HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 07, 2012, 01:44 AM
United States, CA, Santa Clarita
Joined Aug 2009
8,676 Posts
Discussion
HET...90mm, F-20 Tigershark...(prototype)

This is Corsair Nut's 90mm HET F-20 prototype that he's working on the final design, with EJF and HET.
It's a great looking and flying model.

The warm weather made for a very busy flying field on Saturday. We'll be sure to get more video during a less crowded (and noisey) opportunity.

HET 90mm F-20 prototype (7 min 5 sec)
efflux RC is offline Find More Posts by efflux RC
Site Sponsor
Last edited by efflux RC; Feb 07, 2012 at 01:52 AM. Reason: added photos
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 07, 2012, 02:06 AM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
20,794 Posts
Great Vid Gary .....target rich inviroment im sure Robert will enjoy that vid.F-20's just fly sooo well ...gues thats why most sport jet have a layout like the F-20.
AIR SALLY is online now Find More Posts by AIR SALLY
Old Feb 07, 2012, 04:59 AM
2014 EDF JET JAM We be Jamming
St. Louis Intl, Missouri, United States
Joined Jan 1997
6,809 Posts
Nice!!!
Kevin Cox is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Cox
Old Feb 07, 2012, 07:05 AM
Cincinnati, Ohio
Joined Mar 2004
589 Posts
Very nice! I am glad they added the extra details to the airframe, like the Lexx's and splitter plates. How is the lay-up? Good flying btw...
CTulanko is offline Find More Posts by CTulanko
Old Feb 07, 2012, 11:53 AM
Holland
Joined Apr 2003
142 Posts
Looks that it doesn't like slow speeds.
Watch the landing, he is pulling up, but the plane doesn't respond that much. It puts nose high, and that was it
Hoeby is offline Find More Posts by Hoeby
Old Feb 07, 2012, 12:01 PM
Everett, WA
Joined Aug 2002
659 Posts
Any idea what is the spec? Length & Wing Span?

Thanks!
eaticus is offline Find More Posts by eaticus
Old Feb 07, 2012, 12:06 PM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
20,794 Posts
i think the landing was a bit rushed due to traffic.i've seen him land it better . also this was a prototype and had a really heavy paint job that got sanded off and repainted ...im sure the fuse layup could be done lighter for the production kits .it's not a floater,it's a little hot ...he landed with throttle as full scale jet are landed.a lighter build would be fine .
AIR SALLY is online now Find More Posts by AIR SALLY
Old Feb 07, 2012, 12:22 PM
Team EJF >>>WHOOSH>>>
Joined Jul 2004
5,281 Posts
That thing is totally Baller-Status!!!
Excellent work Brent.

Well now that the cat's out of the bag, here's another prototype coming down HET's pipeline... the Northrop F-20 Tigershark!
Brent has been working on this one for a while now, tweaking here/there, and taking care of some factory imperfections.
As you can see, his efforts have resulted in a really nice looking and great flying model!

No ETA on this one (as far as delivery) just yet guys, but this is another example of our trusting new agreement with HET to let our boys at EJF have more direct involvement and input in their new models. And with guys like Brent doing this kind of work, you can rest assured you're gonna like what's in the box!

Thanks Gary for posting that video, and great job once again to Brent.

Vic
AceMigKiller is offline Find More Posts by AceMigKiller
Old Feb 07, 2012, 12:29 PM
New Jersey
Joined Feb 2003
8,004 Posts
Looks and flys great! nice job Brent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by efflux RC View Post
This is Corsair Nut's 90mm HET F-20 prototype that he's working on the final design, with EJF and HET.
It's a great looking and flying model.

