Old Jul 01, 2015, 02:02 PM
Find More Posts by markktm
only easy day was yesterday
USA, CA, Livermore
Joined Apr 2006
524 Posts
Discussion
Anemometer for cell phone

I haven't been on for a while so if you have seen this please disregard.
I saw this at the refrigeration wholesaler the other day.

This anemometer works by plugging into your cell's ear phone jack.
Free software
About 40 dollars.

Mark
markktm is offline Find More Posts by markktm
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 01, 2015, 04:41 PM
Find More Posts by tomleach
United States, OR, Corvallis
Joined Mar 2007
319 Posts
It looks like the exact same hardware, but the app appears to be geared for airflow guys. Check out http://www.alofthobbies.com/weatherflow.html for the wind centric version. I wonder if the free software for either the airflow or wind apps are interchangable.
I have the wind meter, purchased from Aloft. It works great with my iPhone. I was concerned because I have a Lifeproof case on my phone which means that the access to the headphone jack is restricted and I figured I'd have to make an adapter but the neck of the wind meter fits through the Lifeproof case with no problems.
Tom
tomleach is offline Find More Posts by tomleach
Old Jul 01, 2015, 05:07 PM
Joined Mar 2007
319 Posts
I downloaded the airflow app and it works with my WeatherFlow meter from Aloft. Now I can do CFM measurements as well as MpH/KpH measurements!
Neat. Thanks!
Tom
Old Jul 01, 2015, 11:17 PM
Find More Posts by screamin' eagle
Confirmed Chronic
Pacific Palisades, CA
Joined Jul 2004
9,459 Posts
Did you guys try getting readings in wind over 40 mph? Mine had issues there.
screamin' eagle is offline Find More Posts by screamin' eagle
Old Jul 02, 2015, 03:38 AM
Find More Posts by awmeade
Registered Slopeaphile
S-u-A, UK.
Joined Jan 2003
930 Posts
I use a Vaavud Sleipnir : http://vaavud.com/product/vaavud-sleipnir/

In fact I bought two as I got in early on the Kickstarter. Gives direction as well as strength, and good up to 102mph on the ridge that I recorded earlier in the year on the lip of the Great Orme here in the UK.
awmeade is online now Find More Posts by awmeade
Old Jul 02, 2015, 02:14 PM
Joined Mar 2007
319 Posts
Dom, what issues did you have above 40? I just checked my log and I've had maxes of 35.6 and 40.5 with sustained 30sec averages of 19.2 and 22.2. Most of the time the gusts have been in the mid 20s low 30s. I've checked it against someone else's Kestral a few times and they were pretty close, but I don't think I've ever tried it in high winds. Above about 30 and I just know I need to load out all my ballast
Tom
Old Jul 02, 2015, 08:57 PM
Find More Posts by screamin' eagle
Confirmed Chronic
Pacific Palisades, CA
Joined Jul 2004
9,459 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomleach View Post
Dom, what issues did you have above 40? I just checked my log and I've had maxes of 35.6 and 40.5 with sustained 30sec averages of 19.2 and 22.2. Most of the time the gusts have been in the mid 20s low 30s. I've checked it against someone else's Kestral a few times and they were pretty close, but I don't think I've ever tried it in high winds. Above about 30 and I just know I need to load out all my ballast
Tom
Past 40 mph and definitely past 45 I would simply get no reading, or obviously wrong readings like 5mph or so. I was checking it against a mobile weather station so I could tell where the disconnect was.

I have a heavy DS ship I only fly when it's blowing 40+, so it wasn't just academic.
screamin' eagle is offline Find More Posts by screamin' eagle