HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 01, 2013, 08:33 AM
SCALE Sailor
United States, MD, Severna Park
Joined Apr 2008
1,552 Posts
My last word on this, before I'm required to remove it....
I don't dislike your models Brooks. I dislike your raving about them as if they were some sort of cutting edge scientific break-through.and telling people looking for guidance in this forum not to bother with details or worry about appearances.

Maybe I could have been more tactful, but frankly, the past year+ has been absolute $#!+ and shows no signs of improvement. I simple don't have the patience any more for the Sesame Street approach. If that gets me and everything I've posted booted into the ether, c'est la vie.
JerryTodd is offline Find More Posts by JerryTodd
to remove ads between posts
Old May 01, 2013, 09:30 AM
Joined Oct 2006
813 Posts
i probably don't have much clout with the Man upstairs, but i sure hope and pray that things go better for you jerry....you've given so much........
yancovitch is online now Find More Posts by yancovitch
Old May 01, 2013, 05:27 PM
Square-rigger
Klatovy, Czech Republic
Joined Mar 2004
3,338 Posts
Jerry, in defense of brookeses "raving" about his cutting edge scientific break throughs, i have to say that they at least sail.
What he is mostly promoting is for starters to keep it simple and sailable and to detail later on once you figured out the kinks. Which in turn is an approach that has brought me the enjoyment of sailing model square riggers, which a lot of people loose because even tho they built a beautiful static model its not working on the water.

I think both approaches are needed on this forum to make it the resource it is for a modeler interested in building and sailing something different than 1OMs and RG65s.
There is a place for craftsmen to emulate and for the practical sailboat builder who spends more time on the duck pond than pondering over fine details never to be seen when sailing.
meatbomber is offline Find More Posts by meatbomber
Old May 05, 2013, 10:56 AM
SCALE Sailor
United States, MD, Severna Park
Joined Apr 2008
1,552 Posts
Brooks,

I want to apologize for my tactless remarks in the manner that I made them - publicly. When I get irked at something I normally type and retype a reply several times before my being irked fades away and I don't post the reply at all; I should have stuck to that procedure here.

I offer no excuse, simply an apology for my tone and attitude. I should have approached this as a discussion or debate and not by spewing like a political talk-show twit.
JerryTodd is offline Find More Posts by JerryTodd
Old May 05, 2013, 12:13 PM
United States, MN, Brainerd
Joined Oct 2004
2,373 Posts
I chalk it all up to a much too long winter....
Still ice on the lakes here....
'bomber - you're right - room for all approaches here. Also points out an optimistic look at winter: winter for anal detail focus and summer for sailing! Best of both sides of the hobby....
Cheers all.
DanL is offline Find More Posts by DanL
Old May 05, 2013, 02:10 PM
Damp and Dizzy member
Bozeman, Montana, United States
Joined Aug 2003
3,381 Posts
Jerry, apology accepted. It takes a real man to apologize, you are a real man.

I, too, hope you find a job you like. You have many talents, surely there is an employer out there who will want your skills!
Brooks is offline Find More Posts by Brooks
Old Jul 01, 2013, 08:51 AM
Australia, TAS, Penguin
Joined Mar 2012
465 Posts
@Brooks:

Just discovered this thread, I haven't been on RCGroups for a while..

Thanks for posting this, I am always happy to share with anyone who is interested.

I really enjoyed this build, there were a lot of technical challenges.

In defence of Brooks and the comments re "Scale Sailboats" - the "Jive" is loosely based on a 1:82 scale model of USS Constitution ("Old Ironsides"). This could perhaps be called "Old Plastic Sides" So it is "scale". However, technically, I think that because it s a square rigger that it is actually a "ship" and not a "sailboat" or "yacht" - either way I don't mind, it has been great fun!!!

The "Jive" was much more successful than my effort in last year's ShipShapeRC.com EcoChallenge - for that one, I built the "Mount Franklin" - I suppose it is a Bermuda rigged sloop... This was a quick build (24 hours) using a couple of water bottles, lots of duct tape, a few bits of dowel and piano wire, with sails made from a rubbish bin liner. It met the criteria of the challenge, but it was certainly not a performer!!!

@JerryTodd - the "Mount Franklin" definitely does not belong in "Scale Sailboat" apart from being an outstanding example of what is NOT a scale sailboat!! No rivets to count here (grins). I can identify with your concerns though....

Video of the "Mount Franklin" - build and sailing. Apologies for the commentary....
"Mount Franklin" Eco Challenge (10 min 35 sec)
mrpenguin is offline Find More Posts by mrpenguin
Last edited by mrpenguin; Jul 01, 2013 at 09:05 AM.