Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Mar 06, 2014, 03:02 PM
United States, SC, Liberty
Joined Dec 2013
320 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highride View Post
Hey Brynmr,

I fly Hitec equipment but I've seen that behavior on Spektrum and Futaba systems as well. I think re-binding will take care of that. I believe most systems have a minimum distance you should have between TX and RX during binding.

Dave
Didn't work. I haven't charged the battery yet - just running on how it was when delivered - so that may be the problem.
Brynmr is online now Find More Posts by Brynmr
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 06, 2014, 03:53 PM
Michigan's Upper Peninsula
Joined Sep 2007
698 Posts
Yes. I always charge new batteries when I get them. Eventhough they might reflect a charge that appears okay to you, some can be damaged by running them without charging first. A lesson I learned along the way...won't explain how I came about that knowledge <grin>. I think an unnamed modeler.

Dave
Highride is offline Find More Posts by Highride
Old Mar 06, 2014, 03:53 PM
AustinTatious
Hurst, Texas, United States
Joined Jul 2003
1,945 Posts
hehe, cool thread... here is a really old video of some dS with an arthobby boar.... It needed a stiffer boom. The boom was flexing at speed and I was running out of elevator. It had lead in the wingtips to reduce midwing stress.

Parker Mt. DS'ing.. Austin DS'ing an Art Hobby BOAR thats modded (1 min 50 sec)
AustinTatious is offline Find More Posts by AustinTatious
Old Mar 06, 2014, 04:54 PM
United States, TX, Killeen
Joined Jun 2007
132 Posts
Solaris

Capt Gary....I just finished my Solaris 3.1. I will be test flying it Sat. if the wind
holds up. It came in just over 3 lbs. AUW.
propicts is offline Find More Posts by propicts
Old Mar 06, 2014, 05:50 PM
Joined Dec 2013
320 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highride View Post
Yes. I always charge new batteries when I get them. Eventhough they might reflect a charge that appears okay to you, some can be damaged by running them without charging first. A lesson I learned along the way...won't explain how I came about that knowledge <grin>. I think an unnamed modeler.

Dave
That's the school of Hard Knocks. I'm currently enrolled full time. Accidentally CAed my servo cable to the fuse floor. D'Oh!

Btw can you suggest a charger for my 4.8 V 750 mAh NiMH Art Hobby battery? I was looking at a Smart Charger but noticed it's no good for batteries below 1000 mAh. Hard to find unless willing to spend extra $.
Old Mar 06, 2014, 06:20 PM
Michigan's Upper Peninsula
Joined Sep 2007
698 Posts
Tom,

I had looked at several chargers. Guys in our club have been happy with their Turnigy chargers and a couple others from Hobby King. My impression was that the quality seemed to be good and the price was also good with plenty of features.

I'm not an obsessively brand loyalty kind of guy but I do stick with what suppliers/manufacturers give me good service. When I got into e-gliders, I started with a Multiplex charger (I think 5014 was the model). Gave me about eight years excellent service before it gave up its ghost. I now have a Hitec X1 Touch AC/DC charger. Easy to use with lots of features but it is single port. Does all the batteries normally used in our hobby. Think I paid $99 for it so not inexpensive.

You may want to talk to some RCers in your neighborhood and see what they use and what their experiences have been. Also, if you have a local hobby shop, stop in and see what they carry. I recall seeing a couple of reasonably priced units in two shops I was in. Advantage to that is being able to put your hands on it and take a look through the operator's manual.

Good grief...that was long-winded! Laughing. Might be some useable thought in there.

Dave
Highride is offline Find More Posts by Highride
Old Mar 06, 2014, 06:44 PM
Joined Dec 2013
320 Posts
Dave, I'll have a look at the Turnigy chargers, thanks. My problem though is I read the specs and still don't know what to think. I'll email a couple of sellers and see what they think.
Old Mar 06, 2014, 06:53 PM
Joined Dec 2013
320 Posts
Austin, that looked like fun. What a place to fly! I'm often impressed by the locations you guys fly at. I'm moving to the mountains in May. Can't wait!
Old Mar 07, 2014, 03:03 AM
Joined Feb 2013
16 Posts
Some pictures

So, here are finally some nice pictures of my Evolution EV:

From top:

From below, showing the ultrabright positioning lamp (better than any painting, clearly visible even at sunny daylight conditions at 200m altitude )

My selfmade linkage cover made of 0.4mm plywood and carbon:

This plane is a super versatile half hotliner half thermal soaring plane! With slightly negative ailerons and neutral flaps it becomes surprisingly fast!!
With positive ailerons and flaps it becomes a true "thermal lift sniffer".
The german word would be "Thermikschnüffler".

