HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 17, 2006, 06:05 PM
Keep building, buying,fly
Suffolk, In the UK
Joined May 2004
2,608 Posts
Discussion
Kyosho 40 Size Spitfire - A beauty

I have got around 39 planes and about 6 largish glow planes but have not got a glow spit which for an English chap is a poor show. I therefore bought this and I have to say I am very impressed. Will do a little build thread here for those that are interested

www.densplanes.co.uk
Bigplumbs is offline Find More Posts by Bigplumbs
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 17, 2006, 06:17 PM
Joined Jan 2005
702 Posts
Looks good. I would rather have a Hawker Hurricane. But love the color schemes of the WW-II British fighters. What airfoil? Symetrical or semi-symetrical? Inverted engine mounting?
JackHiner is offline Find More Posts by JackHiner
Old Mar 17, 2006, 07:25 PM
Central Arkansas
Joined Jan 2006
328 Posts
I'll be following your build. I just received the Kyosho P-40 and am quite impressed with it. The 109 is next, if released in the States. If not, it'll be the Spit.
stallwart is offline Find More Posts by stallwart
Old Mar 18, 2006, 02:01 AM
Suffolk, In the UK
Joined May 2004
2,608 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackHiner
Looks good. I would rather have a Hawker Hurricane. But love the color schemes of the WW-II British fighters. What airfoil? Symetrical or semi-symetrical? Inverted engine mounting?
Airfoil looks semi-symetrical and yes I am afraid it is an inverted engine mount. I have just taken delivery of a lovely OS 46 AX to go in her should go like a rocket

www.densplanes.co.uk
Last edited by Bigplumbs; Mar 18, 2006 at 03:48 PM.
Old Mar 21, 2006, 03:05 AM
Finland
Joined Nov 2004
573 Posts
What covering is that? ...Not the same sticky stuff as the Calmato I hope??
Test005 is offline Find More Posts by Test005
Old Mar 21, 2006, 06:05 AM
FZS
eFred
Punta Gorda, FL USA
Joined Mar 2004
52 Posts
First flight

Had first flight on my Kyosho Spitfire yesterday. Its a relatively easy to fly warbird, especially considering its size. The color scheme is hard to see in the air. Its a knock-out beauty on the flight station table.

The build was a bit fussy as the quality of the kit was poor. The pushrods for rudder/evevator were replaced with Sulllivan CF as not sufficient room for supplied doweled system. Wing fit on Fuselage saddle very poor. The Horizontal Stabilizer was sanded off-center before it was covered, not easily fixed. Spinner not supplied. In general, I was dissapointed with kit quality considering the price ($150.USD).

I powered it with Saito 56 and its perfect sound/power.
FZS is offline Find More Posts by FZS
Old Mar 21, 2006, 06:11 AM
Finland
Joined Nov 2004
573 Posts
It sure is a nice looking sport-scale plane... I like it!
Can you comment the covering material?
Test005 is offline Find More Posts by Test005
Old Mar 21, 2006, 11:32 AM
Suffolk, In the UK
Joined May 2004
2,608 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Test005
It sure is a nice looking sport-scale plane... I like it!
Can you comment the covering material?
The covering is nice I think it is ultracote or somthing similar.

www.densplanes.co.uk
Old Mar 21, 2006, 11:33 AM
Suffolk, In the UK
Joined May 2004
2,608 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FZS
Had first flight on my Kyosho Spitfire yesterday. Its a relatively easy to fly warbird, especially considering its size. The color scheme is hard to see in the air. Its a knock-out beauty on the flight station table.

The build was a bit fussy as the quality of the kit was poor. The pushrods for rudder/evevator were replaced with Sulllivan CF as not sufficient room for supplied doweled system. Wing fit on Fuselage saddle very poor. The Horizontal Stabilizer was sanded off-center before it was covered, not easily fixed. Spinner not supplied. In general, I was dissapointed with kit quality considering the price ($150.USD).

