HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 12, 2001, 06:48 PM
Leicester England
Joined Jun 2001
591 Posts
One Cell Tiger Moth

Thanks to Andy for sorting out the vidoe problems.

Here is a clip of Dr Chris and his amazing one cell TM
10" span, 12g flying weight, one 50 mA NiCD cell. Motor runs from his DIY voltage booster. Geared pager motor, home made 0.2g carbon fibre prop. Infra red control, proportional rudder and throttle. Foam construction
VID
http://gaspode.aguk.co.uk/tiger%20moth%20small.mpg

PIC
http://www.aeronutz.flyer.co.uk/DrChrisTM.JPG

Nice round of applause !!
aeronutz is offline Find More Posts by aeronutz
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 12, 2001, 09:55 PM
Just an average RC'er
Laurel, Maryland USA
Joined Aug 2000
4,291 Posts
Wow that is amazing, it looked to be a good flyer as well! 12 grams,.... unbelievable.
Jim McPherson is offline Find More Posts by Jim McPherson
Old Dec 12, 2001, 10:10 PM
Houston Texas
Joined Mar 2001
743 Posts
I like it, seems like that geared pager motor has quite a bit of power. Do you happen to know his gear ratio, and the size of the pager motor? Some day I would like to get a Bird like that in the air.
Philip
fill is offline Find More Posts by fill
Old Dec 12, 2001, 10:57 PM
ὅπερ ἔδει δεῖξαι
Joined May 2000
3,335 Posts
Amazing! So how well did it survive the collision into the bench or the wall by the bench?
Gerald is offline Find More Posts by Gerald
Old Dec 12, 2001, 11:02 PM
New Milford CT 06776
Joined Sep 2000
621 Posts
DIY voltage booster?

Aeronutz, Where can I get more info on that booster? I am assuming that DIY means "Do It Yourself" If you can get us the plans and a parts list that would be great. John Tracey
JTinCT is offline Find More Posts by JTinCT
Old Dec 12, 2001, 11:16 PM
soft yummy goodness.
North Jersey, USA
Joined Oct 2001
735 Posts
Brilliant! I love to see ingenuity pay off. Hats off!

-chris
freq is offline Find More Posts by freq
Old Dec 13, 2001, 07:37 AM
St. Paul, MN
Joined Feb 2001
337 Posts
Fantastic!! Must have more info on the setup.

Thanks for sharing this.

Chad
towlebooth is offline Find More Posts by towlebooth
Old Dec 13, 2001, 12:52 PM
Leicester England
Joined Jun 2001
591 Posts
And it wasn't luck either!

He also has a one cell Jigglet that fliers better than that and a little SE5A
I posted his twin motor steering vid in the indoor Lancaster thread.
The voltage booster is slightly modified by himself, I think he has changed the inductor and the general circuit board layout, these things are sensitive to the layout of the parts.
The pager motor is the Cloud 9 one. He wrote two articles for Model Flyer International magazine about one/two cells planes.
I think he could be tempted to write anther article.
The funny thing is the smaller our planes get, the cheaper they are! What a pleasure.
There are some more Pics in our news letter http://www.aeronutz.flyer.co.uk/Nov2001.html
I don't remember the TM being broken, he crashed the Jigglet one cell plane and broke the rear fuselage - just glued it back on with Bison Clear Adhesive, no problems. Less weight means less momentum and less damage.
I think he would sell the voltage booster, I am not sure if it is built into the Rx unit (one Pic chip a capacitor and a MOSFET!!) or if it is separate. I would think either Chris or Graham could make a few if folks are interested.
Andy has a little vid of my Catalina NOT flying, don't think we will mention that one!!
Old Dec 13, 2001, 09:24 PM
Berkeley, CA USA
Joined Apr 2001
643 Posts
IR systems...

any info on how to build up an IR tx/rx system? plans...site?

I guess i could say...FAKE!! FAKE!! No way can you fly on one cell!!

j/k : )
Mighty Mik is offline Find More Posts by Mighty Mik
Old Dec 14, 2001, 05:32 AM
MSC Rödinghausen, Germany
Joined Feb 2001
954 Posts
Hi,

... wow! ...

I'm speechless, the guys above said it all.
jberg is offline Find More Posts by jberg
Old Dec 14, 2001, 01:04 PM
Leicester England
Joined Jun 2001
591 Posts
Is it a fake?

I think it would be harder to fake than to make for real !

Without wishing to put Dr Chris's marvel down it's not really that hard to do.
It is just a few pieces of foam, one cell, pager motor, gears, gear bearing made from brass tubes. The Z Tron infra red Rx can be supplied assembled or you can solder it together yourself. Dr Chris can supply the voltage booster. The carbon prop. is formed around a plastic bottle. Chris or Graham can supply the coil if you like, eh, anything else? Painting the plane - now that's difficult!!!

Dr Chris's TM is noteworthy because it looks like a plane, with paint and all the drag you would expect from a plane shapped plane. Notice to that the gears are as big as the nose. Your prop. can't be huge (which would be better) because it will look silly and hits the floor.

