New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 05, 2015, 01:47 PM
Find More Posts by flatlandsailor
United States, KS, Wichita
Joined Feb 2008
386 Posts
I'm not as 'in the loop' as I once was, but I heard awhile back that they have sporadically been producing parts (the prices have increased) but currently no one in the USA is importing anything. RC Yachts UK or the graupner.de website are where you will be most likely to see them first.
flatlandsailor is offline Find More Posts by flatlandsailor
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 05, 2015, 03:14 PM
Find More Posts by SoloProFan
Did you check the FAQ already?
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
15,024 Posts
Good to hear that there seems to be some life in the MM supply again. Still loving my MMs, and took one out today on a recently created artificial lake. I've been there before, but at that time it was pretty hard to get the boat in and out the water, without special boots. But when I checked a while later, a floating platform had been installed next to the fixed walkways, that were too far above the water surface. I could step on the floating platform, and get to about 10 cm from water level this way. The platform isn't big, but luckily I can hold my balance on floating stuff, whether boats etc.

There was a nice breeze, waves were a little choppy, due to being close to the shore and downwind, so the incoming waves were reflecting on the shore, and bouncing back to new waves.

Anyway, had a great time, as the pictures will show.

Edit - and here's a vid too:

Micro Magic still going strong (1 min 44 sec)

It's already almost 3 years ago that I, at first reluctantly, took this boat of some teenager's hands, as he had lost interest in RC sailing. He claimed it had been built by an "expert" and talked a lot about how easy it would be to get it going but I wasn't convinced at first. The boat was not rigged, one sail still needed to be cut, main boom from CF, job boom from alu, some of the deck hatch fasteners were cracked, and there was a part chipped off from the edge of the deck, indicating the boat must have been involved in an accident, either on, or outside of the the water. Had it not been for the low asking price, which made me think "even if I have to buy some extra bits for it, I still will pay much less than getting a fully rigged, ready to sail, boat" I would never have gotten it. And the first months I had it, I wish I would have said no, as there were almost constant leaking issues, patched up one, and then discovered another joint had not been made well. But once that was settled, I was happy to have gotten this boat to accompany my earlier bought one.
SoloProFan is online now Find More Posts by SoloProFan
Last edited by SoloProFan; Apr 16, 2015 at 07:23 AM.
Old Apr 07, 2015, 09:52 AM
Find More Posts by swcs
Joined Sep 2013
28 Posts
Graupner SJ Micro Magic HOTT RTR

Hearing that Graupner Germany had the new MM HOTT RTR in stock I discussed with Class Sec Martin Gray and agreed to attempt to buy one from Germany to test the process and do an evaluation of the new RTR version. This has been completed and I have written up the evaluation in two parts 1. Process, Hull & Appendages; Part 2 Sails, Rig and Sailing. The write-ups and photos will soon be published on one of The MM web sites.
In summary, buying from Germany was very simple and quick, only a few quirks to watch for; total delivered cost including AMEX Foreign Transaction fee $350.00.
The RTR is a beautifully built, faithful copy of Mike Weston, UK's "Champ Spec" boat while the rig is a hybrid of old standard MM Racing and some Tushingham "Graphite" rig refinements and sails are the same as used to come on the previous RTR version. Only drawback is that the boat is heavier, it seems that all the new versions have thicker hull and deck moldings and heavier duty plastic servo boards.
Sailing performance straight line is very similar but slightly reduced responsiveness in light shifty winds where a lot of maneuvering is required. Conclusions are preliminary as much more sailing experience needs to be accumulated. Overall a great addition to the MM product range!
Mike
swcs is offline Find More Posts by swcs
Old Apr 07, 2015, 01:46 PM
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
15,024 Posts
Sounds great, to hear it's built well. RTR often stands for Ready to Repair, this seems to be a nice exception to that rule.

How much is the ready to sail weight?
Old Apr 07, 2015, 08:02 PM
Find More Posts by Boomer1
Boomer1
United States, CA, Temecula
Joined Sep 2009
3,768 Posts
Assembly question -

Gents
I have a question. The kit's instructions state the rubber seal ( item #54 gasket) should bonded to under side of the canopy ( item #55)

I have posted photos that show an alternative approach. I have seen two boats with the rubber seal (O-ring) installed in the "molded in" recess around the hatch opening in the deck. The other's I've seen are all installed per the instructions.

How did you install the seal in your boat? In the canopy or in the deck recess? Is one better than the other?

