, 03:48 PM
Up-Out-&-Gone
Joined Mar 2007
16,311 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdlilfan View Post
Agreed! The spoilers and reversers don't help a lot on the actual aircraft. Performance at our airline is predicated without it. In most of our daily ops we aren't allowed to use them. Brakes are cheaper to burn up compared to fuel and engine maintenance.
JD I guess you guys land on Nice Long runways not to have to use reversers Huh? But I would bet landing on a smaller 5000 or less runway you've gotta deploy those reversers & air-brakes.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 14, 2012, 03:52 PM
United States, TX, Cibolo
Joined Nov 2011
350 Posts
DD, Just curious, how much does your glass parts way, i'm thinking about possibly doing one in the near future but will probably use a preperg fiberglas to keep weight down, nose, tailcone and nacelles.
Hollywood2979 is offline Find More Posts by Hollywood2979
Old Dec 14, 2012, 04:02 PM
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Mar 2010
829 Posts
Spoilers automatically deploy with thrust levers idle and wheelspeed above 25kts. Yeah, we cant really use reverse unless shorter than 7,000ft. And then we can only use idle. Company policy. Landing flaps 45 at 43,000 lbs should only use about 3,500 ft of runway without reverse.
jdlilfan is offline Find More Posts by jdlilfan
Old Dec 14, 2012, 05:10 PM
Up-Out-&-Gone
Joined Mar 2007
16,311 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood2979 View Post
DD, Just curious, how much does your glass parts way, i'm thinking about possibly doing one in the near future but will probably use a preperg fiberglas to keep weight down, nose, tailcone and nacelles.
I hope these Photos show how light both the Fiberglass Nose and tail are together . . .VERY light Indeed.
I'm hoping for a flying weight from 1.8lbs to 2.1 lbs Tops!
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 14, 2012, 05:13 PM
Up-Out-&-Gone
Joined Mar 2007
16,311 Posts
Quote:
Spoilers automatically deploy with thrust levers idle and wheelspeed above 25kts. Yeah, we cant really use reverse unless shorter than 7,000ft. And then we can only use idle. Company policy. Landing flaps 45 at 43,000 lbs should only use about 3,500 ft of runway without reverse.
I see. . . .3,500 feet man thats a short runway, I remember flight training in a Piper Cherokee 180 how fast a 3,500 foot runway ran out . . .. .Pretty darn quick Lol
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 15, 2012, 12:08 AM
Joined Apr 2008
250 Posts
Quote:
Haha, I'm guessing you're at eagle... yalls company policies are a little differant. We pop the buckets on every landing... and burning "Jeff's Gas" is way cheaper than burning our brakes.
And the brakes on the EP models suck so if you actually use them on landing, and have to do a quick turn, they will still be too hot to take off!
nopistn is offline Find More Posts by nopistn
Old Dec 15, 2012, 12:15 AM
Up-Out-&-Gone
Joined Mar 2007
16,311 Posts
Quote:
Haha, I'm guessing you're at eagle... yalls company policies are a little differant. We pop the buckets on every landing... and burning "Jeff's Gas" is way cheaper than burning our brakes.
And the brakes on the EP models suck so if you actually use them on landing, and have to do a quick turn, they will still be too hot to take off!
Nopistn whats your biggest gripe about the ERJ-145 series? and whats the best thing about them . . . . . .from a pilots point of view.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 15, 2012, 10:13 AM
Joined Apr 2008
250 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by demondriver View Post
Nopistn whats your biggest gripe about the ERJ-145 series? and whats the best thing about them . . . . . .from a pilots point of view.
I'd say the avionics that ours are equipped with are pretty poor.
Examples:
If you're going fast and or have a tail wind, the flight driector will often overshoot a course, then over correct several times resulting in many unnecessary turns and sometimes causing concern from ATC while overshooting a localizer (final approach course for a runway) with other traffic on a parallel runway.
The speed hold feature is also very poor, causeing the airplane to pitch erratically while attempting to chase a speed, especially in anything less then perfectly smooth air.
I also despise the bicycle handlebars for a yoke.
But really those negatives will have nothing to do with your model at all.

