HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 14, 2011, 02:10 PM
Oh no not another one
Mansfield, Nottinghamshire UK
Joined Jan 2011
275 Posts
New batteries anyone?

I have some S107's which I am repairing and needed some replacement batteries. I ordered these off eBay and they have arrived today - but are marked 180mAh!

I have just fitted one into the standard battery bay and it just fits under the canopy. Charged it up and flew it and it appears to be a really good battery. Bags of power and the first flight was getting on for 5 minutes in 3 bursts. It had discharged to 3.93 volts which is fine for storage.

It also has the overcharge protection board fitted as standard. I reckon that UKP 5.98 for 5 batteries delivered is a good deal even if you have to wait a couple of weeks.
eyemdee is offline Find More Posts by eyemdee
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 14, 2011, 02:21 PM
Happy Newbie
Canada, BC, Burnaby
Joined Oct 2011
86 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryoon View Post
Thanks so much for this Fantastic Mod Daryoon!
Just did it to both my S107's today, 20 minutes or so all in, and now easy access to the interior!

I did notice a problem with my chopper unrelated to the mod however. Does anyone know where to get replacement screws for the head unit of the top blade? There are 2 screws in the side between the flybar and the top set of blades, and in one of my choppers I have only one. The chopper seems to list to one side, and I'm wondering if this may be the problem.

Thanks!
Scurvy is offline Find More Posts by Scurvy
Old Dec 14, 2011, 02:27 PM
United States, WI, Merrill
Joined Jun 2011
1,432 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyemdee View Post
I have some S107's which I am repairing and needed some replacement batteries. I ordered these off eBay and they have arrived today - but are marked 180mAh!

I have just fitted one into the standard battery bay and it just fits under the canopy. Charged it up and flew it and it appears to be a really good battery. Bags of power and the first flight was getting on for 5 minutes in 3 bursts. It had discharged to 3.93 volts which is fine for storage.

It also has the overcharge protection board fitted as standard. I reckon that UKP 5.98 for 5 batteries delivered is a good deal even if you have to wait a couple of weeks.
The 180 mAH sounds fine if they aren't much heavier than the originals. The extra zip you mention sounds like weight may not be much of a problem. If you can though, I recommend weighing the old and new to see if you have added or saved a few grams. Additional weight will heat the motors faster and shorten their life.

More important though with those fresh "zippy" batteries is your flight times and the heating/overheating of your main coaxial motors. If you try to push that 5 minute mark too much your next repair will be new motors.

Conventional wisdom around here is 4 to 5 minute flights with cooling rests after flying, before charging and after charging near 10 minutes.

Have fun and if the wait between flights gets to be too much, buy a few more choppers to alternate flights.

John in Merrill
jgestner is offline Find More Posts by jgestner
Old Dec 14, 2011, 04:05 PM
For us He died, in me He lives
United States, MI, Saint Clair Shores
Joined Dec 2008
5,122 Posts
Man, I just love the mods everyone here has come up with for this little gem. Got mine coming. Can't wait for Christmas morning!
Jimmy JFlyer is online now Find More Posts by Jimmy JFlyer
Old Dec 14, 2011, 05:12 PM
Oh no not another one
Mansfield, Nottinghamshire UK
Joined Jan 2011
275 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgestner View Post
If you can though, I recommend weighing the old and new to see if you have added or saved a few grams.
I don't have a 150mAh battery to hand without unsoldering one from another S107, but the new 180mAh batteries weigh in at 5.6 grams. I have some 130mAh batteries roughly the same size and they weigh 4.4 grams so I don't think the 150mAh standard battery will be far from the 180.
eyemdee is offline Find More Posts by eyemdee
Old Dec 14, 2011, 05:26 PM
Ascended Master
Palmdale, CA
Joined Oct 2000
13,499 Posts
There's a video of someone attaching a keychain video camera to an S107, which handles the extra weight nicely.
Sparky Paul is offline Find More Posts by Sparky Paul
Old Dec 15, 2011, 04:11 AM
USAF Retired - 1968-1988
United States, IL, Mascoutah
Joined Dec 2010
3,367 Posts
Flying my real old Yellow Syma S107g.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVxSbVBVqaQ
Jake8131 is online now Find More Posts by Jake8131
Old Dec 15, 2011, 06:28 AM
Joined Dec 2011
1 Posts
Hi, I'm new

Just ordered this for a Christmas present: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Syma-S107-Co...h_b_cs_title_3

however imediately after, just saw the new 'G' version for pretty much the same price:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Syma-S107G-2...h_b_cs_title_2

