New Products Flash Sale
Thread Tools
Old Dec 26, 2013, 06:48 AM
iNomad59 is offline
Find More Posts by iNomad59
Registered User
Joined Jun 2013
76 Posts
Question
What big heli to get?

Ok i got f45. Now i got 250 dollars to 300 dollars for a heli that is the same size as the f45.what is the best to buy with no circut bord. So i can change the brushless motor,esc,gyro...ect. What is better,geared tail motor or belt or just electric. Also one that can handel wind atleat 10mph. Thanks for any help. Happy holidays. P.s. Defently no circut boards so i can upgrade or change rx for my tx. Thanks again. :-)
iNomad59 is offline Find More Posts by iNomad59
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 26, 2013, 07:45 AM
zadaw is online now
Find More Posts by zadaw
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,373 Posts
You are talking about the 200-300 class here. There are no good choices for beginners if you want to build it yourself. The best would be the Trex 250 DFC or Gaui X2, both of which are designed for extreme 3D and are difficult to build and set up properly. Both are difficult to fly and can get away from you very quickly. The quality of Trex 250 clones are inconsistent although I suppose you can take a look at the CopterX. I would stick to flybarless helis because those with a fly bar in this size class are very difficult to fly.

If you have already got a DX6i, I would look at the Blade 300X instead. You can always swap out the electronics later on although its FBL gyro is as good as any on the market.
zadaw is online now Find More Posts by zadaw
Last edited by zadaw; Dec 26, 2013 at 07:52 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2013, 07:59 AM
Balr14 is offline
Find More Posts by Balr14
Cranky old fart
Balr14's Avatar
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,493 Posts
A second vote for the 300X. If you live in the US, the BNF version can be purchased for under $240 at Ultimate Hobbies. The basic airframe can be had for under $100. There just isn't much made in 300 size any more.
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2013, 08:57 AM
dankar04 is online now
Find More Posts by dankar04
Registered User
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
10,836 Posts
F-45 to a 250/300 size c/p is a big jump. Don't buy a clone kit..big mistake.
300X is fine but hot. WK V450D03 is very stable and about same price as 300X.
I don't know your back rounf but if flying a F-45 sounds kinda new. Nothing wrong with that but get a quad and smaller c/p before going to a big c/p.
Ladybird v1/ Nano QX can handle some wind. Super c/p w Devo 7r good deal. Nano CP-x is now on sale but rtf w/ DX4e is not easy to fly.

Newer flyers get a 4 ch heli and very well might do well with them. Then they think they will try a bigger c/p. Most will have problem as c/p's need to be flown 100% of the time. Over controling is most comon mistake. Crash with bigger heli thats much more complex can be costly. Learning c/p you will crash.
dankar04 is online now Find More Posts by dankar04
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2013, 09:29 AM
iNomad59 is offline
Find More Posts by iNomad59
Registered User
Joined Jun 2013
76 Posts
Zadaw i have 200-300 dollars and was thinking about a trex. How are the razors? I want a copter not to build but with just bat,rx,esc,gyro and about the same size as the f645 f45 size. I have the Dx6i and a DX5e.i have rx for the Dx6i if tx does not work with rx that comes with it. Yes some where around a 200-250 copter. Not for tricks just for filming.fast is ok but if i can get one slower then 3d i guess they are super fast,but something that can handle wind some what. And what is better gear,belt or wire for tail motor. I rather not have gear or belt. Wire is fine for me. Also i rather not want to buy from china and some place with parts right now. Can always customise later. I know it probally wont handle crashes like the f45 but i don't crash very much.. I thank you for your input. :-)
iNomad59 is offline Find More Posts by iNomad59
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2013, 09:57 AM
zadaw is online now
Find More Posts by zadaw
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,373 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNomad59 View Post
Zadaw i have 200-300 dollars and was thinking about a trex. How are the razors? I want a copter not to build but with just bat,rx,esc,gyro and about the same size as the f645 f45 size. I have the Dx6i and a DX5e.i have rx for the Dx6i if tx does not work with rx that comes with it. Yes some where around a 200-250 copter. Not for tricks just for filming.fast is ok but if i can get one slower then 3d i guess they are super fast,but something that can handle wind some what. And what is better gear,belt or wire for tail motor. I rather not have gear or belt. Wire is fine for me. Also i rather not want to buy from china and some place with parts right now. Can always customise later. I know it probally wont handle crashes like the f45 but i don't crash very much.. I thank you for your input. :-)
My experience with building a 250 clone is very negative. The first one I just couldn't get it to work at all. I had better luck with the CopterX 250 but still couldn't get it to work consistently. However, I did not think the problem was with the CopterX but rather with the overall design of the Trex 250 itself. The tail of a 250 is just very difficult to set up properly. My impression is that the Razors are not high quality clones. Tarot used to make a good 250 clone but that is no longer being made.

