HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 07, 2012, 03:14 AM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
1,659 Posts
The thing about high kV motors like the AXN 2208 2150kV is that they have very thin rotor wires - just look. If you put a lot of current into them without a lot of cooling - as in flight - they will burn out.
richard9999 is offline Find More Posts by richard9999
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 07, 2012, 06:49 AM
SpliceMILK, BeverlyHills,CA
Joined Feb 2011
1,205 Posts
I just got the Mega 16/15/4 (2200kv) Its going to be loud.

No thin rotor wires here.....

I'm using APCe 6x4 prop,
ESC 30amp, and
3s-2700mah Flight Lipo.

Hope the neighbors dont complain
LexusFPV is offline Find More Posts by LexusFPV
Old Sep 07, 2012, 09:15 AM
Joined May 2010
1,746 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLT_GTI View Post
roovexer in his video about the wingtips mod says he uses stock motor and 4S battery.. seems to work fine and he says he only swaped the ESC for a Turnigy 30A
4s ruined my motor which is a month or so old in 5 seconds...i use a 60 amp esc in my axn...i will replace motor and stick to 3 s...this other guy must have a different motor...
hate2crash is offline Find More Posts by hate2crash
Old Sep 07, 2012, 09:41 AM
Just thumbing through...
United States, SC, Simpsonville
Joined Feb 2009
4,349 Posts
It also depends on the prop pitch. 4s might be ok with a 5x3 prop.
victapilot is offline Find More Posts by victapilot
Old Sep 07, 2012, 12:56 PM
South Africa, EC, East London
Joined Aug 2012
23 Posts
So, my Jet arrives tomorrow!!!

Any last minute assembly tips and tricks.

I have watched a of Bruces assembly vids.
jughead_dave is offline Find More Posts by jughead_dave
Old Sep 07, 2012, 07:04 PM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
1,659 Posts
I don't think you can do much better than follow Bruce. I glued my wings to the main spar and in place and haven't regretted it. Make sure it fits in your car with the wings in place first of course! I used the TGS 6x4 prop from the outset.

The other things I did slightly differently to Bruce was to cover the bottom of the plane with white covering film, which has worked well, and to attach the hatch with this HK canopy lock rather than a rubber band. I also covered the bottom of the wings with clear tape and put red flashes of covering film on the outside tips of the lower wings to improve visibility.
Old Sep 08, 2012, 02:42 AM
South Africa, EC, East London
Joined Aug 2012
23 Posts
Next time I order from HK I will have to get some of those.

I plane to add a extra magnet, or perhaps some velcro to the canopy.
I will be useing 3s 20c 2200 lipos.
jughead_dave is offline Find More Posts by jughead_dave
Old Sep 08, 2012, 02:51 AM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
1,659 Posts
I would use a rubber band until you get the canopy locks.
Old Sep 08, 2012, 09:09 AM
RC Airplane (Recently Crashed)
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Jan 2011
2,797 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jughead_dave View Post
So, my Jet arrives tomorrow!!!

Any last minute assembly tips and tricks.

I have watched a of Bruces assembly vids.
Don't put the tail plane on when he does! put your wings in first so you can properly check that the horiz. stab and fin line up with wings and are 90deg to each other.

i.e. do the wings first because I have had a couple of AXN kits where the stab is not horizontal with the wing without a little adjustment!!
mutha is online now Find More Posts by mutha
Old Sep 08, 2012, 11:40 AM
An Aussie in Chicago
Joined Apr 2012
1,256 Posts
I finally got the modified AXN flying & trimmed up with the new motor NTM HK 2200 motor & 6x5 prop. Pulling around 43 amps static.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=21481

It sounds great, fly's like a rocket, today was extremely windy and it flew like it didn't care. It can do unlimited vertical climb.

Make sure you paint the plane with different colors on top and bottom as it disappears very quickly.

Total success. Might need to strength the engine pylon as it is compressing under full acceleration it seems.

