http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2140596

I'm using it as a testbed for a indoor VTOL F-35. 40g AUW

-Adam
AJWoods is online now Find More Posts by AJWoods
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 05, 2014, 09:50 PM
Joined Aug 2007
4,243 Posts
Nice build. What flight time do you get compared to just flying with a single motor?
RCvertt is offline Find More Posts by RCvertt
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Chupacabra sighting !!!
Old Apr 05, 2014, 10:01 PM
Aircraft Designer Guy
Melrose, MA
Joined Jul 2005
1,418 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCvertt View Post
Nice build. What flight time do you get compared to just flying with a single motor?
On the wing it'll fly 5ish minutes. On the 150mAh cell hover is 1.5-2 minutes, after that the LVC on the nQx board kicks in, it'll bounce back up when you switch to the flight motor though. So a typical flight so far has been a minute of two of hovering, followed by a few minutes of flying around. My hope is that with the hotter motors, I'll be able to hover with a 250mAh cell, which should have enough juice left to sustain hover at the end of a flight.

-A
Old Apr 06, 2014, 12:36 AM
United States, CA, Sunnyvale
Joined Dec 2006
1,087 Posts
I love it! LOL
Ran D. St. Clair is offline Find More Posts by Ran D. St. Clair
Old Apr 06, 2014, 06:56 PM
Joined Aug 2007
4,243 Posts
Looks good AJWoods. Keep up the good work. I've been wondering how these things might work at a smaller scale.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 06, 2014, 07:07 PM
Aircraft Designer Guy
Melrose, MA
Joined Jul 2005
1,418 Posts
Thanks. It was surprisingly simple to setup, but it's definitely on the ragged edge battery wise. The small cells have sufficient capacity, but the vdrop in hover mode reaches the LVC too soon to take advantage of the capacity. I found a 35C 200 mAh cell which might be a nice compromise between the e-flite 150's and the hubsan 240.

I stiffened the frame and remounted the nQx board, which made hover much more stable. I may build a dedicated vapor like plane for the next rev. The vapor is working great, but the hstab is a bit too floppy for the extra weight, and hunts a bit in forward flight.

-Adam
Old Apr 09, 2014, 11:41 AM
Aircraft Designer Guy
Melrose, MA
Joined Jul 2005
1,418 Posts
Got full transition working:

Vapor Full Transition (1 min 24 sec)

Downwash over the tail makes getting out of hover less smooth than I'd like, going to cut a T-tail for it.

-A
Old Apr 09, 2014, 03:46 PM
Joined Aug 2007
4,243 Posts
That is a really great job. Very exciting to see!
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 17, 2014, 03:35 PM
Aircraft Designer Guy
Melrose, MA
Joined Jul 2005
1,418 Posts
Converted it to a T-Tail to get the stab out of the down wash. Transition is MUCH easier now>

VTOL Vapor T-Tail (1 min 22 sec)
Old Apr 17, 2014, 04:47 PM
Joined Dec 2006
1,087 Posts
Very very nice.
Old Apr 19, 2014, 08:26 AM
Winging it >
Joined May 2006
9,767 Posts
That is really cool Adam; great work!
leadfeather is offline Find More Posts by leadfeather
Old Apr 19, 2014, 10:19 AM
Aircraft Designer Guy
Melrose, MA
Joined Jul 2005
1,418 Posts
Thanks guys. The t-tail really makes the transition a non event, even just manually mixing the throttles. When I get settled after my move I'll post files for the motor mounts and tails. Its a pretty straightforward conversion I think a lot of people could manage.

A
Old Apr 19, 2014, 10:39 PM
Joined Dec 2006
1,087 Posts
I get the impression that you are using two separate throttles. Some people like that technique, and if you do that's great. I have found that it is difficult to manage, partly because I have to take my hand off the throttle/rudder stick to work the 2nd throttle pot/slider, partly because the pot/slider has poor tactile feedback, and partly because I never got comfortable with it, and sometimes moved the wrong throttle in the wrong direction.

Instead I set up my 3 position flap switch with a slowed transition from hover mode to "slow forward flight" to "Fast Forward Flight". I won't bore you with the details, but if you are interested the TX programming technique is covered on page two of this thread. I have since tested the method on the VTOL-FunCub and it works fine.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1958738&page=2
Old Apr 19, 2014, 11:08 PM
Aircraft Designer Guy
Melrose, MA
Joined Jul 2005
1,418 Posts
That's a good idea, I'll give it a try. You're right that those sliders always feel awkward, particularly with their heavy ratchets.

-A