Is the G version significantly better? Is it worth me faffing around with returns and re-ordering the newer version?
QQ777 is offline Find More Posts by QQ777
Old Dec 15, 2011, 06:53 AM
USAF Retired - 1968-1988
United States, IL, Mascoutah
Joined Dec 2010
3,367 Posts
You ordered the G version....the G means GYRO.
Jake8131 is online now Find More Posts by Jake8131
Old Dec 15, 2011, 07:02 AM
China, Guangdong
Joined Oct 2011
904 Posts
It's very good for the beginners.
Aaron qin is online now Find More Posts by Aaron qin
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 15, 2011, 07:03 AM
China, Guangdong
Joined Oct 2011
904 Posts
only 19.53,Free Shipping!Link is here,http://www.banggood.com/Wholesale-Sy....html. It's very good for the beginners.Syma S026G is also a good choice for beginners ,too easy to control!I enjoy it very much.I like some big flyers too,I played DH 9053 today,feels goog.
Aaron qin is online now Find More Posts by Aaron qin
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 15, 2011, 12:44 PM
Daddy.
United States, OR, White City
Joined Dec 2011
1 Posts
Been following this thread for quite some time. Finally decided it was time to register. This thread has been really helpful in my s107 career, thanks to all for the great input!

I'm on my second s107 right now. First one turned out to be a really well disguised clone. The box said Syma, basically everything else matched up. Except the LED color on the board. Once it was next to a real s107 there were a few other differences. Such as the USB cable, which led to finding out the polarity was different, which fried a real USB charging cable and a USB port (as well as my fingerprint scanner, oddly enough). Regardless, it flew nice. I had a Picooz tail rotor on it and some stuff removed, the basics. But when I noticed how quick the real s107 was to initiate moving forwards and backwards I got curious as my heli was slow to initiate but faster once it got pitched. Long story short I went to pull the picooz off and pulled the motor out splitting the wires in the middle of the tail boom. Spliced back together it still didn't work so I went 50/50 with a buddy on a new heli and we used the old clone for parts.

My questions;
Being that the polarity was different. Does that mean the battery itself is backwards from a real s107 or would we be okay to use the battery out of the clone for a second battery?

Also with my new real s107 I have done the following;
-Removed front LED
-Removed taped in weight from canopy
-Removed everything from the tail boom
-Slid landing skids back as far as possible to help with COG

That's about all I've done, and from time to time I get this weird chatter while it's in flight. Especially when turning in a stable hover, it almost chatters its way around. I also notice it on when gaining altitude and pitching forward from time to time. Seems to be random. So far I have tried tightening the tail boom and everything around it with no luck. Any ideas?

Also, the clone had a different flybar than the real ones. Instead of being solid round at the ends, where the weights are, it is oval shaped around the weights and has two screws holding the weight in on each side. Is this flybar just a different style or something specific to the clones? Any benefit to running it on the real s107 with or without the weights in it?

Sorry for the long first post, been a long time in the works after lingering for so long.
StephenGuy is offline Find More Posts by StephenGuy
Old Dec 15, 2011, 02:55 PM
Against Helicopter Cruelty
Joined Aug 2011
6,743 Posts
Stephen, Welcome to RCG. Sorry to hear about the reversed polarity incidents. That's why it is so important to this community to know the difference between real S107 and clones. The circuitry on the clones might have reversed polarity, but that doesn't mean that anything about the battery itself is reversed. If and when you cut out the battery and use it as a spare, you could always wire it up to the polarity you desire.

There is nothing fake about the flybar you described. In fact, the flybar with the removable weights are more original, and it was copied onto the clones. The newer Syma has the cost-reduction flybar with fixed weights. With the removable weights, you could take the weights out and experiment the difference. You will find that your helicopter is less stable, pendulums a lot, but it flies very fast and corners very sharp. It's a fun experiment. Try it.
Heli Pad is offline Find More Posts by Heli Pad
Old Dec 15, 2011, 05:15 PM
Ascended Master
Palmdale, CA
Joined Oct 2000
13,499 Posts
The USB connectors for my helis have the "trident" image on the opposite side of the connector than all the other USB connectors I have.
But they only go into the computer one way...
With the white block down...
Sparky Paul is offline Find More Posts by Sparky Paul
Old Dec 15, 2011, 07:33 PM
Epilepsy Awareness
United States, MA, Malden
Joined Mar 2008
11,824 Posts
Stephen, nobody really trusts these charge cables going into our PC's. We have all heard the stories of the cable/plug melt down and going back into the PC to do more damage. That's why many of us (if not all) has either the Syma A/C charger:
http://www.amazon.com/110v-Charger-S...ref=pd_sim_t_1

OR, the A/C USB charger:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=REG&A=details

I cannot comment on the Syma A/C charger but, I have A/C USB charger (similar to the one in the link) and it works good. Charges my S107; 5 minute fly times; in about 30/40 minutes.

You will never worry about your PC again

Mike.
Chap1012 is offline Find More Posts by Chap1012