Old Feb 23, 2015, 07:51 PM
Find More Posts by wyldkrd
Yeah, I can fly...
Mesa, Arizona
Joined Jun 2005
2,762 Posts
Build Log
Art Johnson P-38 rescue and glow to electric conversion

I was given a 96" wingspan Art Johnson P-38 that had been built and was ready to fly but on attempting to maiden a number of issues occurred and it was not meant to be It is a somewhat intact airframe that was setup for two .91 four-strokes and Century Jet retracts.

Some damage was incurred between the maiden attempt and the dismantling of it for engines, radio, retracts, etc... As it sits it will need quite a bit of refurbishing to make airworthy.

My goal is to convert it to electric and different retracts, most likely electric.

I will post some pictures soon of the airframe as it stands today and the progress on the refurb and conversion. I am going to be making some changes to reduce weight as it was originally built a little on the heavy side.

I'm primarily a foamy EDF guy but love WWII birds almost as much and I really look forward to getting this in the air. I've been in and out of the hobby for 30 years so hopefully the skills I used in my younger days come back to me as I work more with wood and fiberglass.

Wish me luck!
wyldkrd is offline Find More Posts by wyldkrd
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 24, 2015, 03:10 PM
Find More Posts by ode guy
New Orleans
Joined Jun 2010
73 Posts
Subscribed!
ode guy is offline Find More Posts by ode guy
Old Feb 24, 2015, 04:02 PM
Find More Posts by Pilatuspc12
Onward and upward.
Joined Oct 2006
1,785 Posts
Well, anyone who is a Reno fan is OK in my book. Good luck and persevere. Everything is possible, just take your time and ask lots of questions and you'll be rewarded. Persistence pays dividends.
Pilatuspc12 is offline Find More Posts by Pilatuspc12
Old Feb 26, 2015, 01:40 AM
Find More Posts by Chad Veich
Scale Builder
United States, AZ, Litchfield Park
Joined Jul 2002
2,729 Posts
Love to see the pics wyldkrd? I had one of these many years ago that I got partially built. It had been passed around a lot when I got it and I passed it off without finishing it as well! Makes me wonder if it might be the same bird since your just across town from me.

Good luck with it!
Chad Veich is online now Find More Posts by Chad Veich
Old Feb 26, 2015, 10:09 AM
Yeah, I can fly...
Mesa, Arizona
Joined Jun 2005
2,762 Posts
I will lay it out this weekend for pictures. I got from someone in California but it could be the one you had.
Old Mar 02, 2015, 09:40 PM
Yeah, I can fly...
Mesa, Arizona
Joined Jun 2005
2,762 Posts
So here is what I have to work with. I plan on keeping the 23 Skidoo scheme. The canopy is from a G & L kit but looks about right size once it is cut up and framed.

I have the nose cone but it currently weighs a ton. I am going to try and cut out all the weight that was epoxyed in. If it doesn't work I'll cut a small portion and get a new decal made for it.

I got a set of air retracts for it as well that should work just fine. I will still need struts and tires.

I'll have to work on the flaps as you can see they seem to be missing from the underside of the main section. The booms are in good shape and should not be too much trouble mounting the 91 size BL motors with cage mounts.

I plan to do HS645MG servos all around. Seem to be the best for a plane like this.

So what you do think? For a hand-me-down airframe I think I have at least a sportsman qualifying Scalemaster plane if I do it right. I hope to start work on it soon. I have a few projects ahead of it but as I almost have everything for it I might push it to the front.
Last edited by wyldkrd; Mar 02, 2015 at 11:16 PM.
Old Mar 02, 2015, 10:14 PM
Yeah, I can fly...
Mesa, Arizona
Joined Jun 2005
2,762 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilatuspc12 View Post
Well, anyone who is a Reno fan is OK in my book. Good luck and persevere. Everything is possible, just take your time and ask lots of questions and you'll be rewarded. Persistence pays dividends.
I've been to the Reno air races 3 times and it was amazing. Hope to make it back this year. I got to see Lefty Gardner in the P-38 which I will always cherish.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 12:39 PM
Yeah, I can fly...
Mesa, Arizona
Joined Jun 2005
2,762 Posts
UPDATE: As mentioned previously I have the retracts but now I will need to order the correct struts.

I also acquired the power system. Hobby People packages a G-91 BL motor with ESC and batteries and I have two of these to power it. All I really need now is to order servos and start with the repairs and mods to make it electric. I hope to get started in the next few weeks before it gets too hot.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 11:19 PM
Find More Posts by 70 ragtop
United States, CT, Oxford
Joined Jan 2009
507 Posts
HA, too hot? Still waiting for snow to melt here

Hope you'll post progress shots when you get rolling
70 ragtop is offline Find More Posts by 70 ragtop
Old Mar 25, 2015, 09:11 AM
Yeah, I can fly...
Mesa, Arizona
Joined Jun 2005
2,762 Posts
Will do. My garage is my workshop and in the summer it's a sauna or an oven.