My Trex 250 was built by my model shop. I found the fly barred version extremely difficult to fly. Sometimes, it would even suddenly fly backwards while coming out of a turn into the wind. This was solved eventually by making a flybarless. It became a completely different heli overnight, being much tamer, predictable and easier to fly. Again, I paid my model shop to set up an Align 3G system for me. Overall, I was able to have 500 flights with it before problems really mount. My model shop refused to fix it for me because it was in such a bad state.

The 250 class is really not that popular at all. For a start, it costs about the same as a 450. It also requires as much air space initially to fly as a 450. I would look at Dankar's advice and consider a smaller heli as a first CP as that will be far more crash resistant.
zadaw is online now Find More Posts by zadaw
Last edited by zadaw; Dec 26, 2013 at 10:06 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2013, 10:15 AM
iNomad59 is offline
Find More Posts by iNomad59
Registered User
Joined Jun 2013
76 Posts
I don't want to build. Only to replace broken,defective or upgrade. I want one right out of the box. But able to fix,change parts esc,gyro...ect thays all thanks
iNomad59 is offline Find More Posts by iNomad59
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2013, 10:24 AM
zadaw is online now
Find More Posts by zadaw
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,373 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNomad59 View Post
I don't want to build. Only to replace broken,defective or upgrade. I want one right out of the box. But able to fix,change parts esc,gyro...ect thays all thanks
I would take a serious look at the 300X then. Although that is designed for 3D, it is nowhere as extreme as the Trex or the Gaui.
zadaw is online now Find More Posts by zadaw
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2013, 10:44 AM
iNomad59 is offline
Find More Posts by iNomad59
Registered User
Joined Jun 2013
76 Posts
Who makes the 300x? Alsowhat do you think about blade. Looks pretty nasty and hot don'think i could handle blade. Thanks got it. :-)
iNomad59 is offline Find More Posts by iNomad59
Last edited by iNomad59; Dec 26, 2013 at 11:17 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2013, 07:54 PM
zadaw is online now
Find More Posts by zadaw
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,373 Posts
The 300X is made by Blade helis which is owned by Horizon Hobbies. It will bind to your DX6i directly. Its combined receiver / FBL gyro unit is sold for more than $200 on its own and is highly regarded. The larger Blade helicopters from 300 upwards do have a pretty good reputation.

If you live in US, you will get first class service fro Horizon Hobbies. If not, you should check whether spares are readily for the 300X in your country. If not, it may be better to go for the Trex even if you have to pay someone to build it.
zadaw is online now Find More Posts by zadaw
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2013, 10:05 AM
iNomad59 is offline
Find More Posts by iNomad59
Registered User
Joined Jun 2013
76 Posts
Dam200 dollars.the heli is 300. And how big is it. I only want one that is 20 in or a little bigger. What if the gyro went like a year from now can i use a cheaper gyro that would work? Thank you for the help but i have to tell you i don't know if i got 1-2-5 years. Been battling cancer for 12 years. Been flying planes and helis. this will be my last heli and want one i can fix,moves faster and takes on the wind. Just want for video and fun,no tricks. 300 looks nice so does the 250 i think i will wait till maybe feb then see what is new,cheaper...ect. I thank you for your time,all of you. I know alot more about the blade and razor now and a few high end ones which are way out of my league. But please answer me this. What do you find best for tail motor,gear,wire,dam i forgot the other. Also where is the gyro on the 300? All the others are on the middle tail. Thank you and Happy Holidays. :-)
iNomad59 is offline Find More Posts by iNomad59
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2013, 10:31 AM
Balr14 is offline
Find More Posts by Balr14
Cranky old fart
Balr14's Avatar
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,493 Posts
The Blade 300X BNF version is $234 at Ulitmate Hobbies. An airframe is $40 on EBay, giving a nice supply of parts, cheap. You are not going to beat those prices even if you build a kit and anything you build will be far less durable and require more maintenance. I've owned several 250 kits and the 300X is a lot less hassle and flies nicer.

