New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by GWS CHEN, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Aug 24, 2014, 03:26 PM
Find More Posts by victapilot
Just thumbing through...
United States, SC, Simpsonville
Joined Feb 2009
4,633 Posts
I agree with Semperfi. EPO is the future. Love those Corsairs, sound awesome.

I have a couple of EPO Formosas. One runs 350w on 4s, the other a more conservative 3s. Great for pattern aerobatics.

I also thought about making one into a big fun fighter, I have 3 of those.
victapilot is online now Find More Posts by victapilot
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 24, 2014, 03:47 PM
Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
18,865 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 61ahs View Post
Keep the EPS planes. Some of us prefer to fly the airplane rather than the prop. Low and slow. You can "fly" a pine board with enough horsepower, but it's not really flying in my opinion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by victapilot View Post
I agree with Semperfi. EPO is the future. Love those Corsairs, sound awesome.

I have a couple of EPO Formosas. One runs 350w on 4s, the other a more conservative 3s. Great for pattern aerobatics.

I also thought about making one into a big fun fighter, I have 3 of those.
I'm amazed this thread is getting posts at this late date, when GWS has virtually disappeared from the US market... or any market for that matter.

I'm also an EPS fan... "light flies right", for those who like parkflyer performance and flying venues. But, it matters not, GWS long ago quit responding to user requests, so I don't expect anything to change under the current company owner ship. R.I.P. GWS!
Tom Frank is offline Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Old Aug 24, 2014, 10:26 PM
Find More Posts by semperfi1970
Joined Feb 2012
1,453 Posts
Victapilot, I just got done building a Formosa and decided to go the overpowered route. I am less than pleased with its performance as a bank and yank speedster. The tail moment is all wrong for speed and power. The Formosa is best served light as possible with a neutral CG. I have a lot of fun with the Corsairs and big motors. Unlike most speed planes of this size using small props like 6x6 or 7x7 I chose to go with all out torque using a 9x9 prop. There isn't much spooling up needed when your setup is producing 160 ounces of thrust The great thing about the Corsair is that it slows as fast as it accelerates with its big open mouth cowling and chunky fuse. It enables me to come into a turn chopping the throttle (slamming on the air brakes) and coming out of the turn and going WOT it responds with a little tail waggle and slingshots forward. No need to stay WOT through a turn where most over shoot and loose ground. Here is a maiden video of the Formosa that I just finished that is less than fun to fly due to weight.
GWS Formosa (4 min 42 sec)

Tom Frank, I agree with you on light flies better. I have many EPS GWS planes, well I have them all I do enjoy flying slow and low with most all of them. The Corsair is just cut from a different block of foam, it was born for speed and power. Here is a video of one of my all time favorite EPS planes, the mighty GWS AT-6.
GWS AT-6 school yard (3 min 46 sec)
semperfi1970 is offline Find More Posts by semperfi1970
Old Aug 25, 2014, 06:20 AM
Find More Posts by victapilot
Just thumbing through...
United States, SC, Simpsonville
Joined Feb 2009
4,633 Posts
I started in this hobby with stick and tissue planes, that's light! But there's got to be a reason (or three), you don't see many at the field, while just about every day there are a few t-28's.

My Formosas fly great, but control surfaces are big for a speedster. Mine are the vI smaller version, but dual aileron servos, and tail servos in back, carbon pushrods, 1/2A horns.

victapilot is online now Find More Posts by victapilot
Last edited by victapilot; Aug 25, 2014 at 06:29 AM.
Old Sep 04, 2014, 06:18 AM
Find More Posts by wojethebest
IT"S A PLANE NOT DOGFOOD
Australia, VIC, Hampton East
Joined Feb 2013
225 Posts
I think you need to use hobbyking as a supplier becuase the reason they keep it cheap to get to their warehouses is becuase they ship huge amounts at a time and so it would be cheaper than individually sending them from factory to the customer
wojethebest is offline Find More Posts by wojethebest
Old Apr 21, 2015, 08:03 AM
Find More Posts by rcdude07
Joined Jul 2010
179 Posts
Reviving an old thread here:

After building the P-38 (work for GWS US website and social media pages)
and C-47 kits in the last 12 months, my thoughts are as follows:
1. Update the kits for lithium chemistry power and brushless power setups
2. Upgrade spars from fiberglass to carbon fiber
3. Get more distributors
4. Have a demo team/sponsored pilots at big electric events and at electric flight lines at mixed power events (Joe Nall).
5. Event Sponsor with some kits as prizes at the large events.
rcdude07 is offline Find More Posts by rcdude07
Last edited by rcdude07; Apr 21, 2015 at 11:56 AM.
Old May 07, 2015, 08:58 AM
Find More Posts by rcdude07
Joined Jul 2010
179 Posts
Really the biggest problem people have with the GWS kits today is the lack of updates for brushless and lipo technologies. Per discussions with my stock GWS (stock GWS brushless motors) - not fast enough and I don't want to deal with my own power system, if they came out with a better power system I'd be interested.
rcdude07 is offline Find More Posts by rcdude07
Old Jul 16, 2015, 05:56 AM
Find More Posts by gordynic
scotland
Joined Jul 2003
264 Posts
recently I started importing GWS kits here, lots of interest in them and the first batch sold really well, I was only left with a couple of A10s and an F15, so now a second order has arrived (another 37 kits) and already, after one day we have sold 5 with another 5 pre ordered. This shows there is a market for these kits. I have been asked on many occasions if the formosas are available, recently though, as our name gets about , I have been asked about the older kits . "Are there any Beavers?" .. "I taught myself to fly with a Beaver!" etc etc
maybe , if you still have some of the older paterns , a small run of these kits would sell pretty well, I would however, suggest thats the power train is updated, like rcdude07 said, and maybe an injection moulded wing for the beavers and the stick models , The depron really isn't up to the job... maybe even remove the brushed motor s from the kits and replace with a brushless direct drive, Emax type motor, which actually would cost probably about the same as the motor / gearbox combination, fact of the matter is , very few people want to buy a kit and then chase after a motor and ESC etc etc, this isn't a problem for the more experienced modellers who will probably have a spare motor or two laying about, but maybe it puts newcomers to the hobby off a bit.... all of my customers agree however, that the kits, although outdated are still really good value for money and are almost always guaranteed to fly well
gordynic is online now Find More Posts by gordynic
Last edited by gordynic; Jul 17, 2015 at 10:46 AM.
Old Jul 17, 2015, 03:14 AM
Find More Posts by GWS CHEN
Taipei, Taiwan
Joined Oct 2005
4,755 Posts
Hi Gordon & Rcdude07,

Thank you for your nice comments and good suggestions, I've forwarded your words to my boss, and suggested producing new batches of Formosa, Estarter, Tiger Moth and Beaver. He certainly has his own plans on the new batches, probably the Formosa can be the first one.
Yes, I did also suggest modifying the moulds for the current Lipoly packs. While our black motor mount can fit both 28mm outrunners and the wood stick of the kits, so putting brushless motors on them might not be problem any more. But users who intend to go brushless on Beaver and other GWS Pico birds will have to add some more reinforcements to those depron wings, especially to the wing joints on its central wing chord.

We did work out a prototyped Beaver II that came with solid main wing and tail feathers about 5 years ago. But sorry to say that this project might have been suspended.

Chen
GWS CHEN is online now Find More Posts by GWS CHEN
Old Jul 17, 2015, 05:19 AM
Find More Posts by Hangar Rat
UK - in the middle somewhere
Joined May 2002
491 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWS CHEN View Post
Hi Gordon & Rcdude07,

Thank you for your nice comments and good suggestions, I've forwarded your words to my boss, and suggested producing new batches of Formosa, Estarter, Tiger Moth and Beaver. He certainly has his own plans on the new batches, probably the Formosa can be the first one.
Yes, I did also suggest modifying the moulds for the current Lipoly packs. While our black motor mount can fit both 28mm outrunners and the wood stick of the kits, so putting brushless motors on them might not be problem any more. But users who intend to go brushless on Beaver and other GWS Pico birds will have to add some more reinforcements to those depron wings, especially to the wing joints on its central wing chord.

We did work out a prototyped Beaver II that came with solid main wing and tail feathers about 5 years ago. But sorry to say that this project might have been suspended.

Chen
Hi Chen,
Certainly the E-starter for brushless and LiPo, and the Mk II Beaver - I remember that. If it was with solid wings, an aileron version would be great. Didn't you have floats for the original one?

Keep going with the plans for the rejuvenation of GWS Kits. The company sits exactly in the middle between the RTF / BNF level and the 'Build it from Scratch' people. Enough effort to make the modeller believe they have actually build the model without having to take weeks to complete and fly. There are several modellers at my club that still fly GWS despite their not being available generally
in the UK for several years.
Best wishes to you and Mr Lin
Ratty
Hangar Rat is online now Find More Posts by Hangar Rat
Old Jul 17, 2015, 06:19 AM
Find More Posts by GWS CHEN
Taipei, Taiwan
Joined Oct 2005
4,755 Posts
Hi Ratty,

Thank you for your feed back & comments.
Yes, we used to have GWS Float sets, it's been sold out though, I did suggest producing this float set a year ago, but I'm afraid boss will not give it any priority at this moment. I'll send reminder to him, as flying float plane is fantastic always.

Yes, many experienced modelers would like to spend couple of days "building" their airplanes by adding their own ideas to the ARF kits. This's way more than trying to be different, this is the important part of this hobby. Though most young beginners like to have BNF ones instead, as they think flying R/C is the same as playing games on PC. However, this hobby is quite different from playing cell phones or any PC games.

Thank you again,

All the best,
Chen
GWS CHEN is online now Find More Posts by GWS CHEN
Last edited by GWS CHEN; Jul 19, 2015 at 11:56 PM.