Disclaimer, the wings, air-frame, tail, elevators, fin, horizontal stabilizer, ailerons have all been strengthened with carbon rod and the plane laminated with "New Stuff" to handle the additional load.

With the movable services on 100% the AXN is fully aerobatic, turns on a dim. Next change will be to trim the wings for a totally flat wing.
hendrnk is offline Find More Posts by hendrnk
Old Sep 08, 2012, 02:48 PM
Oviedo
Joined Jun 2010
2,258 Posts
R.I.P Clouds Fly ... april 2010 - september 2012

I took to the field today to do some testing about its new habit of rolling under power.. i trimmed out the tips of the elevator as they were smashed and i saw that the right side was bend upwards even after correcting wich could explain why it rolled under power (air stream from motor hitting it and doing aileron effect)..

plane now seemed to fly better.. under power was fine but when turning motor off it began rolling slighty to one side ... still i couldnt do much testing.. at altitude suddenly ailerons stoped responding to then re-start working jerky all the sudden.. weird things began to happen and then seemed to be just fine.. im an idiot so i keep flying it and then i did a dive to bring it down and that was it.. elevator stoped responding when trying to pull out of the dive ..it just hit the ground straight down again..

And as before now nose is totally smashed in pieces..

I think is time to stop and let the old girl rest in peace .. since that day months ago where it mysteriously lost control 100m high and spiraled down to the ground it never flew straight again.. it has crashed time after time since that day... doesnt want to fly straight .. strange tipstalling tendencies.. the elvator responds jerky as the pushrods inside are loose... you name it nose has been reconstructed more times than i can renember and its more glue than foam now.. its a cheap foamie after all and it just cant be reconstructed time after time forever ..

Dont know what i will do with it now.. i really liked this plane and its quite relaxing to fly , easy and stable to do aerial video.. dont know if getting another, or getting something similar but more apropiate (a Bixler, an EZ2, an Electro Rookie).. or just use in its place the HawkFighter with the wingtips attached (wich after all is the same plane) or even buy a new CF
JLT_GTI is offline Find More Posts by JLT_GTI
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: CL-415 GuanLi
Old Sep 08, 2012, 06:53 PM
SpliceMILK, BeverlyHills,CA
Joined Feb 2011
1,205 Posts
JLT_GTI

sorry about your loss,.... but in a positive light, a brand new AXN is only $40.00.
LexusFPV is offline Find More Posts by LexusFPV
Old Sep 08, 2012, 09:06 PM
Oviedo
Joined Jun 2010
2,258 Posts
Plus 30$ more for shipping.....

For one side im tempted to just buy another... on the other im tempted to just use the HawkFighter... and on the other im tempted to try something new (The Elektro Rookie for example has that interesting T-Tail and straight dihedrals).. unfortunatelly im short in storage space ... otherwise i would get both
JLT_GTI is offline Find More Posts by JLT_GTI
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by JLT_GTI; Sep 08, 2012 at 09:16 PM.
Old Sep 08, 2012, 09:52 PM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Quote:

For one side im tempted to just buy another... on the other im tempted to just use the HawkFighter... and on the other im tempted to try something new (The Elektro Rookie for example has that interesting T-Tail and straight dihedrals).. unfortunatelly im short in storage space ... otherwise i would get both
Get THIS! You can use all the parts from your AXN and you are flying again with a better airplane. The popularity of this plane is awesome. HERE is the thread. Enjoy.
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Old Sep 09, 2012, 12:05 AM
Aus
ʎןɟ inverted ɹǝpunuʍop
Australia, ACT, Amaroo
Joined Jul 2011
1,091 Posts
Quote:

Oviedo - Spain right? Is it really $30 from the DE Warehouse?

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html

What does it matter you know you want to replace it - and maybe get another aircraft at the same time .
Aus is online now Find More Posts by Aus
RCG Plus Member