Best regards,

Dirk
Lightmare is offline Find More Posts by Lightmare
Old Mar 07, 2014, 04:07 AM
Hamburg, GER
Joined Sep 2009
208 Posts
Help!

I joined the center wing panels of my Orion-C and while the epoxy cured I must have done a mistake with the dihedral. When I assemble the wings it's now only about 6,5 cm which seems a bit low for thermal flight. It will fly more sporty on the slope but I wanted to fly thermal duration as well.

Shall I ignore it for the time being or rejoin whichs seems to be a rather complicated operation?

Some more pics of the building process...
Jenne is offline Find More Posts by Jenne
Old Mar 07, 2014, 08:23 AM
Joined Nov 2010
233 Posts
Evo Update

Dirk…Very, very nice Evo. Thanks for the “heads up” and mention of DriveCalc 3.4 and PropCalc software back in post 151 … noticeable improvement over eCalc. I’ve only managed to get four test flights on the new power train in the Evolution-EV 2.5 and still no telemetry equipment, except for the numbers I’ve pulled off the Jeti Spin Box from the ESC, a Jeti Spin Pro 80. Preliminary ESC numbers are pretty spot on per your recommendation. Did go with the Hyperion GS3020-8, 1125Kv motor and turning a RFM 12.5 x 8 Graphite, that I had, it’s averaged out to 797W on the Spin Box with a fully charged G8 Thunder Power 3S. Have both a 12 x 8 and 9 Graphite on order and will post results once I get some data.
Admittedly it’s still serious overkill and far from efficient but big fun and probably the most versatile plane I fly. Still quite “warm” at full throttle but now perfectly controllable and yet it will slow down and float quite acceptably even with the MH32/30 airfoil
Capt. Gary is offline Find More Posts by Capt. Gary
Old Mar 07, 2014, 10:11 AM
Joined Nov 2010
233 Posts
Sorry missed stuff

Propicts…Thank's!...Would sure welcome any data, pic’s and impressions on the Solairs once you’ve got it wrung out. Also your set-up would be of help…Thank’s!
Brymr…Don’t know you budget? But the Hobbico Accu-Cycle it’s still one of the best chargers for NiMH and NiCads out there there’s even forum threads on them. Still my go to except for Lipo’s where I can justify running power servers to power a Cell Pro 8 power-porker.
Jenne…I’d sure go fly it “as is” before cutting back into it...5cm off right?
Dirk…Got a link to or any info. on the wing light/lamp? We tried one, zenon bulb, on a Alpina we were using, a working bird, results were less than stellar. Also, just an Evo. observation, one thing I’ve noticed in light air lift, a rarity here with Pelican capable lift, is that hunting for thermals, due to the Evo’s inherent speed, I tend to fly through it first pass unless I’m really paying attention to the "tells"
Thank's all! or that's Thank's Y'all from the SC LowCountry!
Old Mar 07, 2014, 03:25 PM
Joined Dec 2013
320 Posts
Capt Gary: I was just about to order the Turnigy Accucel-6 after spending HOURS and HOURS pouring over chargers, connectors, reviews and specs, when I stumbled upon a not so advertized fact. YOU NEED A 12 V POWER SOURCE TO POWER THE CHARGER! ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME!? DOES IT REALLY NEED TO BE THIS COMPLICATED! On top of it all is the college course one needs to take to learn what all the terms mean and how to use the device without burning down the house! Call me crazy but this charger stuff sucks and I don't mean just 'sucks' - I mean SUCKS!! There really HAS to be a better (translate this to SIMPLER) way. I'm surprised this sport draws ANY new people to it with these hideous complications! Sorry for the rant, but I'm a weeee bit frustrated.

Ok, I emailed Tenergy with laser-like queries about their TB6-B Balance Charger. I THINK it comes with a power supply and appropriate connectors…. but one never knows…..
Old Mar 07, 2014, 03:50 PM
Joined Nov 2010
233 Posts
T'aint Easy

Brynmr...Hear ya!...Some aspects of the "sport" tend to come with more than a "Bit of a steep learning curve" the almost black art's of battery charging being one of them. That's why I mentioned the Hobbico. Think they are now about $140.00 bucks but you can plug the sucker into the wall and charge almost any battery safely. Sure there are others, Hyperion had/has? a couple that do not need a separate dedicated power supply, someone will come up with a few more...hang in there it will all be worth it once ya get airborne!
Old Mar 07, 2014, 04:21 PM
Joined Dec 2013
320 Posts
Thanks Gary but 140 is too high for me. I'm ordering the Tenergy TB6-B unless I hear cries of protest LOL.