SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 22, 2011, 08:33 PM
Arizona Aviator
Prescott AZ
Joined Dec 2004
165 Posts
Help!
Mystery c/l bipe

It's said that as we grow older we begin to recall very old memories. A mental image of this model airplane came to me recently almost as clearly as if it had been yesterday when I built it.... but it was really about 1951 or '52 I think. It was my very first model airplane, built with Grandpa's help on Grandma's kitchen table.

It was a kit; I wish I could remember what brand. The wings were solid balsa, about 16" span, pre-shaped with rounded wingtips, needing only finish sanding and painting. The fuselage came in pre-shaped upper and lower halves, solid balsa routed out to leave about 1/4" thinckness. Instead of cabine struts attaching the upper wing, there was just solid balsa, shaped as part of the upper fuse half, as was the turtledeck. Tail feathers were solid balsa, hinged with strips of an old rag.

The wing struts were single thin ply (?) "I" struts, the left one having lead-out guides. I'm pretty sure the bellcrank was aluminum. It was powered by an OK Cub .049 that finally started after about five hundred flips. Grandma put her foot down about running that in her home!

I painted it orange with blue trim in non-fuel proof nitrate dope! It must have been desperately tail heavy, but I didn't understand that at the time. It crashed on its first flight, but I was hooked anyway... and remain so to this day.

Can anyone help me out with a guess as to whose kit? Possibly a name? Anybody else ever have one?

Dan
pysonya is offline Find More Posts by pysonya
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 23, 2011, 03:02 AM
Tampere, Finland
Joined Nov 2004
4,341 Posts
It reminded me of Keil Kraft Scout, but the Scout seems to be larger and is built up

http://www.model-plans.co.uk/Keil%20...t%20Scout.html

http://www.replikit.com/replikit2010...emart&Itemid=1
perttime is online now Find More Posts by perttime
Old Mar 23, 2011, 01:11 PM
United States, WI, Elm Grove
Joined Apr 2007
414 Posts
There were quite a few biplane kits back then that may have fit your description. Manufacturers were Enterprise and Scientific, as examples. Plane examples: Little Bipe, Little Toot, Knight Twister, Thunderbird (Scientific), P6_E (Enterprise). Search on ebay for control line, u-control, Scientific, Enterprise under the "control line" category. These planes show up quite often.

Here are a few pics I found on the internet.

Jim
jjscott is offline Find More Posts by jjscott
Old Mar 23, 2011, 01:42 PM
Tampere, Finland
Joined Nov 2004
4,341 Posts
Blackhawk Models is still producing 1/2A kits and there's a few biplanes there too. I'm not sure if anything matches the description, though.

http://www.blackhawkmodels.com/nighthawk.html

http://www.blackhawkmodels.com/fs.html
Old Mar 23, 2011, 02:17 PM
United States, WI, Elm Grove
Joined Apr 2007
414 Posts
Ebay listing for an Enterprise Knight Twister. It's a good listing in that it shows all the kit parts.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ENTERPRISE-KNIGH...item51986763be

Jim
jjscott is offline Find More Posts by jjscott
Old Mar 23, 2011, 10:34 PM
Arizona Aviator
Prescott AZ
Joined Dec 2004
165 Posts
I think I've got it !!

A lead I got from zeroskin76 in the 1/2A forum gave me the path to do some research. Apparently Walt Musciano was Scientific Model's designer, and was known for his "hollow log" balsa fuselages. I believe my mystery airplane is the one in the far upper left corner of this old Scientific ad. Mine didn't have the spinner and streamlined nose, just the bare beam-mounted OK CUB .049.

This group of forums is just amazing. Thanks everybody.
Dan
Old Mar 24, 2011, 03:09 AM
Tampere, Finland
Joined Nov 2004
4,341 Posts
A good percentage of Blackhawk's kits are Scientific reproductions but they don't seem to have that exact model.
Old Mar 24, 2011, 10:50 AM
Arizona Aviator
Prescott AZ
Joined Dec 2004
165 Posts
I spoke too soon...

Rats. After chatting with Larry at Blackhawk Models it seems the Mighty Mite can NOT be my mystery bipe. Despite it otherwise fitting the description, Larry says the MM is a profile fuselage model, and does not have the hollow log fuselage design. I also do not find my bipe among the approved designs for the Musciano contests, so anything by Walt Musciano is probably a dead end as well. Larry says Berkely did have two-piece hollow fuselages in some of their designs, but he didn't know if other manufacturers might also.

So I guess I'm pretty much back to square one, and again seeking the collective recollections and wisdom of the forumites to find my early fifties 1/2A biplane. Thanks guys.