As far as actually flying the airplane, I like it a lot.
I like the direct (unassisted) cable link to the elevator which is well balanced and feels nice.
I like the trailing link landing gear (better design than the CRJ) that helps smooth out controlled crashes.
I like being able to open the side windows on the ground.
It's also pretty technically advanced (idiot proof) and it will basically ding or yell at you most of the time if you're messing or is something goes wrong.
nopistn is offline Find More Posts by nopistn
Old Dec 15, 2012, 10:52 AM
United States, TX, Cibolo
Joined Nov 2011
350 Posts
That is pretty light, how many layers do you use and is it the 3/4 oz hobby cloth, do you vaccuum bag it or just lay it up on the plugs? Im thinking when I do mine I may do one layer of prepreg and vaccuum bag it to the plug and then do a light ply ring to stifen it.
Hollywood2979 is offline Find More Posts by Hollywood2979
Old Dec 15, 2012, 11:46 AM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by demondriver View Post
Yup! gears & flaps will always bleed 25% of your forward speed.
you'd be surprised at that statement. the actual speed difference between landing flap settings and zero flaps isn't that much. on a 767, the differential between the two is only about 10 knots in a 767. what changes dramatically is the approach angle to the runway. of course, if you don't fly finals with power, flaps will bleed off airspeed till stall occurs, which is why finals are always flown power-on. it's actually a mistake I see too many RC pilots make, because they simply don't understand aerodynamics. they don't set up a good glide path with the elevator and use careful power inputs to increase and decrease altitude.

I'm sure every airplane is slightly different, but the general statement is that flaps don't change the approach speed too much, only the approach angle.
LuvEvolution7 is offline Find More Posts by LuvEvolution7
Old Dec 15, 2012, 01:57 PM
Up-Out-&-Gone
Joined Mar 2007
16,311 Posts
Quote:
I'd say the avionics that ours are equipped with are pretty poor.
Examples:
If you're going fast and or have a tail wind, the flight driector will often overshoot a course, then over correct several times resulting in many unnecessary turns and sometimes causing concern from ATC while overshooting a localizer (final approach course for a runway) with other traffic on a parallel runway.
The speed hold feature is also very poor, causeing the airplane to pitch erratically while attempting to chase a speed, especially in anything less then perfectly smooth air.
I also despise the bicycle handlebars for a yoke.
But really those negatives will have nothing to do with your model at all.

As far as actually flying the airplane, I like it a lot.
I like the direct (unassisted) cable link to the elevator which is well balanced and feels nice.
I like the trailing link landing gear (better design than the CRJ) that helps smooth out controlled crashes.
I like being able to open the side windows on the ground.
It's also pretty technically advanced (idiot proof) and it will basically ding or yell at you most of the time if you're messing or is something goes wrong.
Wow! so I guess you do allot of manual overide of the auto-pilot Huh and you hear allot of "where the FUKKKK are you going????? from ATC lol

Bike handlebars? hey its like flying the Old Hawker Siddely Trident! lol

Coolest thing is how she looks from the outside too! the 145 is a good looking bird!
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by demondriver; Dec 15, 2012 at 02:10 PM.
Old Dec 15, 2012, 02:01 PM
Up-Out-&-Gone
Joined Mar 2007
16,311 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood2979 View Post
That is pretty light, how many layers do you use and is it the 3/4 oz hobby cloth, do you vaccuum bag it or just lay it up on the plugs? Im thinking when I do mine I may do one layer of prepreg and vaccuum bag it to the plug and then do a light ply ring to stifen it.
One layer of Fiberglass, and don't worry its very strong and Light!
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 15, 2012, 02:08 PM
Up-Out-&-Gone
Joined Mar 2007
16,311 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvEvolution7 View Post
you'd be surprised at that statement. the actual speed difference between landing flap settings and zero flaps isn't that much. on a 767, the differential between the two is only about 10 knots in a 767. what changes dramatically is the approach angle to the runway. of course, if you don't fly finals with power, flaps will bleed off airspeed till stall occurs, which is why finals are always flown power-on. it's actually a mistake I see too many RC pilots make, because they simply don't understand aerodynamics. they don't set up a good glide path with the elevator and use careful power inputs to increase and decrease altitude.

I'm sure every airplane is slightly different, but the general statement is that flaps don't change the approach speed too much, only the approach angle.
Very true Rich thats why when I maidened my 767 I had fixed gears and had the flaps at about 20degs, so I knew to keep her at a relativly high throttle level, but now I have retracts & made other improvements the 2nd flight will be VERY interesting . . . . . .I hope
RCG Plus Member