I powered it with Saito 56 and its perfect sound/power.
FZS

Is yours the old one or the new one brought out by Kyosho. I ask because I am very pleased with mine and I know the old one had some bad reviews

www.densplanes.co.uk
Last edited by Bigplumbs; Mar 21, 2006 at 01:01 PM.
Old Mar 21, 2006, 04:39 PM
Suffolk, In the UK
Joined May 2004
2,608 Posts
I must be getting slow in my old age

Well I just took 2.5 hours to install one wing servo. Not the kits fault I just seemed to be rather slow. I did however cut in and solder a length of servo wire rather than use servo extenders. Cheaper and you can get it the length you want.

I am very impressed with the hardware pack with this plane. Very good adjustable two grub screw adjusters for each aileron.

As ever you will need to enlarge the servo arm slot in the wing piece of ply where you glue the servo fixing balsa to. and you will also probably need to make the hole bigger in the servo arm. Also use the longest servo arms you have.

I was not very impressed with the servo fixing blocks as you had to glue then to the ply on the end grain that was quite course. Not to worry however as I always run a little cyno under the servo itsself.

The supplied wire for the aileron linkage was incredibly hard. I had to cut it with my dremmel grinder. Plyers would not touch it.

Still that will do for tonight no need to hurry weather forcast for the weekend looks lousy and its my wifes Birthday and she wants to go to the Zoo.

Hopefully the other servo tommorrow and then the joy of the retracts......... !
Old Mar 22, 2006, 12:36 PM
College Park, MD
Joined Sep 2002
4,714 Posts
Where do you keep 39 RC airplanes? I have about 5-6 at any one time and my wife says that's way too many. But 39 models, you must have a full scale hangar to store them.

The top camo colors look good. But what was Kyosho thinking when they chose that bright blue color for the bottom?

I've always likes Kyosho models. But Kyosho had a major falling out with the US distributor and you can't find their products anywhere now. They supposedly have a dealer network but I've been to all the supposed dealers in my area and they don't stock Kyosho products at all. It would be nice to see them om the shelves again. I'd get their P-40 if it were available around here (or online) Anyone know of a US online dealer for Kyosho?
thunder1 is online now Find More Posts by thunder1
Old Mar 22, 2006, 02:22 PM
Suffolk, In the UK
Joined May 2004
2,608 Posts
Plane Storage

I have a sort of hanger I suppose. and a large trailer to carry them in. See below. When I hit 50 I might just stop .......... (Not)

I would point out that my 'Hanger is an outbuilding not my frontroom' ! Even my wife wouldn't put up with that.

Its a pity you cant get these Kyosho's in the US they are excellent in my opinion and very reasonably priced. The new range have I thing ironed out a lot of the problems that existed with the old range IMHO

www.densplanes.co.uk
Old Mar 22, 2006, 02:25 PM
Suffolk, In the UK
Joined May 2004
2,608 Posts
This evenings work

Got the second wing servo in tonight. Much quicker than last night anout 45 mins. Retracts tommorrow.............. Weather looks very bad for the weekend

www.densplanes.co.uk
Old Mar 22, 2006, 02:47 PM
We were inverted...
Westerville, OH USA
Joined Aug 2005
46 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunder1
Anyone know of a US online dealer for Kyosho?
I just Googled "Kyosho Spitfire" and found this site. I'm not sure where it is located but the amounts are in dollars ($).

http://www.rcplanet.com/kyosho_gp_sp...71629_prd1.htm
timg777 is offline Find More Posts by timg777
Last edited by timg777; Mar 22, 2006 at 02:48 PM. Reason: Forgot the link.
Old Mar 22, 2006, 04:32 PM
Suffolk, In the UK
Joined May 2004
2,608 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by timg777
I just Googled "Kyosho Spitfire" and found this site. I'm not sure where it is located but the amounts are in dollars ($).

http://www.rcplanet.com/kyosho_gp_sp...71629_prd1.htm
Looks like this is where they are........ Looks like the US to me. Looks like you are in luck

RC Planet Inc.
7785 S. Allen Street.
Midvale, Ut 84047