HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 10, 2013, 03:53 PM
Be an organ donor
Little Rock, AR. U.S.A via U.K
Joined May 2004
1,146 Posts
Discussion
Austin silent flyers

I have a friend in Austin, TX who has been involved in RC planes for years. His two areas are sailplanes and control line. When on a sailplane kick he flew at the same field as the Austin silent flyers. He went to check out the field today and just found a bunch of construction going on. Any idea where these guys are flying now?

Why am I asking and not him? He forgot his password for RCG and it was just as easy for me to ask.
kwmtrubrit is online now Find More Posts by kwmtrubrit
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 10, 2013, 05:08 PM
san antonio texas
Joined Oct 2004
66 Posts
I don't think the club is around any more.
mike5656 is offline Find More Posts by mike5656
Old Nov 10, 2013, 05:21 PM
Joined Jul 2009
561 Posts
It's supposed to be around still. As far as I know, the gentleman who was the foundation of the club moved and renewed everyone's membership for another year in hopes of keeping the club alive. It's located in the southwest corner of this complex, just south of the maintenance barn. https://parks.traviscountytx.gov/fin...ortheast-metro The club website got attacked a while back so communication is difficult, but I will do my best to get you in contact with the right person if you really want to get access to the field and launch equipment.
edfmaniac is offline Find More Posts by edfmaniac
Old Nov 10, 2013, 05:33 PM
Joined Jul 2009
561 Posts
I still can't figure out why a town the size of Austin, and one with so many geeks, doesn't have a booming rc sailplane community. It seems like the perfect mix of people and we have way better than average soaring conditions. My newest goal is to have a nice high performance 6 meter scale plane by this time next year that has a retractable self launching system, either propeller or ducted fan.
Old Nov 11, 2013, 04:14 PM
Corpus Christi, Texas, United States
Joined May 2003
1,279 Posts
Contact HOTSS in San Antonio, I am sure one of those guys knows.

http://www.hotss-rc.org/
rcsoar4fun is offline Find More Posts by rcsoar4fun
Old Nov 11, 2013, 07:13 PM
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Jun 2004
213 Posts
ASF club status

Send me a PM with your email address and I'll update you privately. I'm a founding member and not a scammer. We hope to be flying again soon.
BCNU
Bruce
Bruce1 is offline Find More Posts by Bruce1
Old Nov 11, 2013, 09:35 PM
Joined Jul 2009
561 Posts
I thought you might chime in Bruce. You were the person I was going to contact if the original poster was interested. Let me know if there's any decent activity out there.
Old Nov 12, 2013, 11:15 PM
Joined Jun 2004
213 Posts
Asf

Will do Victor.
Bruce1 is offline Find More Posts by Bruce1
Old Dec 08, 2013, 04:24 PM
Have Fun! Land, Sea or Air
Joined Jul 2006
1,356 Posts
I just passed by the field on the way home and there is no way they are flying at the same site anymore. The place is covered in heavy equipment doing dirt work.
jetcaptain is offline Find More Posts by jetcaptain
Old Dec 08, 2013, 08:53 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
United States, TX, Weatherford
Joined Nov 2002
7,779 Posts
That's too bad... I'd sure like to see Bruce and the rest get that going again. I sure miss Don True... What a fun guy he was...
schrederman is offline Find More Posts by schrederman
Old Dec 08, 2013, 09:02 PM
Have Fun! Land, Sea or Air
Joined Jul 2006
1,356 Posts
I was curious as to what happened to the club and did a little research. It looks like the city of Austin had other plans for it. They are making a BMX track.

http://www.youtube.com/user/centexbmx
jetcaptain is offline Find More Posts by jetcaptain
Old Dec 08, 2013, 09:43 PM
Joined Jul 2009
561 Posts
I miss Don too. He was a great guy to fly with because his joy for the hobby was undeniable. Maybe if enough of us get together it can happen again. We need the numbers though. Where are you sailplane pilots at.....the ones who will come fly?
Old Dec 10, 2013, 10:54 AM
Joined Mar 2010
1,337 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by edfmaniac View Post
I miss Don too. He was a great guy to fly with because his joy for the hobby was undeniable. Maybe if enough of us get together it can happen again. We need the numbers though. Where are you sailplane pilots at.....the ones who will come fly?
I WILL. I WAS flying there just about every week during the week days.

I only need the space they left, looks alike about 1/2 the original 157 acres. But then I fly electric sailplanes. Do high starts/ winches need more room? I suppose they might...

I can SHARE
rtbates is offline Find More Posts by rtbates
Old Dec 10, 2013, 10:57 AM
Joined Nov 2009
9 Posts
Silent Flyers Interested Pilot

I flew my bird of time at this site just this past winter. It seems to have been the only austin area field strictly for use by glider rc pilots. Alas now it is being built upon. I don't have the resources or time to really kickstart a field hunt and club revival myself but count me as a would-be dues-paying member for a new field for sure.
ATCave is offline Find More Posts by ATCave
Old Dec 10, 2013, 11:00 AM
Joined Nov 2009
9 Posts
The space was plenty for a heavy duty high start for 3m sailplane, which is what I use, and I would guess for a winch (or two) as well.
ATCave is offline Find More Posts by ATCave