SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 06, 2012, 03:24 PM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Jan 2008
1,853 Posts
Finally took my UMC out yesterday for the first time in awhile... no luck. First the 150mah eflight battery I've only used like 10 times puffed up after charge for what reason I do not know, then the plane wouldn't bind to my RTF controller.. Whisky Tango Fox? Go home and try it with my MSR-X and it won't bind to IT either! Tried a different lipo... same thing. RTF controller batteries I'm assuming are good because the RTF TX is supposed to blink its LED if they are low. Now I can't even discharge the puffed 150 so Its probably eff'd.
seeingeyegod is offline Find More Posts by seeingeyegod
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 06, 2012, 05:52 PM
United States, UT, Salt Lake City
Joined Aug 2008
30 Posts
I Modded my micro Citabria box to make a backpack case for the corsair. I am sure you could do the same with the corsair box but I didn't want to chop that one up yet.
Sr.Sancho is offline Find More Posts by Sr.Sancho
Old Aug 06, 2012, 06:14 PM
Do you see what I see?
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Joined Sep 2006
1,775 Posts
WOW, definitely a nice size box now!!! I'd love to take that when I head outta town in a commercial airliner!!!
rcoconut is offline Find More Posts by rcoconut
Old Aug 06, 2012, 06:50 PM
Joined Aug 2008
30 Posts
I only wanted it big enough for the plane since I am not worried about breaking my TX or accessories. It is still a tight fit for my backback but it worked and it handled the 2 mile walk and 2 busses to work without breaking.
Old Aug 06, 2012, 11:07 PM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Jan 2008
1,853 Posts
Well, this is another whisky tango foxtrot, but a better one. My RTF controller apparently unbroke itself because now it is working again with both my UM Corsair and MSR-X... AHHHHH makes no sense!. I didn't even put new batteries in!

/in the market for a gently used DX5
seeingeyegod is offline Find More Posts by seeingeyegod
Old Aug 06, 2012, 11:43 PM
build, fly, crash, repeat ...
United States, OR, Beavercreek
Joined Jan 2004
1,942 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seeingeyegod View Post
Well, this is another whisky tango foxtrot, but a better one. My RTF controller apparently unbroke itself because now it is working again with both my UM Corsair and MSR-X... AHHHHH makes no sense!. I didn't even put new batteries in!

I think a low li-po will cause that problem, I've had that happen to my planes before, they wouldn't bind to my DX5e, then change out the Li-Po for a fresh one, and the plane binds to the radio and everything works.
Stuart Linfoot is offline Find More Posts by Stuart Linfoot
Old Aug 07, 2012, 05:40 AM
Do you see what I see?
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Joined Sep 2006
1,775 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seeingeyegod View Post

Guess a DX6i wouldn't work for ya? I really liked my DX6i, good luck
rcoconut is offline Find More Posts by rcoconut
Old Aug 07, 2012, 01:33 PM
Tossing planes into the snow
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
3,169 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sr.Sancho View Post
I would like to find a way to maintain orientation though as sometimes I had a hard time telling which side of the plane I was looking at.
I had the same problem as well. After painting the tops of the wings yellow, the problem was solved. The ailerons and elevator are still stock color. Here is a picture...

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=1071
Jovanx is offline Find More Posts by Jovanx
Old Aug 08, 2012, 12:03 AM
build, fly, crash, repeat ...
United States, OR, Beavercreek
Joined Jan 2004
1,942 Posts
that corsair is still a hand full to fly, I've checked and rechecked the balance, I got it spot on from what I can tell, but the darn thing is all over the sky when you try to fly it, so far I've landed it on the roof of my house, in the tree next to the driveway, I'm a good pilot, been flying for 40 something years and I'll be darned if I can't get this thing to go anywhere I'm trying to point it.

I added a gram of nose weight this after noon just on the chance that my balancing could be wrong and it seemed to fly a little better, that is until the prop flew off ...

