HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 08, 2011, 03:44 PM
Joined Jul 2010
133 Posts
Foam and Tape,

Could you please elaborate on your tilt mechanism's design?
rtbchris is offline Find More Posts by rtbchris
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 17, 2011, 11:32 AM
Joined Aug 2009
97 Posts
Hi everybody!

I wanted to get subscribed and also talk about my idea.

I am planning on a tilt rotor project but it wont be a folding wing, rather than a folding nacelle, like the osprey (the idea is after small tests to get as close to the osprey look as possible)

I plan on having 2 digital servos on each nacelle controlling their movement. I will not have any flybar but a direct attachment of the prop to the motor like an airplane.

In Heli mode,
Pitch will be achieved by minor forward movement of the nacelles,
Yaw will be achieved by opposite directional movement of the nacelles,
Roll will be achieved by speed differential between motors,

I am aware that the Roll control will create "Yaw" torque, for which I plan on putting two separate gyros for each nacelles, (since they are 2 different channels) which will counter this with necessary yaw control. I hope to find a way to minimize the gyro effect (or even totally shut it off) when the I am in airplane mode.

Airplane mode controls are as usual.

Its a little complicated. I could get the controls set up on my Turnigy 9x. (With a better transmitter should be way more convenient.) I also know it will probably be heavier so I am still trying to figure out if 2s is good enough for it or should I be going 3s.

What do you guys think about it? How many watts do you think is enough for a project like this?

Thanks a lot! Keep up the great work!!

-I just realized it has been a few months since the last post, I hope i am not too late.-
ttuzun is offline Find More Posts by ttuzun
Old Nov 17, 2011, 01:23 PM
Joined Oct 2004
2,908 Posts
The weak point in this setup is the pitch axis. It will only work if there is a large vertical distance between the nacelle tilt point and the CG, and even then it will react to your inputs with a noticeable delay. That's why the full size one uses fore/aft cyclic to control pitch.
Brandano is offline Find More Posts by Brandano
Old Nov 17, 2011, 10:43 PM
Joined Aug 2009
97 Posts
Makes sense.

How do you guys handle the cyclic?
I am not a big heli expert (more of a plane guy) so i dont know much detail about where to find parts etc. (Cheap swashplates etc)

Also, wouldn't the flybar be affected by the gravity when it is in airplane mode since it is vertical?
Old Nov 18, 2011, 12:24 AM
Retardedly intelligent
beavercreek,ohio
Joined Jan 2007
3,857 Posts
yes, the flybar does have some negative effects on forward flight. Its designed to fight any shift in its position so yawing, pitching, and rolling are all really toned down by the flybars constant movement.
foam and tape is online now Find More Posts by foam and tape
Old Nov 18, 2011, 12:25 AM
Retardedly intelligent
beavercreek,ohio
Joined Jan 2007
3,857 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtbchris View Post
Foam and Tape,

Could you please elaborate on your tilt mechanism's design?
its pretty much setup like a servo thats hooked up to a control surface, it needs some work though as its a bit too sloppy.
foam and tape is online now Find More Posts by foam and tape
Old Nov 18, 2011, 01:19 AM
Joined Aug 2009
97 Posts
I guess I ll go on, try without any flybar and a bunch of gyros. (man.. i ll need many) (Any suggestions? For starters, I was thinking about using http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ock_Gyro_.html)

See how it goes.

Brandano I ll keep in mind what you said and try to figure out a way to go around it. Luckily unlike the real one, mine doesnt have to military grade

What do you guys suggest regarding average power/weight ratio?
Old Nov 18, 2011, 06:09 AM
Sussex, UK
Crawley, West Sussex, UK
Joined Jun 2004
7,376 Posts
Quote:
How do you guys handle the cyclic?
That all depends if you want to build a machine with cyclic control - effectively two tailless helicopters with a plane slung between them, or stick with simple motor-and-prop nacelles.

A mechanically simpler solution is a third, smaller motor in the tail that takes some of the weight when hovering. This can control pitch and could be tilted to the sides for yaw control.
RobinBennett is offline Find More Posts by RobinBennett
Old Feb 03, 2013, 11:46 PM
NoT iNtElLiGeNt
India, Andhra Pradesh, Guntur
Joined Jan 2011
126 Posts
@ peter.

can you tell the length, width and height of the fuselage
jyothibasu1k is offline Find More Posts by jyothibasu1k
Old Oct 06, 2014, 04:31 PM
Multiwii noob
United States, ID, Idaho Falls
Joined Jul 2012
267 Posts
Peter, is there any way this can be accomplished with a KK2 board, standard fixed props, and a few servos? I'm thinking, Elevons for forward/back and yaw, differential thrust for left/right. In forward flight (airplane mode), standard control Elevator, Ailerons, Rudder/differential thrust.

I'm new to this, but want to convert the FT Cruiser to a VTOL. Really only want to use 2 motors, and would rather have traditional control surfaces. It works in my head, but I have no practical experience to base it off of (I fly quads, and planes, but never a VTOL).
pacoswava is online now Find More Posts by pacoswava