Wonder if the new factory RTR version's gasket are installed per the instruction suggest? I have old pre-production photos that suggest they do.

Thanks in advance for your input!
Boomer
Boomer1 is online now Find More Posts by Boomer1
Last edited by Boomer1; Apr 07, 2015 at 08:16 PM.
Old Apr 07, 2015, 09:39 PM
Joined Feb 2008
386 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer1 View Post
Gents
I have a question. The kit's instructions state the rubber seal ( item #54 gasket) should bonded to under side of the canopy ( item #55)

I have posted photos that show an alternative approach. I have seen two boats with the rubber seal (O-ring) installed in the "molded in" recess around the hatch opening in the deck. The other's I've seen are all installed per the instructions.

How did you install the seal in your boat? In the canopy or in the deck recess? Is one better than the other?

Wonder if the new factory RTR version's gasket are installed per the instruction suggest? I have old pre-production photos that suggest they do.

Thanks in advance for your input!
Boomer
I have always glued the rubber to the underside of the canopy using thin CA glue. It's always worked well....
Old Apr 07, 2015, 10:03 PM
Find More Posts by crashnburned
I meant to do that....
United States, CA, Upland
Joined Dec 2005
380 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flatlandsailor View Post
I have always glued the rubber to the underside of the canopy using thin CA glue. It's always worked well....
I have done the same on both of my MM without issues.
crashnburned is offline Find More Posts by crashnburned
Old Apr 08, 2015, 12:03 AM
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
15,024 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer1 View Post

I have the seal on the canopy on both boats, and these are usually dry inside, unless it does a lot of "submarining" due to strong gusts.

I think it doesn't really matter for the water tightness where the seal is, but if it's in the hatch it's easier to remove, should you ever want to replace it. Also, if dirt gets in the deck recess, you can just wipe it from the groove easily, when nothing is in there, With the seal there, dirt can get between the seal and the sides, making it harder to remove.

I would definitely prefer installing the seal on the canopy, but mostly for these practical reasons.
Old Apr 08, 2015, 09:13 AM
Find More Posts by swcs
Joined Sep 2013
28 Posts
Part I of my review of the MM HOTT RTR is now posted in the Forum on the US MMCOA web site.
To answer the posted questions, in the version I received the total weight, ready to sail including a 5-AAA 1000 mah NiMH battery and Spektrum AR6100e RX, was 990 gm. The rubber seal was installed inside the canopy rim. I had to re-glue a section of it after the first outing.
Part II will be posted shortly.
Mike
Old Apr 08, 2015, 09:19 AM
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
15,024 Posts
That's indeed on the heavy side. Though one of my boats (the one with the white sails) is also over 900, but with a 4 cell AA 2000 mAh battery, and a full size rudder servo. It still sails well, even in light winds it needs just a puff to keep moving, but in a regatta it would probably lag behind. I sailed against a regatta boat once, and was slower on every possible course. Though I did improve the setup a little since then, with the boat being able to go a little better upwind.
Old Apr 08, 2015, 12:08 PM
Find More Posts by swcs
Joined Sep 2013
28 Posts
Graupner SJ MM HOTT RTR

Part 2 of my review is now posted on the US MMCOA Forum.
Mike
Old Apr 14, 2015, 08:20 AM
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
15,024 Posts
A little more footage, shot at the artificial lake, that I found to be an excellent sailing spot:

Sailing in a recently created artificial lake (2 min 36 sec)
Old Apr 15, 2015, 10:55 AM
Find More Posts by Boomer1
Boomer1
United States, CA, Temecula
Joined Sep 2009
3,768 Posts
Just an FYI - I was able to order some parts from Cornwall Models UK (sales@cornwallmodelboats.co.uk)
Got a clear hatch cover and the rubber seal. Prompt service. Parts have been shipped.
They have a number of items should anyone be in need.
Boomer

Nice video Solo!
Boomer1 is online now Find More Posts by Boomer1
Last edited by Boomer1; Apr 17, 2015 at 12:11 PM.
Old Yesterday, 08:06 PM
Joined Feb 2008
386 Posts
Congratulations to Mike Eades, who won the Micro Magic National Championship held this past weekend in Goodyear, AZ. Apparently there were 18 boats competing...

1. Mike Eades (AZ)
2. Baron Bremer (FL)
3. Jeff Weiss (CA)
4. Ron Stephanz (AL)
5. Frank van der Zwan (NED)