HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 14, 2014, 09:50 PM
Owns an Evil Black Rifle
United States, TX, Weatherford
Joined Dec 2005
1,038 Posts
Discussion
tx question

Getting back into it after a few years, and I am looking for input on a decent tax for full house sailplane use. Low cost systems! Got two teens that eat faster than I make money, so I can't jump into a $$ system.
Twizter68 is offline Find More Posts by Twizter68
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 15, 2014, 12:53 AM
United Kingdom, England, Keighley
Joined Nov 2012
281 Posts
Got a budget in mind?
Can you consider 2nd hand or do you want new?

I think turnigy's 9x is in the "cheap as you can go" category, but someone more knowledgeable will be along shortly
Stu L is online now Find More Posts by Stu L
Old Aug 15, 2014, 08:47 AM
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2004
5,660 Posts
I have my slopers, including a few full house gliders, on a 9XR with a orange module using orange receivers. I had them on my 9503 but filled its 50 model memory and got the 9XR for just gliders. Excellent value though the programing is very different than normal Spek, JR or Futaba type stuff. $50 radio and $30 module for a really nice radio. There is a big thread here on RCG on it.

http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...o_Module_.html

http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...mpatible_.html
Evan D is offline Find More Posts by Evan D
Old Aug 15, 2014, 08:50 AM
Joined Jan 2008
4,436 Posts
I acquired a gently used Aurora-9 for about $250, in the RCGroups.com classifieds.

Yours, Greg
glidermang is offline Find More Posts by glidermang
Old Aug 15, 2014, 11:12 AM
Joined Oct 2005
1,309 Posts
XG8 review/thread http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1479460
mlachow is offline Find More Posts by mlachow
Old Aug 15, 2014, 11:20 AM
Owns an Evil Black Rifle
Joined Dec 2005
1,038 Posts
Mike, how much is the XG8 going for?
Old Aug 15, 2014, 12:34 PM
jjc
Joined Sep 2002
277 Posts
Take a look at the Airtronics SD-10G, it is a excellent sailplane radio. Very easy programming relatively speaking. High reliability, and you can still find them for under 300.00. It has now been replaced with SD-10GX I believe. I don't own one personally, but several of the guys in my club have them and they don't have any problems. John
jjc is online now Find More Posts by jjc
Old Aug 15, 2014, 12:54 PM
SW PA
Joined Aug 2010
473 Posts
Hey Twizter,
If you're interested in the Airtronics SD-10G that jjc recommended, I have a clean one in the original box, manual, xtra batt., & charger shipped for $155. PM me if interested.

Denny
yorkiepap is offline Find More Posts by yorkiepap
Old Aug 15, 2014, 01:02 PM
United Kingdom, Glos
Joined Feb 2009
540 Posts
I haven't got one, but I know a couple of glider guiders who have gone for the FrSky Taranis and are very pleased with them. This might be a good read http://www.rc-soar.com/opentx/ US supplier is http://www.alofthobbies.com/
FrankS is offline Find More Posts by FrankS
Old Aug 15, 2014, 02:02 PM
Joined Oct 2005
1,309 Posts
The other question is what did you have in the past? That might make you want to prefer one brand of programming to another. And if you have some slightly older 72 radios that had modules, there are 2.4 modules available for most of those.

How much local soaring activity do you have and what do the guys at the field prefer? They might be able to provide some assistance in programming and setup. But that will depend on their skill and experience level. If you ask for help, have them show you their setup first. If they don't mix aileron into flaps or have a huge amount of differential or don't ever mix elevator into camber then keep looking for help. If you are on your own, or like videos then visit radiocarbonart. http://www.radiocarbonart.com/2-4-ra...inic-download/
Old Aug 15, 2014, 04:55 PM
Owns an Evil Black Rifle
Joined Dec 2005
1,038 Posts
I mostly flew an Airtronics Stylus, but had JR/Spent rum, and an Aurora 9. Sold all my gear when it looked like my eyes were going out rapidly. The cataract has stabilized the last two years, and I need to get back out in the field. Budget precludes anything much more than $100 or so.
Old Aug 15, 2014, 08:22 PM
Joined Oct 2005
1,309 Posts
Look for used radio for that budget. You can probably find a Stylus. And certainly JR 9303/Spectrum in your budget range.
Old Aug 15, 2014, 09:46 PM
Wellington, New Zealand
Joined Sep 2009
392 Posts
The Taranis is in a class of its own both in features but also in price. It's extremely flexible and powerful. If you can conceive it, it can do it. The down side is that it's a very steep learning curve. Certainly not as "turn key" as other radios.
taurineman is online now Find More Posts by taurineman
Old Aug 15, 2014, 10:08 PM
Mark LSF # 3792
United States, TX, Garland
Joined Nov 2008
662 Posts
Not many Styluses (Styli?) around any more that still function. Less than $100 pretty much leaves you with the older Spektrum, JR or Chinese imports and eliminates the Taranis also. All, are not very (shall I say?) user friendly, for a six servo sailplane. I really like my SD-10G's though. Very dependable, easy programming (like earlier Airtronics radios) and a great value in a high feature, well supported radio. Good luck with your search.

BTW, get in touch with Schrederman (here on Groups) he lives out your way and flys with us SLNT guys on occasion over here in the metroplex. He might be able to assist you in your search.
Soarmark is offline Find More Posts by Soarmark
Old Aug 16, 2014, 06:06 AM
Owns an Evil Black Rifle
Joined Dec 2005
1,038 Posts
Hooking up with him tomorrow as a matter of fact!