Now Chris has this machine he can use it as a bench mark. Next time he can just change the shape and colour scheme so he can make more-or-less any bipe! Whoopie

And they are cheap so he can have three at once, if one breaks, put it back in the (small) box and try another one.
At our last fun fly I took 18 free flight planes, one twin motor steering Catalina, three rubber powered IR controlled Corsairs, one sports rubber power IR machine, one sports cabin style two cells IR machine, one two cells IR Mig 3 and one two cells IR Corsair. Its just as well they are light!! Non of them flew on that day - too many planes not enough brains!
Oh! and two IR two cells delta designs
Old Dec 14, 2001, 01:46 PM
Stuck on a rock
Faroe Islands, Sandoy, Sandur
Joined Nov 2000
5,886 Posts
I can only second what our dear Aeronutz friend (that you Mark?) says - IR is cheap and cheerful. I have the combo rx/esc/voltage booster and actuators from Graham and it works really well. My equipment is installed in one of the famous Aeronutz Jigglets (renamed Piglet because it is made from pink foam). I have geared the KP-00 motor and use a homemade carbon prop moulded on the top of a small Graupner prop. Thrust on 2 cells is on slightly higher than a direct drive KP-00 but current draw is halved which allows me to use the tiny 70mah NiMH cells.

Sadly I have not had a chance to fly the model yet. I moved country and have just now managed to hook up with some indoor fliers. Unfortunately the flying this Sunday got cancelled and I'm working the next time the gym is free

You need a steady hand for some of the soldering, but other than that it is very easy to work with this micro stuff.

Michael
epilot is offline Find More Posts by epilot
Old Dec 14, 2001, 02:35 PM
Berkeley, CA USA
Joined Apr 2001
643 Posts
Re: Is it a fake?

Quote:
Originally posted by aeronutz
I think it would be harder to fake than to make for real !

Without wishing to put Dr Chris's marvel down it's not really that hard to do.
It is just a few pieces of foam, one cell, pager motor, gears, gear bearing made from brass tubes. The Z Tron infra red Rx can be supplied assembled or you can solder it together yourself. Dr Chris can supply the voltage booster. The carbon prop. is formed around a plastic bottle. Chris or Graham can supply the coil if you like, eh, anything else? Painting the plane - now that's difficult!!!

Dr Chris's TM is noteworthy because it looks like a plane, with paint and all the drag you would expect from a plane shapped plane. Notice to that the gears are as big as the nose. Your prop. can't be huge (which would be better) because it will look silly and hits the floor.

Now Chris has this machine he can use it as a bench mark. Next time he can just change the shape and colour scheme so he can make more-or-less any bipe! Whoopie

And they are cheap so he can have three at once, if one breaks, put it back in the (small) box and try another one.
At our last fun fly I took 18 free flight planes, one twin motor steering Catalina, three rubber powered IR controlled Corsairs, one sports rubber power IR machine, one sports cabin style two cells IR machine, one two cells IR Mig 3 and one two cells IR Corsair. Its just as well they are light!! Non of them flew on that day - too many planes not enough brains!
Oh! and two IR two cells delta designs
I do hope you saw the j/k <--just kidding and the : ) <--smilie face. The IR stuff is new to me, and i just came across the Z Tron site. I also don't know who Dr Chris is...though he must be kewl. The TM I'm anyway familiar with is the GWS variety. So...imagine my amazement in seeing that vid. : )

I do wonder what that kind of set-up would do in a non-scale type indoor plane. (like the FF type).

As to cheap...I thought $40 for the Tx was a little pricy, combined with a $17 Rx, that's right there with a low end 2ch radio. I don't have an indoor site anyway, so it'a all academic, but way kewl none the less.
Mighty Mik is offline Find More Posts by Mighty Mik
Old Dec 14, 2001, 03:47 PM
Just an average RC'er
Laurel, Maryland USA
Joined Aug 2000
4,291 Posts
Re: Re: Is it a fake?

Quote:
Originally posted by Mighty Mik

As to cheap...I thought $40 for the Tx was a little pricy, combined with a $17 Rx, that's right there with a low end 2ch radio.
Pricey? Let me quote YOU. "that's right there with a low end 2 ch radio". EXACTLY, and for that you get a 3 channel IR system that is lighter than ANYTHING else, works well, and is very versitile(servos or actuators). And at only $17.00 per RX you can make a whole fleet for DIRT cheap. Compare that to the other "lightest in the industry" products....(cough cough SHR). I am amazed at the inexpensiveness of the ZTRON systems.
Jim McPherson is offline Find More Posts by Jim McPherson
Last edited by Jim McPherson; Dec 14, 2001 at 03:51 PM.
Old Dec 14, 2001, 03:49 PM
high-speed freak
San Jose, CA
Joined Sep 2001
3,863 Posts
$17 for an ir rx is expensive? how much do you pay for your gws rx's?

the ir is simple, but it has been made to work well... you're paying for sergio zigras (and others?) and their time spent testing and building.

as for ir, I'm confused... dynamics unlimited makes one, ztron makes one, sounds like dr chris is using a self-built?

I'm going to put together a plane this small for indoor someday, so I too would be interested in a voltage booster and coils... add tx and rx from ztron, and your radio setup is complete, right? pulse drivers on the ztron for the coils?

I've seen the ultra micro radio gear and actuator stuff, and it's confusing to have 5 different circuit boards that need to be plugged together (like the ones on cloud 9) and even like dynamics... i need a one-piece system... does the ztron have an esc built-in?
opualuan is offline Find More Posts by opualuan