Joined Dec 2006
4,258 Posts
Discussion
New Forum Suggestion WWI

New Forum Suggestion
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Forum Name: World War One Aeroplanes

Category: Scale World War One Aeroplanes

Description: A Forum Topic specifically for WW1 modelers and a Forum not delineated by propulsion systems and accommodating of Gasoline, Electric and Glow Powered propulsion systems.

Justification: Would be a place for a growing segment of the hobby to congregate, discuss, ask and answer questions about and show off their World War One projects. With the growing interest in Dawn Patrol type Fun Fly ins, this Forum Topic will be very popular and the category is under represented. Although they are Warbirds, people with this interest tend to post in many other locations. This would be a central location where people with this interest would be able to go and a central location for this subject.

List of yes votes: If I am incorrect in your vote, please let me know and I will delete from this list.
Mode One
Cooper998
Wattmann
CarraraGTSCS
Guy Fawcett
RC Capo
ARUP
Mike2663
JohnCole
Cracksmeup
EJWash1
Epoxyearl

12 yes, as of 12/24/2013
Mode One is offline Find More Posts by Mode One
Last edited by Mode One; Dec 24, 2013 at 06:50 AM. Reason: Running tally of positive votes.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 22, 2013, 11:28 AM
Nothing like a good WOODIE!
USA, DE, Newark
Joined Jun 2005
1,668 Posts
I am all for this! Being a big fan of WWI planes I think it would be a great place to share info about this aspect of our hobby.
Unfortunately there is little in the way of support for WWi and this forum may help that along, I say we go for it!

A side benefit is drawing more vendor support from thelikes of BalsaUSA, GTM, and Williams Brothers!

Tony
cooper998 is offline Find More Posts by cooper998
Old Dec 22, 2013, 12:06 PM
Evansville Dress Reg., Indiana, United States
Joined Jun 2004
1,105 Posts
Yes I also would like a WW1 forum .
BUT , I question the need for it to be ...........Category: Scale World War One Aeroplanes

I question the need for it to be "scale" , because that would be a very narrow focus for many of our most purchased WW1 biplanes .

wattman is offline Find More Posts by wattman
Old Dec 22, 2013, 12:16 PM
Lori, hey, you're home early
United States, NJ, Trenton
Joined Jan 2004
9,130 Posts
I agree. We've been having this discussion in another thread the concept being that there needs to be a targeted WWI forum that makes no distinction between power sources. Scale is scale no matter what form of energy turns the prop. For many if us it's the building, detailing and painting aspect that holds our interest and the sharing of that information. A secondary benefit will be the sharing of expertise from both the wet power and battery powered adherents. In the recent past it was the electric powered gurus sharing their knowledge of power packages and such to those wishing to transition from glo/gas to electric but now that most new pilots come to RC through electric powered models (an assumption on my part) the knowledge of how to power a glo/gas model is needed. I think that a forum of this sort would be valuable.

It would be much like the Forum: Aircraft- Exotic and Special Interest, then Waterplanes
CarreraGTSCS is offline Find More Posts by CarreraGTSCS
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Split elevator set up JR 9303
Old Dec 22, 2013, 01:06 PM
Staffs, UK
Joined Nov 2003
10,768 Posts
I like WW1 models though, as I don't like big models, I'm pretty sure that all those I'll build in the future will be electric powered.

So I can't personally think of a single good reason to water down the several existing useful Scale forums by moving much of their current content into a new forum. Count me as a "No".

Steve
slipstick is offline Find More Posts by slipstick
Old Dec 22, 2013, 01:25 PM
Lori, hey, you're home early
United States, NJ, Trenton
Joined Jan 2004
9,130 Posts
I don't see how condensing the knowledge would "water-down" anything but to each his own. I find myself searching both the electric and glo forums when interested in a plane. For example, my next project is a BUSA 1/4 scale Dr.1. I've done the same for my smaller models as well. For any amount of meaningful information I have to spend time in the glo forums even though I've been stictly electric for more than a decade. In broaching the subject of a combined forum I used the website RCScaleBuilder.com as an example of how scale is scale without definition or separation of power sources.
CarreraGTSCS is offline Find More Posts by CarreraGTSCS
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Split elevator set up JR 9303
Old Dec 22, 2013, 01:30 PM
RFC Cadet
Devon, Alberta, Canada
Joined May 2001
161 Posts
World War One Aeroplanes

I agree an all encompassing forum dedicated to pre -1919 aeroplanes would be of interest to me.

I also wonder about the whole division of modelling into various methods of propulsion that is a relic of RCGroups.com initial formation from an electric only forum to what it is today. But that is a totally different kettle of fish

wattman
BUT , I question the need for it to be ...........Category: Scale World War One Aeroplanes

I question the need for it to be "scale" , because that would be a very narrow focus for many of our most purchased WW1 biplanes .
End Quote

Not clear what this means, if your flying a WWI model it is scale, isn't it ?
Guy Fawcett is offline Find More Posts by Guy Fawcett
Old Dec 22, 2013, 01:32 PM
Isaiah 40:31
United States, FL, West Palm Beach
Joined Jun 2000
698 Posts
Would sub to a WW1 section. Especially with to 100 year annivesary coming up. Would have extra interest from towns around the world remembering.
rc capo is offline Find More Posts by rc capo
Last edited by rc capo; Dec 22, 2013 at 10:26 PM.
Old Dec 22, 2013, 04:01 PM
Closed Account
Joined Dec 2006
4,258 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slipstick View Post
I like WW1 models though, as I don't like big models, I'm pretty sure that all those I'll build in the future will be electric powered.

