HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 24, 2014, 04:09 PM
United States, CA, La Quinta
Joined Feb 2014
54 Posts
Discussion
Airfield Sonic Piercer owners thread-to discuss trials and tribulations

A thread created to discuss trials and tribulations of the Airfield Sonic Piercer foam EDF sold from nitroplanes.
mitch 1 is offline Find More Posts by mitch 1
Last edited by mitch 1; Feb 24, 2014 at 04:44 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 24, 2014, 04:27 PM
Joined Feb 2014
54 Posts
I bought the Sonic Piercer and noticed the plane seemed a little tail heavy upon setup. I am using a 35C 2200mah battery. I checked the CG by turning the plane upside down and finding the balancing points (crude but seemed to be within the stated CG by manufacturer). On the maiden flight, the plane flew great inverted and upright and tracked well. However, upon landing, the plane started bouncing on the runway (4 times) and the right wing wheel strut broke loose from the wing causing the plane to veer right. This sudden jerk bent the front wheel assembly. I am thinking this is from the front end of the plane being too lite. Has anyone else had any issues like this on the initial setup? I do not want to permanently add any extra weight in the front because I plan to add an aftermarket fan and bigger battery (4s) later which will probably add enough weight over the front wheel. Any thoughts from Piercer owners?
Old Feb 25, 2014, 12:34 PM
Joined Feb 2014
54 Posts
This is my 7th plane in my fleet. I also have and enjoy the umx habu. I have about 500 flights total. I would like to learn more about the sonic piercer from others who have it. It has been out about 6 months but I have only found the reviews from nitroplanes. Would be nice to hear from other owners. The plane flew smoothly for me and performed all the basic maneuvers. Does anyone else own this plane and have they had any issues with it? I just bought a new 9g servo for the steerable nose gear as the el cheapo one that came with it had stripped the gears. I am hoping the servo horn will fit one the new servo as it looks rather unique. Can anyone else please post anything they have to say about the Piercer please?
Old Feb 25, 2014, 07:16 PM
United States, SC, Hilton Head Island
Joined Jan 2013
148 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch 1 View Post
A thread created to discuss trials and tribulations of the Airfield Sonic Piercer foam EDF sold from nitroplanes.
Look up the Forum Member FastBlade and speak with him.
bulldog2012 is offline Find More Posts by bulldog2012
Old Mar 02, 2014, 02:57 PM
Joined Oct 2013
206 Posts
Here is a screen shot of the stock motor and housing using stock 6b and freewing 5b in stock housing on 4s.. Disregard the average and read the max... Expect about a 10% drop after a few seconds... so you can run the stock esc only with the 5b.... the thrust was impressive with the 6blade... but the 5blade should have top speed... I'll doople it this summer... Did pull some impressive numbers since it's only a 2830-3850kv motor... So you can get an esc for $20 or get the 5blade for $2.95... heat wise you should be good to go either way.....

P.S. the battery was only 85% charged on the 6blade... so numbers would actually be higher on a full charge...

http://www.nitroplanes.com/60p-dye-1015-60a-esc.html
http://www.nitroplanes.com/53p-20015.html

fastblade is offline Find More Posts by fastblade
Last edited by fastblade; Mar 02, 2014 at 03:58 PM.
Old Mar 08, 2014, 03:54 PM
Joined Feb 2014
54 Posts
Crunch!

Tried to hand launch at 45 degree angle into wind. Just did not have enough thrust to go. New 35C glacier battery. Tried hand launching because of issues with steering servo and steering mechanism (cheap). Will fix and have ordered new steering servo and replacement servo mechanism. Will definitely NOT try to hand launch again with stock propulsion system.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 12:34 AM
Joined Feb 2014
54 Posts
Nice plane!