I'm telling ya, this thing don't fly anywhere near as good as the one did that the dog ate, and I'm beginning to think that this one here is jinxed, it just don't wanna straighten up and fly right, and every time I do fly it, it seems like something weird and stupid goes wrong with it. it definitely has a mind of it's own, it don't wanna do what I tell it to do, won't listen to me at all, very stubborn little plane.

and on top of that, with all the control surfaces toned way down to their bare minimum throw settings, the thing still flys like an out of control missile on it's own projectory.

don't get me wrong, I ain't complain'en, I'm jus say'en
Stuart Linfoot is offline Find More Posts by Stuart Linfoot
Last edited by Stuart Linfoot; Aug 08, 2012 at 12:13 AM.
Old Aug 08, 2012, 05:21 AM
Balsa Builder. With some foam.
Eastern Norway Scandinavia
Joined Dec 2009
1,095 Posts
Mine fly well with 50 % on the rudders, and some gram weight in the nose. I have also removed the landing gear. But I agree, it's a handful.
ArneHu is offline Find More Posts by ArneHu
Old Aug 08, 2012, 11:37 AM
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
3,169 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart Linfoot View Post
that corsair is still a hand full to fly, I've checked and rechecked the balance, I got it spot on from what I can tell, but the darn thing is all over the sky when you try to fly it, so far I've landed it on the roof of my house, in the tree next to the driveway, I'm a good pilot, been flying for 40 something years and I'll be darned if I can't get this thing to go anywhere I'm trying to point it.
With no wind and no wheels, mine flies dead straight out of my hand. As far as pitch goes, it stays level at about 1/2 to 2/3 throttle, depending on the state of the battery. If I put on some aileron and elevator trim, it will do nice neat circles hands-free. What exactly does yours do if you try to fly in a straight line?
Old Aug 08, 2012, 12:33 PM
when down=up, up=expensive
United States, VA, Roanoke
Joined Apr 2012
3,070 Posts
GeeBee (as3x) Aileron servos on a UM Corsair?

Hoping that one of you all can help me. I bought a used corsair that's in pretty decent condition. Unfortunately, the starboard aileron servo is completely stuck and needs to be replaced. I could go down to the LHS, but it's a bit of a haul, so I'm hoping to use something I've already got.

I just finished re-building my GeeBee with a new airframe that came with aileron servos, leaving me with two extras. Can I use these servos in the UM corsair?

Stuart, I hate to hear the trouble you are having with that Corsair. keep us posted!
whichwaysup is offline Find More Posts by whichwaysup
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Clever sayings
Old Aug 08, 2012, 02:31 PM
when down=up, up=expensive
United States, VA, Roanoke
Joined Apr 2012
3,070 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whichwaysup View Post
Hoping that one of you all can help me. I bought a used corsair that's in pretty decent condition. Unfortunately, the starboard aileron servo is completely stuck and needs to be replaced. I could go down to the LHS, but it's a bit of a haul, so I'm hoping to use something I've already got.

I just finished re-building my GeeBee with a new airframe that came with aileron servos, leaving me with two extras. Can I use these servos in the UM corsair?
Well, the answer is "yes" - Just swapped out the original corsair servos for two GeeBee servos and it works great (with a lot less "singing").

Maidened the Corsair today and it flew FAR better than I expected. I cut out a little of the cowl to get the battery further forward and with a little trimming, she flies great. Admittedly, she's not nearly as nice flying as my UM mustang, nor as powerful, but it is a Corsair, so she get's beauty points. I think an XP motor upgrade from RC babbel is in her future, but I think for now she's a great front yard flyer.
whichwaysup is offline Find More Posts by whichwaysup
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Clever sayings
Old Aug 09, 2012, 10:44 PM
Joined Aug 2008
30 Posts
For some relaxing figure eights in a great looking plane this thing is awesome. I just spent 2 hours flying this at the local park, found out that the big field in the park I have flown in for years was actually built to be a flying field. Had someone get mad at me because I was there before them flying and now I was flying over their heads while they played soccer. I wasn't even close to being over their heads but he wanted to complain anyway. He was even more angry when I showed him the information designating it as a flying field. I should have asked him to leave. Back to the point though, I am so happy I bought this plane, it is so much more relaxing than I expected but it can still be slightly aggressive and if you know you are going in you can usually cut power and it hits the grass like a feather.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 12:14 AM
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
3,169 Posts
Sr.Sancho
I'm happy to hear this after all the reports of people struggling with this plane. I also find it relaxing and fun but did not at first. Now that it is properly trimmed, it is so easy to fly, even in wind.

This soccer field thing needs to be handled carefully. If push comes to shove, the soccer team is going to win and the lonely Corsair pilot is going to lose. Even though the field was designated as a flying area, that doesn't mean the rules can't be changed.

I also fly in a soccer field, and consider myself very lucky because it is right across the street from where I live. My biggest nightmare is that some day it will be off-limits as is the case in so many towns and cities. I don't push my luck, and if there are people playing I get in the car and go to another place that is usually vacant. If it's only a couple of people walking their dog or kids, I fly and so far there have been no complaints. On the contrary people and kids love it.

We have to police ourselves, or else somebody else will police us.