HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 14, 2008, 12:39 AM
Salt Lake City Utah
Joined Mar 2004
3,364 Posts
Discussion
ME262 nightfighter conversion

Started this conversion a bit back. Turning the single seat GWS262 into a ME262B two seat nightfighter. I'm is using scratch built nacelles for EDF55's like the other 262's that I've done in the past. Motors are hand wound outrunners powered by one 36 amp controller. Almost ready to vac-u-form canopy, then do the radar antenna assy., carve pilots and paint.

Cheers--Stacker
stacker is online now Find More Posts by stacker
to remove ads between posts
Old May 14, 2008, 02:24 PM
Unrepentant Carnivore
Brandon, Fl
Joined Mar 2005
2,508 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stacker
... Motors are hand wound outrunners powered by one 36 amp controller.
Stacker

OK - I would love to do this on an A-10. Tell me/us the secret!

Jim
jamesdr is offline Find More Posts by jamesdr
Old May 14, 2008, 03:00 PM
Salt Lake City Utah
Joined Mar 2004
3,364 Posts
Jim,
Two motors one one controller is hit and miss. I've had good luck using Castle Tbird controllers for this. Also I use mostly outrunners. Type of outrunner also has a lot to do with getting it to work. One thing to keep in mind also, if it does not work well there is a good chance of smoking controllers since false starts are real hard on them. Right now I'm doing it with two 262's and A-10, also P38 and on my scratch B52 I run four fans on two controllers.

Cheers--Stacker
Old May 16, 2008, 01:03 AM
Suspended Account
Mercer Co. PA
Joined Mar 2008
825 Posts
Another nice bash Dave.
I'm still kicking around the idea of doing another, and using some Microfans I have built up with Hyperion Y22S 6000kv motors. Could make some really scale nacelles.

Based on my Arado 16/43-19 bash from Cox Airlifter, I'm convinced the GWS262 would even fly on EDF50 fans with 25turn Feigaos. My Arado will ROG with the lower kv 28trun motors. It wouldn't be a powerhouse but the weight saving would almost certainly make it flyable. Again, very scale nacelles too.

Bill
EDF30 is offline Find More Posts by EDF30
Old May 16, 2008, 11:05 AM
Salt Lake City Utah
Joined Mar 2004
3,364 Posts
Thanks Bill,

You are right that Microfans would work well. Here is a picture of my second 262 that was lost on second flight because of one engine low voltage shutdown. This one used 51mm Hoya's (sp) and the same outrunners as all the others. Speed seemed faster then with the 55's, maybe because of frontal area. You may want to check these fans out, but I don't believe the Hyperion's will fit them because of the cooling fins. I've still got this setup ready on another wing and may use it on the two seater.

Thanks again--Stacker
Old Jun 20, 2008, 01:11 AM
Joined Apr 2005
47 Posts
Some update?
javierospina is offline Find More Posts by javierospina
Old Jun 21, 2008, 04:28 AM
Horten Heretic
nowhere, Australia
Joined Dec 2004
196 Posts
looks good, I've just started my own conversion. What retracts are you using? I can't find any steerable nose retract units for this size.

lets see an update!

- Arbiter -
Au_Arbiter is offline Find More Posts by Au_Arbiter
Old Jun 22, 2008, 08:13 PM
Salt Lake City Utah
Joined Mar 2004
3,364 Posts
Sorry guys not much work on this one. Hope to get back on it soon. Pretty much just need to vac-u-form the canopy and paint. I just get sidetracked a lot.

Arbiter, I used the Alfa retracts for the mains and modified a gws blue for the nose on my retract versions. I think GWS now has a nose gear out that will work if you can find it at a store.

Cheers--Stacker
Old Jun 23, 2008, 01:14 PM
AMA 353531
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined Aug 2003
6,564 Posts
X-flight and rc-warbirds have suitable pneumatic sets with steerable nosegear.
rdeis is offline Find More Posts by rdeis
Old Jun 24, 2008, 01:55 PM
East Yorkshire UK
Joined Dec 2005
303 Posts
maybe its my age

For the life of me I just cannot understand why anyone would want to ruin the beautiful lines of the Me. 262 by converting it to a 2 seater. And, on top of that, all that aerial array of the Lichstenstein radar How long would it last? Every landing would have to be nose-up and gentle
molders is offline Find More Posts by molders
Old Jun 24, 2008, 03:52 PM
Salt Lake City Utah
Joined Mar 2004
3,364 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by molders
For the life of me I just cannot understand why anyone would want to ruin the beautiful lines of the Me. 262 by converting it to a 2 seater. And, on top of that, all that aerial array of the Lichstenstein radar How long would it last? Every landing would have to be nose-up and gentle

Gee, I never even thought of these things?? I've taken a prefect kit and destroyed it. What was I thinking??? I must rememember to ask sombody like yourself before I do these things.

--Stacker
Old Jun 24, 2008, 08:25 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
22,826 Posts
dont worry stack, most of my favorite airplanes arnt exactly...pretty. im atracted to the more, not so pretty birds...like F-4's, A-4's and some of the WWII stuff that is kinda crude looking, but cool at the same time...like a KFIR...not so pretty...but freakin awsome at the same time. still have a special place for the F86, P-51, corsair, F-20, F-104...designs that just look right. to each his own, but i enjoy a vast aray of pretty/ugly yet awsome birds...like the B-52 for instance..no pretty...but its hell'a cool.
corsair nut is online now Find More Posts by corsair nut
Old Jun 24, 2008, 09:08 PM
Registered Triplane Addict
Winchester MA
Joined Jun 2004
1,770 Posts
this is a cool conversion... keep at it. Should be a nice change of pace from your other single seaters!
68Strat is offline Find More Posts by 68Strat
Old Jun 24, 2008, 10:25 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
22,826 Posts
Quote:

dave, hes just mad becuase those flying twin engine match boxes would have been no match for the night fighter 262..
corsair nut is online now Find More Posts by corsair nut
Old Jun 25, 2008, 02:33 AM
Joined Apr 2005
47 Posts
Quote:
Are you sure?
javierospina is offline Find More Posts by javierospina