HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 21, 2014, 10:48 PM
Joined Jul 2011
229 Posts
Discussion
Horizon Hobbies Vaterra Halix

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...0-rtr-VTR03003

I searched and couldn't find any thread dedicated to the Vaterra Halix
How many people are loving their Halix? I have been flying heli's for a couple years, recently got into planes & quadcopter's and just got a Halix for my first car
Feal free to post videos and pics of your Halix's, discuss mods, ask/answer question, etc...
Jomaba4308 is offline Find More Posts by Jomaba4308
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 24, 2014, 08:41 PM
Joined Jul 2011
229 Posts
Wow, maybe there was a reason there wasn't a discussion thread for the Halix. Either nobody has one or nobody want to talk about it.

Just in case I'm wrong, check out this axle upgrade ( http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...halix-MIP14185 ). They are heavy, hardened steel axles. If they do break, you are doing something wrong.
Old Apr 25, 2014, 01:30 AM
Did you check the FAQ already?
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
13,595 Posts
I don't own a Halix or any Vaterra, but maybe it has something to do with some vehicles being discontinued shortly after release. This doesn't help build reputation that it's a brand that is here to stay.
SoloProFan is offline Find More Posts by SoloProFan
Old Apr 25, 2014, 07:12 AM
Joined Jul 2011
229 Posts
The only one that I know was quickly discontinued was the Kemora/Kalahari. The street cars, buggy, and the Twin Hammers have been out for awhile. The Halix is fairly new compared to the other Vaterra's.
Old Apr 25, 2014, 01:02 PM
Did you check the FAQ already?
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
13,595 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jomaba4308 View Post
The only one that I know was quickly discontinued was the Kemora/Kalahari. The street cars, buggy, and the Twin Hammers have been out for awhile. The Halix is fairly new compared to the other Vaterra's.

The Glamis Uno has also been dropped, in favor of the 4 seater version. I believe many parts are compatible, but it still is pretty soon after it's introduction. Or maybe Vaterra owners are not very talkative, I don't know.
SoloProFan is offline Find More Posts by SoloProFan
Old Apr 25, 2014, 01:58 PM
Joined Jul 2011
229 Posts
I didn't know that one was discontinued.
Edit: it seems like you might be on to something with Vaterra owners not being talkative. Or maybe they are having too much fun at the pit to bother with forums.
Last edited by Jomaba4308; Apr 25, 2014 at 11:35 PM.
Old Apr 25, 2014, 02:16 PM
Joined Jul 2011
229 Posts
Nevermind
Last edited by Jomaba4308; May 04, 2014 at 07:54 PM.
Old May 04, 2014, 07:51 PM
Joined Jul 2011
229 Posts
I just put the MIP axles all around and the next run I melted every plastic part in the slipper clutch assembly. A bearing locked up and caused the shaft to heat up and soften the bushing enough that the tension spring pressed it and released the tension which allowed the clutch to slip a lot and melted the spur.
The metal bushing and metal shielded bearing should help prevent a next time.
Last edited by Jomaba4308; May 05, 2014 at 06:36 PM.
Old May 05, 2014, 02:39 PM
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined Aug 2011
137 Posts
just got one. Haven't run out yet. I have read all the issues folks are having with it, but it didn't discourage me. Seems like most issues are from running 3s and the brittle plastic drive shafts. I'll post more once I've got a few runs in. I do plan on getting metal shafts.
Theibault is online now Find More Posts by Theibault
Old May 05, 2014, 03:58 PM
Joined Mar 2014
44 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloProFan View Post
I don't own a Halix or any Vaterra, but maybe it has something to do with some vehicles being discontinued shortly after release. This doesn't help build reputation that it's a brand that is here to stay.
Amen to this...I opened a ticket about the Glamis Uno and was given the no information available garbage.....very shortly afterwards it was discontinued...

I think there was a period where it was "out of stock" as well...which is even better.

I purchased a second one at the price, but will be looking at other companies going forward.....
jeep1234 is offline Find More Posts by jeep1234
Old May 05, 2014, 06:50 PM
Joined Jul 2011
229 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theibault View Post
just got one. Haven't run out yet. I have read all the issues folks are having with it, but it didn't discourage me. Seems like most issues are from running 3s and the brittle plastic drive shafts. I'll post more once I've got a few runs in. I do plan on getting metal shafts.
The Halix is still a lot of fun even on 2s but can still break drive axles, definitely still less than 3s. I just installed the metal axles but haven't had a full run on them due the slipper assembly melting. I do love how easy it was to assemble the axles and install them. When I first got them, I was worried about the complexity of taking apart the diff's. Once I got into it though, it was surprisingly simple to work on. I've seen some complex cars but the Halix is not one of them.
I think you will love it once you get into it. Do far the worth while upgrades that I have found are the axles and the metal bushing upgrade on the slipper assembly. Maybe the metal shocks too, I had a lower shock cap come off and drain the oil.