This plane hand launches and flies great on 4s 2200 with stock motor and fan. Manufacturer says 3s 2200 but I did about 20 flights with the 4s 2200. Did have to use a 60 amp esc instead of 40 amp stock. Also, unsure how long before motor failure since higher rpms than recommended. I put in a 4300kv motor with 5 blade wemotec fan. Could not get to fly well so could not compare aftermarket combo with stock combo. Had too many ground mishaps not related to flying!!!!!! Had a few crashes with trying to land using landing gear as front gear very cheaply made. Definitely recommend belly landing. Nose gear is very cheap. Also had a few crashes with trying to use a jetapult. That is a story in and of itself. Stopped using jetapult for now. Bottom line, I definitely recommend this plane. Just remove the landing gear. Don't even try to use. Forget about trying to hand launch on 3s. You WILL crash. Go with a 4s 2200 30C good quality battery. Plenty of thrust to hand launch by self. Just don't know when the motor will give out. Will need a 60 amp esc for 4s. This does seem to be cheaply made as evidenced by the 110$ price . from nitro planes.
Old May 04, 2014, 12:29 PM
Joined Oct 2013
206 Posts
When he said cheaply made.. he means the ESC... The plane itself is awesome!... just refixed mine after crash #31!!!! (mostly from bad hand launches from my buddy's) the pictures above is so easy to fix.... Foam-tac, hot glue and a hair dryer.... follow up with some coffee filters and Polycrylic and still going!!! I put a HK 4000kv in it and is a very nice plane to fly with... this plane is fast with whatever you put in it.... I have the EDFhobbies 4300kv motor and it's very strong.. I just tested it in another new sonic I just built (love this plane) with a Hyperion 45c 5s 2200mah and WOW... I tested it with using a castle 100amp Edge ESC ... I used a 2.0kg scale up against the wall while on it's landing gear..... Hoping it does over 150mph... I got 1.69kg max/ 1.6kg thrust consistently thru the test... see attached... talk about a sick set-up!!!! EDFhobbies rules!!!!

101.3 amps max
1799 watts max
61869 rpm max
Fly weight 1.0kg

can't wait to fly it!
fastblade is offline Find More Posts by fastblade
Last edited by fastblade; May 04, 2014 at 01:21 PM.
Old May 04, 2014, 03:00 PM
United States, NY, New York
Joined Oct 2010
1,630 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastblade View Post
When he said cheaply made.. he means the ESC... The plane itself is awesome!... just refixed mine after crash #31!!!! (mostly from bad hand launches from my buddy's) the pictures above is so easy to fix.... Foam-tac, hot glue and a hair dryer.... follow up with some coffee filters and Polycrylic and still going!!! I put a HK 4000kv in it and is a very nice plane to fly with... this plane is fast with whatever you put in it.... I have the EDFhobbies 4300kv motor and it's very strong.. I just tested it in another new sonic I just built (love this plane) with a Hyperion 45c 5s 2200mah and WOW... I tested it with using a castle 100amp Edge ESC ... I used a 2.0kg scale up against the wall while on it's landing gear..... Hoping it does over 150mph... I got 1.69kg max/ 1.6kg thrust consistently thru the test... see attached... talk about a sick set-up!!!! EDFhobbies rules!!!!

101.3 amps max
1799 watts max
61869 rpm max
Fly weight 1.0kg

can't wait to fly it!
those are some sweet static numbers for a 64mm edf unit,the plane should be able to get some sweet speed with that set up good luck post a video if you get a chance qwould love to see this thing go
THESANDMAN is offline Find More Posts by THESANDMAN
Old May 04, 2014, 09:46 PM
Joined Feb 2014
54 Posts
More explanation

To clarify.....the sonic flies great. It's just that when I look at the quality like how the elevators attach to fuselage or the extra fasteners used to secure ailerons and elevators to the wings....the quality just seems better in my other freewing planes. I have the freewing F22 raptor now with the same 4300EDF hobbies setup and a 100 amp ESC. Waiting for my 5s Hyperion battery for speed trials. Just my personal opinion but after assembling the airfield sonic, the freewing F22, and the freewing stinger 64....the quality of the sonic build just doesn't seem as good compared with the 2 freewing products. It's just the little extras like the reinforced strength of the ailerons n elevators mostly. I certainly think a side by side comparison of the sonic and the freewing stinger in flight would be very interesting. The sonic comes at 110$. The stinger was 120$ and the f22 was 120$. All of them need extra $$ initially to fly a little better. The freewings have available upgrades for a little extra $ to fly immediately on 4s.
Last edited by mitch 1; May 04, 2014 at 10:07 PM.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 02:12 AM
Joined Jul 2014
1 Posts
Can i use a 2200 mah 25 c 11.1 v lipo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch 1 View Post
Can i use a 2200 mah 25 c 11.1 v lipo for the sonic piercer . Please let me know
rishabh barma is offline Find More Posts by rishabh barma
Old Jul 30, 2014, 04:33 PM
Joined Feb 2014
54 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rishabh barma View Post
Can i use a 2200 mah 25 c 11.1 v lipo for the sonic piercer . Please let me know
You can but you need a paved runway with a lot of room. The aircraft will accelerate slowly. Also, do NOT try to hand launch with an 11.1v battery. That is too weak of a battery and you will crash on takeoff. The landing gear breaks easily so you have to be good at landing on a runway. Hope this helps.