HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 25, 2014, 05:37 PM
Where did that tree come from
United States, SC, Lancaster
Joined Nov 2010
1,504 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suko View Post
I've heard that if you install a toggle switch on throttle hold that you need to go back through all your models and set sum throttle sub trim to prevent the motors from spinning at 0 stick throttle. Is this true?
Yes it's true . On most of mine I had to run some sub trim to stop the motor from spinning. Just remember if you do the mod , to remove the prop until you have it dial in .
kid at 55 is offline Find More Posts by kid at 55
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 27, 2014, 08:49 AM
WJH
United States, FL, Spring Hill
Joined Aug 2005
353 Posts
Why not just install a kill switch on the model inline with the battery? Or you can treat your model the same way you treat powered shop tools such as a table saw!
WJH is offline Find More Posts by WJH
Old Oct 05, 2014, 11:29 AM
Joined Aug 2014
138 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcmaverick View Post
I know has been asked many times. But I still cannot figure out how to do this. Today I cut my wrists when I accidentally knocked the throttle while picking up the plane. Yes I had a rubber band holding it in place but it broke on the field. Surely this has to be the #1 priority for Tx manufacturers..

Another person looking for a solution to a non problem. Try paying attention when you are about to fly.
As the person above observed, I hope you don't use power tools.
JWDen is offline Find More Posts by JWDen
Old Oct 05, 2014, 11:31 AM
Joined Aug 2014
138 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fig Newton View Post
Which is exactly why the posts I agreed with and then commented on state that you should treat the electric engines as "on" when the battery is connected. I think we are splitting hairs here though. I get your point in asking for an extra safety measure when dealing with electric motors. But it still boils down to the individual taking the appropriate safety measures when working with either a running glow motor or a powered up ESC and electric motor. I was testing some radio changes to my Corsair the other day. Instead of having to worry about a prop catching me off guard I just removed it. I put it back on when I was done making radio adjustments. You can put in all the switches you want but at the end of the day the only way to truly guarantee you won't lose a finger in the prop is to keep it out of the area the prop is in. Don't get me wrong, I am all for safety features, but when you let them lull you into being complacent you are asking for an accident.
Thank you for trying to inject a little common sense into this discussion.
JWDen is offline Find More Posts by JWDen
Old Oct 07, 2014, 02:27 PM
United States, WA, Woodinville
Joined May 2014
1,082 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutski View Post
If you bind the Dx6i to your plane, then turn it off while leaving the airplane battery connected, it binds again almost instantly when you turn it back on. No need for a throttle hold for airplanes - just shut off the transmitter, do what you want to the plane and turn it back on. Easy, safe, doesn't require soldering.

I too have tweaked the throttle with the neck strap. For that reason, I now turn the transmitter off as soon as the plane lands. No problem then to carry the transmitter when I retrieve the plane. I usually fly till the battery needs changing, but if I want to launch again, I just switch the transmitter on and it binds in a flash.

Throttle hold makes more sense with helis - a quick disconnect for the rotor when you know it's about to crash. With planes, there is more time to recover, and if they crash, the spinning propeller doesn't do the same damage as a helicopter rotor.
The problem with that is the servos won't hold position. The situations where I've had to worry about unintended motor starting have been when I'm dialing in the control throws and trim. In that case I need the servos to hold in their neutral position as well as set positions of the flaps and such.
James_S is offline Find More Posts by James_S
Old Oct 07, 2014, 02:39 PM
Commerce Township, MI
Joined Aug 2001
4,520 Posts
That means that you are 'doing it on the bench', not at the field.

Remove prop.
Ken Myers is offline Find More Posts by Ken Myers
Old Oct 07, 2014, 03:34 PM
Hobby King Hater
USA
Joined Mar 2005
4,593 Posts
If you are working on the bench, you can unplug the ESC and plug in a rec pack.
Kimber is offline Find More Posts by Kimber