So I can't personally think of a single good reason to water down the several existing useful Scale forums by moving much of their current content into a new forum. Count me as a "No".

Steve
Steve, you are certainly entitled to your opinion; but, I too have a hard time understanding how having a central location where most information can be found would water down; or, make it more difficult to find information!
Old Dec 22, 2013, 04:52 PM
United States, KY, Taylorsville
Joined Mar 2010
1,756 Posts
I'd like to see a dedicated forum for WWI aeroplanes!
ARUP is offline Find More Posts by ARUP
Old Dec 22, 2013, 04:55 PM
All under control, Grommit!
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,667 Posts
Maybe we could have separate fora for 1914, 1915, 1916, 1917 and 1918, plus separate fora for monoplanes, biplanes, sesquiplanes, triplanes, quadraplanes, single seater scouts, two seater recce aeroplanes, multiengined bombers and so on and so forth?

There are already fora for scale aeroplanes, warbirds (including WWI), parkflyers, indoor and micro, etc etc etc. Adding one more forum has been demonstrated time and time again to just dilute the content by putting yet another place for the information to be posted.
leccyflyer is offline Find More Posts by leccyflyer
Old Dec 22, 2013, 05:53 PM
Closed Account
Joined Dec 2006
4,258 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by leccyflyer View Post
Maybe we could have separate fora for 1914, 1915, 1916, 1917 and 1918, plus separate fora for monoplanes, biplanes, sesquiplanes, triplanes, quadraplanes, single seater scouts, two seater recce aeroplanes, multiengined bombers and so on and so forth?

There are already fora for scale aeroplanes, warbirds (including WWI), parkflyers, indoor and micro, etc etc etc. Adding one more forum has been demonstrated time and time again to just dilute the content by putting yet another place for the information to be posted.
I just visited the Fuel Warbirds forum. In three pages of posts, not one World War One Airplane post was found. So, that is not a forum used by WW1 advocates. Therefore, people by their own choice, have decided that at least Fuel Warbirds does not include WW1.

There are all kinds of bias in these forums, stupidly some WW2 guys hate WW1 aeroplanes, or vice verses! Still other people feel only the type(s) of aircraft they are interested in, should be included in the specific threads they visit.

Leccy, your entitled to your opinion, and a simple "NO" probably would of sufficed.
Old Dec 22, 2013, 06:01 PM
All under control, Grommit!
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,667 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mode One View Post
I just visited the Fuel Warbirds forum. In three pages of posts, not one World War One Airplane post was found. So, that is not a forum used by WW1 advocates. Therefore, people by their own choice, have decided that at least Fuel Warbirds does not include WW1.
Not true. As a matter of demonstrable fact, I will hereby predict, prior to checking, that there will be WW1 aeroplanes in that forum.

Lo and behold, there are

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1749010

Quote:

There are all kinds of bias in these forums, stupidly some WW2 guys hate WW1 aeroplanes, or vice verses! Still other people feel only the type(s) of aircraft they are interested in, should be included in the specific threads they visit.

Leccy, your entitled to your opinion, and a simple "NO" probably would of sufficed.
Nope, a simple "No" would not have sufficed, IMO, an explanation and a presentation of a logical argument against the continued needless splitting of the content was my choice as a contribution to this thread.

It is simply not for you to decide what anyone else should choose to post and attempting to front load against any contrary opinion has not been a successful strategy to adopt, in regard to these sort of proposals.
leccyflyer is offline Find More Posts by leccyflyer
Old Dec 22, 2013, 06:18 PM
RFC Cadet
Devon, Alberta, Canada
Joined May 2001
161 Posts
leccyflyer in some ways you are correct there are too many fora but this request actually moves in a different direction. If all WWI scale posts migrated to one location and all Golden age posts to another location and all WWII posts and so on. The various other fora such Scale Fuel, Scale Electric, Fuel Warbirds, Warbirds, Giant scale could be eliminated.

Mind you this would entail a complete restructuring of the site to change everything that has become bloated over the course of its evolution.
Guy Fawcett is offline Find More Posts by Guy Fawcett
Old Dec 22, 2013, 06:22 PM
Evansville Dress Reg., Indiana, United States
Joined Jun 2004
1,105 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Fawcett View Post
I agree an all encompassing forum dedicated to pre -1919 aeroplanes would be of interest to me.

I also wonder about the whole division of modelling into various methods of propulsion that is a relic of RCGroups.com initial formation from an electric only forum to what it is today. But that is a totally different kettle of fish

wattman

End Quote

Not clear what this means, if your flying a WWI model it is scale, isn't it ?
OH NO , scale is often considered to be a scale size build and everything has to be correctly done , and finished as the eal one .

I have the Flyzone , and Electrifly and Parkzone and Eflite WW1 biplanes , but they are not scale , well maybe stand way off scale , 10 foot distance , or more .

WW1 planes are a great interest of many .
wattman is offline Find More Posts by wattman