The warm weather made for a very busy flying field on Saturday. We'll be sure to get more video during a less crowded (and noisey) opportunity.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLmsd7jb14o
Tumbler is offline Find More Posts by Tumbler
Old Feb 07, 2012, 12:32 PM
Team EJF >>>WHOOSH>>>
Joined Jul 2004
5,281 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoeby View Post
Looks that it doesn't like slow speeds.
Watch the landing, he is pulling up, but the plane doesn't respond that much. It puts nose high, and that was it
Keep in mind this is not some lightweight foamy, but a very high-performance composite jet model of a modern fighter.

The landing did appear to be rushed, but if you listen to the video it sounds like there were at least 3 guys trying to get down on the ground at about the same time... Brent did a nice job on that landing.

It appeared to touchdown around 30-35mph with a pretty steep descent rate.
30mph is about par-for-the-course on jets w/ small wings like this. From my perspective, Brent performed a textbook expedited landing: Come in fast, steep, land as short as possible, and tap the heck out of the AoA just before touchdown to arrest the descent rate and bleed off airspeed.

Just my observation.

Vic
AceMigKiller is offline Find More Posts by AceMigKiller
Old Feb 07, 2012, 12:32 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
22,088 Posts
thanks guys! its a smooth flying rock solid flyer. its got scale wings and weighs 9 lbs....it lands a little hot....id say its the next step after a habu. flies like a larger edf...smooth. its a scale jet and has to be flown like one i really like this model alot. looks great in the air and really moves on only 2600 w....
corsair nut is online now Find More Posts by corsair nut
Old Feb 07, 2012, 12:54 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
22,088 Posts
ill admit that was one of my less than perfect landings, but it was rushed as i was running out of flight time, and there was about 6 other planes up....pretty insane, so i had to make a rushed landing when the opening came. im still stoked at the performance for a 8s 90mm setup. 5 min flight times, and great speed and vertical. its not unlimited, but pretty dang good all things considering. once you get the model up to cruising speed, it only takes 1/2 power to stay at a decent clip. turn too tight, and you have to get back into the power. landing is more like landing a delta, or a real jet. nose high, power on. doesnt glide well once the speed is low, so you have to maintain with power just like the big boys.
its not a perfectly scale model, but it looks great still, and flys wonderful. hopefully HET and EJF will have this puppy sooner than later so the rest of you can enjoy the jet the airforce should have bought many years ago
corsair nut is online now Find More Posts by corsair nut
Old Feb 07, 2012, 01:18 PM
Tucson, Arizona, USA
Joined Dec 1999
1,552 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair nut View Post
ill admit that was one of my less than perfect landings, but it was rushed as i was running out of flight time, and there was about 6 other planes up....pretty insane, so i had to make a rushed landing when the opening came. im still stoked at the performance for a 8s 90mm setup. 5 min flight times, and great speed and vertical. its not unlimited, but pretty dang good all things considering. once you get the model up to cruising speed, it only takes 1/2 power to stay at a decent clip. turn too tight, and you have to get back into the power. landing is more like landing a delta, or a real jet. nose high, power on. doesnt glide well once the speed is low, so you have to maintain with power just like the big boys.
its not a perfectly scale model, but it looks great still, and flys wonderful. hopefully HET and EJF will have this puppy sooner than later so the rest of you can enjoy the jet the airforce should have bought many years ago
Very nice Brent. yes, it's in the queue for sure. just getting those Sniper XL 90's on there way.

--RW
Robert Wagoner is offline Find More Posts by Robert Wagoner
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 07, 2012, 01:20 PM
New Jersey
Joined Feb 2003
8,004 Posts
How big is it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair nut View Post
thanks guys! its a smooth flying rock solid flyer. its got scale wings and weighs 9 lbs....it lands a little hot....id say its the next step after a habu. flies like a larger edf...smooth. its a scale jet and has to be flown like one i really like this model alot. looks great in the air and really moves on only 2600 w....
Tumbler is offline Find More Posts by Tumbler
Old Feb 07, 2012, 02:10 PM
Lincolnshire, UK
Joined Oct 2009
522 Posts
Now that's a nice jet! If only my field had a runway...
Si Goodchild is offline Find More Posts by Si Goodchild