SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Yesterday, 02:04 AM
Find More Posts by FrankS
United Kingdom, Glos
Joined Feb 2009
750 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug.wagner View Post
My one attempt to fly my Ka-8 last fall looked just like that last hi-start.
I released, and the glider arced up and over to the right, and nose first into the ground!
I had flashbacks to my single attempt to hi-start my little UMX ASK-21. Exact same, short flight, only in miniature.
The Ka-8 suffered a lot less damage, and will fly again, if the wind ever calms down a bit.

Any tips on how not to smack it, nose first into the ground?
Doug, the trick on the high start is to make sure you use rudder to correct the heading, ailerons are in-effective and can be counter productive, especially in the early stages of the launch. Best to start in a light breeze, say less than 10mph and make sure you launch the plane directly into wind.
FrankS is offline Find More Posts by FrankS
to remove ads between posts
Old Yesterday, 09:53 AM
Find More Posts by westsideav
Osprey
Joined Jan 2013
316 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankS View Post
Doug, the trick on the high start is to make sure you use rudder to correct the heading, ailerons are in-effective and can be counter productive, especially in the early stages of the launch. Best to start in a light breeze, say less than 10mph and make sure you launch the plane directly into wind.
I don't mean to start a big debate, but I have found that with the Ka-8 just rudder will not be enough to make a big correction on electric or HighStart launch when a sudden cross gust comes up.

Small corrections if it is just pushing a bit left or right work great with rudder, but if the glider tilts 90 degrees you have to be quick with ailerons, at least in my experience with the Kate. First use rudder then add ailerons if rudder is not enough.

I think the reason to use rudder for small corrections is not to loose lift and add more drag, the rudder correct w/o causing a lot of drag.

I also think it is best to start with a small amount of rubber like 60' and about 100' of line, stretch about 100' for the first few launches then work up to more tension and longer lengths.

I had a flight yesterday with just that short setup it lasted 20 minutes and could have gone longer, except for the pain in my neck, it was the end of a long day of flying. Even though the short HiStart only got the Kate up 150-200' I managed to stumble into a nice bubble of rising air and circled up to 500' or more. I was just demoing the HiStart to a club member who had never seen one. It turned out to be the days best HiStart flight. He was amazed how well it worked.

I spent a lot of the day flying my Kunai and towing gliders with my CarbonZ Cub. The Kunai is just amazing, very fast and climbs straight up even with a 3S 800Mh 10C cheap lipo. And it thermals really well.
westsideav is offline Find More Posts by westsideav
Old Yesterday, 10:50 AM
Find More Posts by donsinger1
Portland, OR
Joined Nov 2009
659 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideav View Post
......I spent a lot of the day flying my Kunai and towing gliders with my CarbonZ Cub. The Kunai is just amazing, very fast and climbs straight up even with a 3S 800Mh 10C cheap lipo. And it thermals really well.
I really predicate your comment. I have a K8 and DLGs, and was looking for a small electric that thermals well. I have read a lot in the Kunai thread and most discussion is about motors and speed and not how it performs as a sailplane. Thanks.
donsinger1 is online now Find More Posts by donsinger1
Old Yesterday, 11:30 AM
Find More Posts by Mark Wood
characters welcome!
United States, CA, Bear Valley Springs
Joined Feb 2000
26,950 Posts
One of the best things one can do is simply increase the rudder throw as these planes do end fit from it. I just changed the control rod to the inner hole on the rudder horn and maxed out the endpoints for the rudder in the radio.

mw
Mark Wood is offline Find More Posts by Mark Wood
Old Yesterday, 12:01 PM
Find More Posts by westsideav
Osprey
Joined Jan 2013
316 Posts
Here is a Video of one of this Sundays tows I did with the CarbonZ Cub, the glider is a Kate.

