SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 31, 2013, 11:54 PM
If u aint 1st your last
Sydney, Australia
Joined Mar 2010
1,777 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chktm View Post
Wow Chris, I've never done that but I guess now the end can't fail something else has to. No good mate.
Yeah mate the shock end works well i just have to find a way to strengthen the bits around it now.
Throttlejunkie is offline Find More Posts by Throttlejunkie
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 01, 2013, 12:05 AM
Australia, QLD, Burua
Joined Jul 2012
2,628 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Throttlejunkie View Post
We went to a small bmx track which was mainly grass with just a thin dirt line where pushbikes ride around it & the jumps are only about 2 foot high, i only did a couple of laps no big air or anything as i was taking it easy since it was the first time on the track & i pulled a wheelie over a jump & went endo down the other side & it was not even a big endo, the only thing i can think of is the top shock mount was stressed from previous crashes & i did not see it but looking at the mount it should have been beefier being the shock mount & the lower plate should be stronger to be able to support the weight of the wheel, it is a shame as the rest of the bike seems pretty bullet proof, i will have to have a think & see if there is any way i can strengthen these areas, i was disappointed more than pissed as i was looking forward to trying a new track.
It does suck mate. I was thinking maybe you could make up a alloy upper shock mount that screws to the chassis? The other option is to beef the lower chassis I suppose. Sometimes it can take some major abuse and nothing breaks and then I guess if it gets stressed the wrong way things can fail.
chktm is online now Find More Posts by chktm
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: More Tyre Thoughts
Old Feb 01, 2013, 02:16 AM
Norwich,UK
Joined Feb 2006
1,275 Posts
The upper shock point should only see load after the bottom plate has broken so I wonder if the swingarm stop should be a nylon rather than metal so it can give a little under load it must be the shockload that snaps it. The top mount is possibly a bit too tuneable its almost chain drilled. After seeing those pics I am going to screw my bump stop screws fully in and I have some thin hard self adhesive rubber I will fit in the swingarm bottom well.
Gaz-b is offline Find More Posts by Gaz-b
Last edited by Gaz-b; Feb 01, 2013 at 02:45 AM.
Old Feb 01, 2013, 02:56 AM
Australia, QLD, Burua
Joined Jul 2012
2,628 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaz-b View Post
The upper shock point should only see load after the bottom plate has broken so I wonder if the swingarm stop should be a nylon rather than metal so it can give a little under load it must be the shock that snaps it. The top mount is possibly a bit too tuneable its almost chain drilled. After seeing those pics I am going to screw my bump stop screws fully in and I have some thin hard self adhesive rubber I will fit in the swingarm bottom well.
Gaz the trouble is the bottom plate flexes so the shock sees load on both the upper and lower points as soon as the rear wheel hits in a cartwheel or bad landing. The lower chassis breaks usually after the shock has pulled because of this flex. Ideally what's needed is no flex and a strengthened lower chassis and or an alloy or beefier top mount now that TJ has a alloy lower shock end.
chktm is online now Find More Posts by chktm
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: More Tyre Thoughts
Old Feb 01, 2013, 04:42 AM
Puerto Rico, Guayama, Guayama
Joined Jun 2006
1,462 Posts
Quote:
I have finally test run the new bike in a car park gyro being in reverse was interesting. Sorted that and on the std motor and a 14t pinion wow sooooo much torque still this is on a 65-130c 6200 A spec nano tho so no voltage dips. Roll on the weekend let the slipper off a bit and get them muddy.
Hey Gaz,

How one can tell if the gyro runs in reverse?

David
davehour is offline Find More Posts by davehour
Old Feb 01, 2013, 06:38 AM
Joined Jun 2006
1,462 Posts
Received the Atomik Nylon upgrade: It's really a downgrade. Ordering some 1/4" nylon bars...http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-ny...6-rods/=ladm6s

Chris, I received the 1.2 pistons and filled the spare big bore shock with AE 70. Damping is somewhat similar (I'll be able to tell more after I remove the one from the bike) I'll swap shocks and see how there handling compare. The shock I have in the bike has 1.3 pistons with an unknown mixture of AE80 and Ofna 5,000. I also bought a bottle of AE 2,000 CST and AE 3,000 CST to compare them to the unknown mixture I'm using in the bike, and have an idea of its actual CST value.

David

David
Old Feb 01, 2013, 07:13 AM
Norwich,UK
Joined Feb 2006
1,275 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davehour View Post
Hey Gaz,

How one can tell if the gyro runs in reverse?

