HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 20, 2010, 09:43 PM
Fly Fly Fly Crash
Montrose Co
Joined Aug 2005
3,093 Posts
Question
Nimh

I broke the plug on the battery to one of my sailplanes. I think the the 2 wires came in contact with each other for about 2 hours. Now the battery is dead and wont charge. Does touching the wires together on a NIMH battery kill it? Thats all I can figure why my battery wont charge.
Dragon 2 is online now Find More Posts by Dragon 2
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 20, 2010, 11:01 PM
Reduce the drama...
USA, OR, Damascus
Joined Apr 2004
4,044 Posts
A dead short for 2 hours probably means dead battery.

A charged battery with a short across + and - discharges rapidly making enough heat to burst a cell or cause a fire.
It's possible a connection opened somewhere in the path such as a battery strap.
rick.benjamin is offline Find More Posts by rick.benjamin
Old Jun 20, 2010, 11:59 PM
Fly Fly Fly Crash
Montrose Co
Joined Aug 2005
3,093 Posts
Thats what I kinda figured. Thanks for the info.
Dragon 2 is online now Find More Posts by Dragon 2
Old Jun 22, 2010, 01:32 AM
Bombs away! Err...landing
Upper Hutt, New Zealand
Joined Apr 2006
2,358 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon 2 View Post
I broke the plug on the battery to one of my sailplanes. I think the the 2 wires came in contact with each other for about 2 hours. Now the battery is dead and wont charge. Does touching the wires together on a NIMH battery kill it? Thats all I can figure why my battery wont charge.
Probably dead battery, could be you just melted a solder joint or a wire somewhere. You have nothing to lose pulling the shrink wrap off the battery and checking it.
Ira NZ is offline Find More Posts by Ira NZ