HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 28, 2010, 10:18 AM
Joined May 2010
10 Posts
Discussion
"Micro" Stryker stalling in turns

Hey guys,

I'm a Stryker nut and decided to build a mini/micro Stryker to toss around in areas where landings were tight. Its 3 pieces of 6mm depron CA glued together and then sanded to have somewhat of an airfoil and a nice little nose (its covered in Gorilla tape to strengthen it up on the nose plants during testing). I have finally found the COG, but my biggest problem is stalling in hard banked turns. I can throttle up to avoid that, but I'd like it to respond similar to a true Stryker. Not only that, I would like it to be stable at all times:

As you can see, I made the elevons huge in the testing phase to compensate while I was locating the COG. The roll rate is extremely high right now, even with the aileron travel set very small. I'm assuming its from the over sized elevons.

Power setup is a 1300mah 3S, ICE50 lite, Micro Dan 2990 kv motor. Yeah, on the straight away she's pushing 70 or 80mph for sure. Its ridiculous, but super fun!

Any help would be appreciated.
gabe_tuft is offline Find More Posts by gabe_tuft
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 28, 2010, 02:51 PM
"Unnecessary Necessity"
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Sep 2006
5,759 Posts
Elevon that big on an airfoiled wing will destroy lift even with very small deflection, act more like spoiler than control surface.
coriolan is offline Find More Posts by coriolan
Old Sep 28, 2010, 09:07 PM
United States, CA, Lemoore
Joined Nov 2008
475 Posts
That airfoil looks extremely thick, especially at the wingtips. The air doesn't have a chance to stay attached to the airfoil I'd guess. Which is what a stall is. Build it like a Stryker and I bet you it'll fly like one! 70-80mph is amazing. What power system are you using?
Svede is online now Find More Posts by Svede
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Fixed wing Phobotic CP Test
Old Sep 28, 2010, 09:19 PM
Moderador.
guadalajara, jalisco, mexico
Joined Sep 2002
9,239 Posts
Try with less elevon area.
Alfredo Rubio is online now Find More Posts by Alfredo Rubio
Old Sep 29, 2010, 05:09 AM
Ursel, Belgium, Europe
Joined Jul 2001
181 Posts
The whole area in between the rudders, and even a bit outside it due to the servo placement, provides no lift; only turbulence.

Furthermore; less elevon area indeed, better airfoil, less weight, better streamlining, ...

All that aside, it's a cool plane.

Dirk.
swami is offline Find More Posts by swami