HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 17, 2012, 11:57 PM
Joined Jul 2012
18 Posts
Discussion
Removable Verticle Stabilizer

Does anyone have a good method for making a removable verticle sabilizer on kit builds (balsa) so transportation in an RV is easier than the bulky configuration of all tail feathers in place? The kit I'm building (an EVA Bipe) doesn't allow for the horizontal stabilizer to be removable as I have done on other planes..

Any ideas????????
Biggz is offline Find More Posts by Biggz
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 18, 2012, 06:02 AM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
13,767 Posts
You could use piano wire into tubes for removable surfaces, basically the same as removable plug in wings, but at a smaller scale.

The limitation for removable horizontal and vertical stabs is having to disconnect any control, elevator, rudder, etc, each time.

I have built a few models with removable surfaces simply to aid transporting. You just need to decide how to arrange the control links for easy removal if required. I have also had a few models with all-flying horizontal stabs to eliminate the control link problem.

A vertical stab would be the same.
eflightray is offline Find More Posts by eflightray
Old Nov 18, 2012, 10:07 AM
United States, KY, Taylorsville
Joined Mar 2010
1,756 Posts
Go to 'scale sailplanes' forum in the '1/6 scale 1932 BS2 Balestruccio' thread p2, entry #17. Shows how to make removable stab-elevator. Otherwise mount rudder on brass tubes and have pull-pull with clevis to detach from horn for rudder removal. You can use same method to secure rudder as done on stab of Balestruccio.
ARUP is offline Find More Posts by ARUP
Old Nov 18, 2012, 10:41 PM
B for Bruce
The 'Wack, BC, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
11,613 Posts
Typically a lot of the inspiration for the optimum method comes from looking at the plans and structural details. Otherwise it's too easy to suggest options which simply are not easy to execute.
BMatthews is online now Find More Posts by BMatthews
Old Nov 19, 2012, 02:34 AM
Reduce the drama...
USA, OR, Damascus
Joined Apr 2004
4,044 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARUP View Post
Go to 'scale sailplanes' forum in the '1/6 scale 1932 BS2 Balestruccio' thread p2, entry #17. Shows how to make removable stab-elevator. Otherwise mount rudder on brass tubes and have pull-pull with clevis to detach from horn for rudder removal. You can use same method to secure rudder as done on stab of Balestruccio.
Nice buildlog! Lots of interesting innovations.
Especially the tail fixings
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1602512
rick.benjamin is offline Find More Posts by rick.benjamin
Old Nov 21, 2012, 03:08 PM
United States, MD, Elkton
Joined Oct 2011
9,154 Posts
+1-mr. Matthew's statement,although disengaging a rudder can hardly be any worse than the wings ! Two rods in the rudder,two recievers in the fuse,plug in a servo lead-Bazinga !

I had a 12' Connie that released the entire empennage.,which had a receiver,switch, battery and servos all contained inside.Four plywood 'tongues' inserted into sockets in the fuse.-4 nylon bolts,and turn on the switch=ready to fly. Ha! I could range check it,off the airplane !
epoxyearl is offline Find More Posts by epoxyearl
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Wheeling and dealing..
Old Nov 21, 2012, 11:38 PM
Be an organ donor
Little Rock, AR. U.S.A via U.K
Joined May 2004
1,160 Posts
Go to the Sailplane threads and look for, "planepainter." He built a RIser 100 and make a bloody good job of removable tail feathers.
kwmtrubrit is offline Find More Posts by kwmtrubrit
Old Nov 23, 2012, 08:56 AM
United States, KY, Taylorsville
Joined Mar 2010
1,756 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMatthews View Post
Typically a lot of the inspiration for the optimum method comes from looking at the plans and structural details. Otherwise it's too easy to suggest options which simply are not easy to execute.
I agree but I know what this airplane looks like and would never recommend a method if it didn't suit the airframe in question.
ARUP is offline Find More Posts by ARUP