The 300x is slightly smaller than the F45.

HK, Bang Good, Good Luck Buy and others have low cost 3 axis gyros that would replace the BeastX unit on the 300X. But I've never heard of a BeastX breaking.

Belt drive is best, IMO. It's more forgiving that shaft drive. Motor driven tails are a pain in the ass on most heli models.

The receiver/gyro is tucked inside the frame. Very hard to damage.

Maybe you should be considering a quad. It would be a better choice for your stated purposes and budget constraints.
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2013, 07:32 AM
fauconnier is offline
Find More Posts by fauconnier
Flying a Falcon or a RC Heli.
fauconnier's Avatar
Canada, QC, Rimouski
Joined Jul 2012
770 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNomad59 View Post
Dam200 dollars.the heli is 300. And how big is it. I only want one that is 20 in or a little bigger. What if the gyro went like a year from now can i use a cheaper gyro that would work? Thank you for the help but i have to tell you i don't know if i got 1-2-5 years. Been battling cancer for 12 years. Been flying planes and helis. this will be my last heli and want one i can fix,moves faster and takes on the wind. Just want for video and fun,no tricks. 300 looks nice so does the 250 i think i will wait till maybe feb then see what is new,cheaper...ect. I thank you for your time,all of you. I know alot more about the blade and razor now and a few high end ones which are way out of my league. But please answer me this. What do you find best for tail motor,gear,wire,dam i forgot the other. Also where is the gyro on the 300? All the others are on the middle tail. Thank you and Happy Holidays. :-)
You must consider this one. Cheap, cheap parts, very well built 250 , friendly to fly, good wind flyer and fast like a flybarless CP .... can't go wrong.

http://www.miracle-mart.com/store/in...oducts_id=8906
fauconnier is offline Find More Posts by fauconnier
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2013, 01:27 PM
Balr14 is offline
Find More Posts by Balr14
Cranky old fart
Balr14's Avatar
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,493 Posts
A 250 - 300 is a horrible platform for a camera. The rpms and headspeed create a lot of high frequency vibration. That's why I suggested a quad.
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2013, 09:12 PM
mcmoyer is offline
Find More Posts by mcmoyer
Master CP
United States, TX, Burleson
Joined Feb 2012
428 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balr14 View Post
A 250 - 300 is a horrible platform for a camera. The rpms and headspeed create a lot of high frequency vibration. That's why I suggested a quad.
is this the reason why I can't seem to get waveless video out of my 808 cam attached to my Master CP no matter how I mount it? I actually get better video when attached to the V120d02s.
mcmoyer is offline Find More Posts by mcmoyer
Reply With Quote


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion tiny servo motor failed:- what dimensions are the ones on your heli? Cant get parts. rcminiman Micro Helis 6 Oct 08, 2013 06:52 AM
Idea Sticky for "this heli vs that heli" and "what heli should I get next" Tom Z Micro Helis 3 Feb 05, 2013 08:54 PM
Question What do I need to get to get into rc helis jaydon134 Fuel Heli Talk 6 Dec 21, 2008 04:25 AM
Big getting out of airplanes, getting into helis sale. reznikvova Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 19 Jul 12, 2003 12:18 PM