David
Its not far from if a helli gyro sense is reversed the bike leans in a direction and the gyro punches it into the to deck in that direction rather than resist it.
Old Feb 01, 2013, 07:18 AM
Norwich,UK
Joined Feb 2006
1,275 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davehour View Post
Received the Atomik Nylon upgrade: It's really a downgrade. Ordering some 1/4" nylon bars...http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-ny...6-rods/=ladm6s
I got home for lunch to find this had arrived today.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3805473703...84.m1439.l2649
Old Feb 01, 2013, 09:52 AM
Joined Jun 2006
1,462 Posts
Quote:
Its not far from if a helli gyro sense is reversed the bike leans in a direction and the gyro punches it into the to deck in that direction rather than resist it.
Very interesting. Great bikes don't crash as helis do, LOL.

David
Last edited by davehour; Feb 01, 2013 at 10:03 AM.
Old Feb 01, 2013, 10:28 AM
RC Dirt Bike Action
California central coast
Joined Feb 2010
1,758 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Throttlejunkie View Post
Yeah mate the shock end works well i just have to find a way to strengthen the bits around it now.
For the top mount, maybe if you made 2 thin alum side plates that match mounting holes that would fit on each side. You would add 2 extra screws and nuts, front and back of the shock mount, plus the one thru the shock eye.
JohnnyMc is offline Find More Posts by JohnnyMc
Old Feb 01, 2013, 11:10 AM
Joined Jun 2006
1,462 Posts
I'm pissed guys . Bought parts to have a complete ready to install spare shock to find I have to buy part 0412, which is the stock shock for $17.99, just to get that silly lower spring perch. OMG, shame, shame, shame. It should had come with part 0427, rear shock pivots for $2.99.

David
Last edited by davehour; Feb 01, 2013 at 11:16 AM.
Old Feb 01, 2013, 11:38 AM
United Kingdom, England, Ware
Joined Aug 2012
169 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabe View Post
My virus checker wont even let me go to that site. Beware.....
Thanks for reporting that and have put a warning on my original posting .
Following your information I did a quick Google search where their name comes up with not one good comment .
Perhaps this observation puts it in a nutshell

"I registered, added stuff to basket and followed the payment process to see where it lead me. although paypal and usual credit cards at the footer, when you check out it is only possible to pay by wire transfer or western union...dodgy, very dodgy".

A refinement of the traditional "Your unknown relative has passed away leaving you thousands in his will
Please confirm your bank details with all security codes and the funds will be forwarded"

Cheers Jim
Jimob23 is offline Find More Posts by Jimob23
Old Feb 01, 2013, 12:18 PM
Joined Jun 2006
1,462 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimob23 View Post
Thanks for reporting that and have put a warning on my original posting .
Following your information I did a quick Google search where their name comes up with not one good comment .
Perhaps this observation puts it in a nutshell

"I registered, added stuff to basket and followed the payment process to see where it lead me. although paypal and usual credit cards at the footer, when you check out it is only possible to pay by wire transfer or western union...dodgy, very dodgy".

A refinement of the traditional "Your unknown relative has passed away leaving you thousands in his will
Please confirm your bank details with all security codes and the funds will be forwarded"

Cheers Jim
It's impressive how people use common human behaviour to commit crimes. I can imagine they thought of persons spending quite time filling the cart with nice stuff at a deal price, then they notice that Paypal or CC can't be used, but because they invested so much work and effort going through everything to makeup the order, they will pay the way they could (in this case, the way it's wanted) just for the fact they don't want to loose the time nor the deal.

David
Old Feb 01, 2013, 01:45 PM
United Kingdom, England, Ware
Joined Aug 2012
169 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyMc View Post
For the top mount, maybe if you made 2 thin alum side plates that match mounting holes that would fit on each side. You would add 2 extra screws and nuts, front and back of the shock mount, plus the one thru the shock eye.
John
Sounds like a practical fix .
The only suggestion I would make was also have some spacers very slightly thicker than the shock eye for the extra bolts and nuts .
You could then really nip up the additional bolts but avoid pulling in the existing plastic

Jim
Jimob23 is offline Find More Posts by Jimob23
Old Feb 01, 2013, 03:15 PM
RC Dirt Bike Action
California central coast
Joined Feb 2010
1,758 Posts
Looking around locally and nobody had chktm's suggested BEL RAY Super Clean Chain Lube, so I will need to shop online. Browsing the internet I ran into another product that Im seeing nothing but good reviews from bikers for and a little cheaper: DuPont Teflon Chain-Saver Lubricant.

Anyone heard of it? What about using on bearings? I might have to try it out.
JohnnyMc is offline Find More Posts by JohnnyMc