Carbon Z Cub towing KA-8 (1 min 38 sec)

Yes I did nose over landing the Cub, I landed in fairly rough grass and I think the towline snagged the grass and suddenly slowed the Cub to a stall 3' in the air. Oops!
westsideav is offline Find More Posts by westsideav
Old Yesterday, 12:24 PM
Find More Posts by Rc247
United States, CA, Long Beach
Joined May 2009
525 Posts
Looks like these are officially discontinued... Too bad😔
Rc247 is online now Find More Posts by Rc247
Old Yesterday, 12:48 PM
Find More Posts by doug.wagner
I can fix that!
United States, ME, Bangor
Joined Jul 2011
1,085 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideav View Post
Unfortunately it is sort of common sense. Don't fly in gusty changeably conditions. And have your glider trimmed well before trying the HiStart. And start with a short HiStart without a ridiculous stretch of the rubber. And you really don't need to throw the glider just a light toss straight wings level is best.
Always launch into the wind. Joe really drilled his Kate because a hard gust hit from the left just at the wrong time. I almost did the same thing on the launch just before his. Only full left aileron and some rudder quickly saved me from this fate.
The good news is the Kate was fine. The bad news is later it had another mishap and now has a stripped gear. But she will be back for more punishment probably this Sunday, and so will mine and a few more in the hangar, I mean the garage.

Doug if you ever come down to the North Conway area contact me an lets fly at our field. If you are AMA current you can fly as my guest. I am the President of the club. I usually fly every Sunday and Monday and any other days I can get away.
Thanks for tips, and the offer! I'll let you know if I'm coming to that neck of the woods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankS View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Wood View Post
One of the best things one can do is simply increase the rudder throw as these planes do end fit from it. I just changed the control rod to the inner hole on the rudder horn and maxed out the endpoints for the rudder in the radio.
I will max out the throws on the rudder, and use that to counter any sudden veer, one way or the other...and add ailerons, if more authority is needed.

Thanks everyone!
doug.wagner is offline Find More Posts by doug.wagner
Old Yesterday, 01:00 PM
Find More Posts by SilentPilot
BMFA 190658
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
5,342 Posts
Just be careful using a bucketload of rudder on the Hi-Start. The extra weight on the wing caused by the pull of the bungee will raise your stall speed. Too much rudder close to the stall and you'll spin!

I like spinning gliders (full size and RC) but there is a time and a place (and a height!!!) for everything...

Tony
SilentPilot is online now Find More Posts by SilentPilot
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Parkzone Ka8 telemetry install
Old Yesterday, 03:19 PM
Find More Posts by FrankS
United Kingdom, Glos
Joined Feb 2009
750 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentPilot View Post
Just be careful using a bucketload of rudder on the Hi-Start. The extra weight on the wing caused by the pull of the bungee will raise your stall speed. Too much rudder close to the stall and you'll spin!

I like spinning gliders (full size and RC) but there is a time and a place (and a height!!!) for everything...

Tony
Rudder is your friend near the stall, it will cause the plane to stall in the direction you want, i.e. left rudder will cause the left wing to stall. Using ailerons would cause the the stall to be in the opposite direction, i.e. near the stall right aileron would cause the left wing to stall.

I wasn't saying use bucketloads of rudder on the histart, just that on launch rudder is your primary means of controlling the heading, so if the plane veers off in one direction on the histart then you need to use rudder to correct it. It was the same with my Phase 6 sloper when I used to put it on the histart for a laugh 30 years ago. and my rudder elevator models used to histart very easy.

But on aerotow, you need to use the ailerons to keep the wings level and let the tug do the steering.
FrankS is offline Find More Posts by FrankS
Old Yesterday, 06:32 PM
BMFA 190658
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
5,342 Posts
Understood
RCG Plus Member
Old Yesterday, 11:55 PM
Find More Posts by camoy
I can't fly
United States, CO, Parker
Joined Dec 2006
2,502 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rc247 View Post
Looks like these are officially discontinued... Too bad😔
Glad i snagged a spare.
camoy is offline Find More Posts by camoy
RCG Plus Member
Old Today, 01:33 AM
BMFA 190658
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
5,342 Posts
Me too!! I got PnP originally, now I've got a BnF as a spare...

Tony
RCG Plus Member