HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 19, 2013, 12:44 PM
oshawa ont canada
Joined Feb 2010
29 Posts
Discussion
Dynamite .15 marine cooling head leaking

I have a brand new Proboat Formula Fastech nitro I bought 3 years ago.i finally got in the water last week (collet issues),as im on an extended vacation and the weather is cooperating.anyways,the first night,ran 3 tanks through it,worked very well,but each time I brought it in to refill the tank,i noticed water in the hull.after the first tank,i discovered the engine outlet line had a crack in it at the fitting.i repaired it,and ran it a second time.brought it back in,more water in the hull.checked all the lines,o-rings in the head,everything looked fine.third run,ran for approx. 5 minutes,then died.after recovering the boat,found a huge amount of water this time in the hull.i figured that's what stalled it.next day,re checked everything again,used a can of compressed air through the outlet on the side of the boat,found it leaked around the cooling head.removed it and checked all of the O-rings again.they were all where they were supposed to be,and they looked fine.took it out again,ran for approx. 3 mins,died,excess water in the hull again.im stumped.i don't want to run it again,as the engine has been exposed to water twice already.(I used wd40 and after run oil,used the starter to flush excess water out).anyone have any ideas why it would still be leaking with all the O-rings in proper places,not broken either.i have another Dynamite .15 marine engine and I was thinking of swapping heads to see if that will make a difference.sorry for the long post,but im frustrated,as i'd like to get some running time on this boat while we experience some decent weather before fall arrives.any help would be appreciated.thanks.
bigcam406 is offline Find More Posts by bigcam406
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 20, 2013, 02:34 AM
Helsingborg, Sweden
Joined Jul 2005
258 Posts
I would continue with the air until the cause of the leak is found and fixed. First off change the heads over and see if it makes any difference.
w3bby is offline Find More Posts by w3bby
Old Aug 20, 2013, 08:36 AM
oshawa ont canada
Joined Feb 2010
29 Posts
thanks for the reply.im going to change the heads today and use the compressed air again.the other motor I have didn't leak like this one,so hopefully the head is the cause.cant find anything else that would cause it.
Old Aug 20, 2013, 06:09 PM
Joined Dec 2012
25 Posts
Air is good but water is better - in this instance especially.

Contrive some plumbing adapter so water can be supplied to the entire cooling
system from a garden hose.

ZipKits sells one:

http://zippkits.com/~zippkits/index....roducts_id=413

Be sure to use a pressure reducer (local hardware item or RV store) and just a
small steady flow should do the trick.
highndry is offline Find More Posts by highndry
Old Aug 20, 2013, 06:30 PM
oshawa ont canada
Joined Feb 2010
29 Posts
I replaced the head with another from my spare Dynamite.15,ran some compressed air through the inlet hose off the rudder.no more leak.must of been the large o-ring around the cylinder head that was the culprit.thanks for everyones help.
Old Aug 29, 2013, 07:01 AM
oshawa ont canada
Joined Feb 2010
29 Posts
took my fastech out last night for the first time since replacing the head.ran flawlessly,water was exiting the outlet at the side of the boat like its supposed to.still getting water in the hull,though not as much.probably from the stuffing tube.was going to post a vid but unfortunately when recording last night,it was too dark when I got it running.went through 2 starter batteries before it fired up.it has been very hot and humid up here all week,last night was low 90's with the humidex and humidity was 90%.any tips on tuning for weather like this,as its going to be this way through the Labour Day weekend,and into next week.thanks
Last edited by bigcam406; Aug 29, 2013 at 09:19 AM.