Dan
Old Mar 24, 2011, 05:36 PM
Old Timer
USA, TX, San Antonio
Joined Jun 2010
876 Posts
Enterprise was another frequently advertised brand of small model kits, and sold quite a few "hollow log" models (I built some back in 1951, and used a sticky mess called "Fuel Proofer" atop the Testors nitrate dope that never did cure properly, which hastened my switch over to Pactra).

However, I tried to find "Enterprise" using Google and Yahoo, and really didn't find much. That was several years ago (I'd built several Enterprise designs, and only one from Scientific when I was just a pre-adolescent newby modeller).

I did find this later this evening:

http://www.airplanesandrockets.com/i...l-1957-p45.jpg

Look at the Half-A P-6E Bipe on the left side there.

http://bitvoador.files.wordpress.com/2011/02/p-602.jpg

Also, down at the bottom is one of the ones that I built way back then, called the Slick Trick.

Kiwi
The Kiwi is offline Find More Posts by The Kiwi
Last edited by The Kiwi; Mar 24, 2011 at 11:16 PM.
Old Mar 25, 2011, 02:32 AM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Jul 2004
2,103 Posts
I think I just posted this ad on another topic, but here goes again. 2 piece hollow log, leadouts half way between wings, upper wing mounted on top of fue or turttledeck, beam mounted engine, separate tank, round wing tips. Close to your description?
50+AirYears is offline Find More Posts by 50+AirYears
Old Mar 25, 2011, 09:37 PM
Arizona Aviator
Prescott AZ
Joined Dec 2004
165 Posts
Yes, thanks 50+, I saw it on the 1/2A forum. It is very close, with all the construction style details I remember. This bipe does not have the raised turtledeck and top wing mount I remember, but it's otherwise VERY close. None of the Enterprise ads I've seen online so far show it either; but I'm suspecting it may well be an Enterprise offering because of the bellcrank mount and internal fuel tank. Super good lead, just not quite to the gold ring yet.

The P-6 Hawk is beautiful, but it's not the a/c I remember.

Thanks for sharing the search effort, guys.

Dan
Old Mar 26, 2011, 01:39 AM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Jul 2004
2,103 Posts
Found another that seems to have the raised wing support. Maybe getting closer?
Old Mar 26, 2011, 10:41 AM
Arizona Aviator
Prescott AZ
Joined Dec 2004
165 Posts
This time that's really got to be it !!

The Monarch "Sweet Chariot."

That has got to be it. It fits all the parameters: two piece hollow log fuselage with integral turtledeck, solid cabine structure forward of the cockpit instead of cabine struts, "I" shaped interplane struts, rounded wingtips, and now that I see it I even recall the cutout in the upper wing center-section. The wing mounts with that cutout at the front of the cockpit and the trailing edge of the upper wing hangs out beside the cockpit.

Thank you so much, Anthony! You nailed it.

And thanks everybody else for the close matches. Isn't this forum just amazing? The collective knowledge and recollections among the members is such a resource to us all.

Now that I'm convinced we know what it is, did anyone perhaps have one of these, and have memories to share and (now I get greedy) perhaps a picture of a Monarch "Sweet Chariot" built up? So far my internet search for images has only lead to album covers of gospel music.

Dan
Old Mar 26, 2011, 01:03 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Jul 2004
2,103 Posts
We're just one big Biologic RAM database. Random Access Memories - VERY random. Glad to be of help.

Here's the only Monarch plane I have. That's a very old O K Cub .074 on it. The plane is the 1/2A Vitamin.
BTW, I left off the Asbestos paper cowl piece that came with the kit.
Last edited by 50+AirYears; Mar 26, 2011 at 01:10 PM.
Old Mar 27, 2011, 05:04 AM
NSWFFS
Richmond NSW Oz
Joined Apr 2005
706 Posts
From the collectair website :

The Monarch Sweet Chariot biplane model has an 18-inch wingspan and the model is completely pre-fabricated from balsa. This kit is complete. It is listed as being suitable for all .045 to .099 engines. The kit is from the post WW2 period, approximately 50 years old.

The box has edge scuffing and is structurally sound. The plan has significant acid yellowing on that portion facing either the box or the wood. The two-piece, hollow balsa fuselage and wings have been nicely carved - a little sanding and filler and it would be ready to paint. This vintage kit would make a great "builder," fitting one of the Cox .049 engines which are readily available.

The kit they had is sold I'm afraid and the only other image i the one 50+ posted earlier.

Cheers,
Rob
McGiver is offline Find More Posts by McGiver