HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 17, 2013, 07:06 AM
Joined Sep 2004
186 Posts
Question
Model to improve (learn!) precision aerobatics?

I am hoping to use this summer to improve the precision of my aerobatic flying. Currently I have a couple of planes that I have learned to fly with - MaxThrust Riot, Parkzone Trojan T28-D and Eflite Pulse XT 25e (with Power 32 motor).

Having read a few manuals on aerobatics, they all recommend using a "neutral" plane... I don't think that any of my planes really fit that description, so I'm looking at a possible new plane.

They also suggest to minimise the use of expo - to get a more direct feel. I note that 3D planes use stacks of expo because their control surfaces are so large...

I am not so interested, (or ready), for 3D flying, but I quite like the look of the Eflite Yak54 Carbob Z, or the Eflite Extra 300 32e looks like it would be more precise than my Pulse

Would appreciate any advice on:

1. Whether a more neutral plane will help me develop my flying more quickly?
2. Suitability of the two Eflite models above? The Yak manual suggests a lot of Expo... not sure if it suits flying standard aerobatics? However almost ready to fly....

Thanks
Homesick Angel is offline Find More Posts by Homesick Angel
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 17, 2013, 07:25 AM
"World's Foremost Authority"
South Central Texas
Joined Aug 2009
584 Posts
When I'm having a good day my Mini-Pulse XT is capable of performing a fairly decent version of the novice pattern. The airplane can do it, it's me who needs more practice. So, practice with your Pulse XT 25 while you look for a more pattern-like design.

You might should check out the reviews of this airplane:

http://www.aero-works.net/store/detail.aspx?ID=256

Only drawback seems to be it's a little small.

Also, use google to seek out the pattern trimming charts. Whatever airplane you use you have to "help" it to be neutral.

TP
Tepid Pilot is offline Find More Posts by Tepid Pilot
Old Mar 17, 2013, 10:10 AM
Joined Sep 2004
186 Posts
Thanks for the post. Interesting plane. A little smaller than I ad planned.... Need to check if they could deliver to UK.
Old Mar 17, 2013, 10:18 AM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
16,455 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homesick Angel View Post

1. Whether a more neutral plane will help me develop my flying more quickly?
For precision I like the plane to be a bit nnose nose heavy. It makes the plane more stable and it locks in and grooves better at high speed. Before 3D, we were flying all our planes balanced roughly 31-33% of the chord back, or in other words, 1/3 back on the wing.

Quote:
2. Suitability of the two Eflite models above? The Yak manual suggests a lot of Expo... not sure if it suits flying standard aerobatics? However almost ready to fly....
The carbo Yak is an ok sport plane. It's got a hell of a motor in it. The Eflite Extra looks liike a nice plane, but it's very expensive compared to others in the 50" size.

For conventional aerobatics and sport flying, I think the best plane out there is the Extreme Flight Extra EXP using my sport set up. Most guys can move from something like a Mini Pulse or a T28 right into an Extra EXP Sport with no trouble at all.

Rather than write ten pages here, I'll just put up the link and you can read it at your leisure. Give this a Look: Sport Flying The Extreme Flight Extra EXP.
Doc Austin is offline Find More Posts by Doc Austin
Old Mar 17, 2013, 11:45 AM
Joined Sep 2004
186 Posts
Thanks for the link .... Two questions if I may:

1. What size prop for a 3S pack?
2. Do you leave the wing plates on for precision (i.e. Not 3D) aerobatics?

Thanks
Old Mar 17, 2013, 01:09 PM
United States, ID, Burley
Joined Mar 2012
3,282 Posts
I have to throw in a word for the twisted hobbies epp planes, i got the edge 540 and it is a blast. if you crash a little glue and your back in the air. I had to drop the throw on control surfaces as they are touchy. I went with there power setup and 3s lipo.
http://www.twistedhobbys.com/
fastfwd is offline Find More Posts by fastfwd
Old Mar 17, 2013, 03:27 PM
South Central Texas
Joined Aug 2009
584 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Austin View Post
...For conventional aerobatics and sport flying, I think the best plane out there is the Extreme Flight Extra EXP using my sport set up. Most guys can move from something like a Mini Pulse or a T28 right into an Extra EXP Sport with no trouble at all...
Doc, I'm sure the EF Extra EXP is a fine airplane, but you do represent the company and possibly have a stake in it, right? So it is possible that there may be airplanes that are equal to it or even superior when it comes to precision aerobatics, right? I bet that airplane is kick for the IMAC pattern, though.

TP
Old Mar 17, 2013, 03:46 PM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
11,233 Posts
You could so a lot worse than try something like the Extreme Flight Vanquish, which is a purpose designed precision aerobatic design: http://www.aeroshack.co.uk/shop/gbu0...h_mk2_exp.html

Aeroshack are showing out of stock right now but if you phone they could probably get one.
JetPlaneFlyer is offline Find More Posts by JetPlaneFlyer
Old Mar 17, 2013, 03:54 PM
South Central Texas
Joined Aug 2009
584 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer View Post
You could so a lot worse than try something like the Extreme Flight Vanquish, which is a purpose designed precision aerobatic design: http://www.aeroshack.co.uk/shop/gbu0...h_mk2_exp.html

Aeroshack are showing out of stock right now but if you phone they could probably get one.
That's what I'm talkin' about.

http://www.extremeflightrc.com/html/vanquishmkII.html

A precision aerobatic specific airplane.

TP
Old Mar 17, 2013, 05:00 PM
Joined Jan 2009
7,643 Posts
It would appear the Vanquish is sold out... possibly out of production? You might also check out the Hyperion Helios.
rafe_b is offline Find More Posts by rafe_b
Old Mar 17, 2013, 06:11 PM
Joined Dec 2005
5,424 Posts
I think what you are looking for is an F3A Pattern plane ....

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...1575&search=Go
Obake is offline Find More Posts by Obake
Old Mar 17, 2013, 06:25 PM
United States, ID, Burley
Joined Mar 2012
3,282 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Austin View Post
For precision I like the plane to be a bit nnose nose heavy. It makes the plane more stable and it locks in and grooves better at high speed. Before 3D, we were flying all our planes balanced roughly 31-33% of the chord back, or in other words, 1/3 back on the wing.

The carbo Yak is an ok sport plane. It's got a hell of a motor in it. The Eflite Extra looks liike a nice plane, but it's very expensive compared to others in the 50" size.

For conventional aerobatics and sport flying, I think the best plane out there is the Extreme Flight Extra EXP using my sport set up. Most guys can move from something like a Mini Pulse or a T28 right into an Extra EXP Sport with no trouble at all.

Rather than write ten pages here, I'll just put up the link and you can read it at your leisure. Give this a Look: Sport Flying The Extreme Flight Extra EXP.
man that is a sweet plane !
fastfwd is offline Find More Posts by fastfwd
Old Mar 17, 2013, 06:36 PM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
11,233 Posts
Hard (or impossible) to find the Great planes Sequence in the UK unfortunatly, but the Hyperion Helios is available, and not a bad price: http://robotbirds.com/catalog/index....bab28415e8b3ba

The Sebart Angel S 30E is another one worth looking at, available in the UK but not cheap.
Old Mar 17, 2013, 08:59 PM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2007
4,497 Posts
These might work for you also:
http://www.3dhobbyshop.com/47-Osiris-BLUE_p_15885.html
http://www.3dhobbyshop.com/62-Osiris--Blue_p_15389.html

It's not 3d..

3DHS - 62" Osiris Pattern Plane (5 min 31 sec)
eagle777 is offline Find More Posts by eagle777
Last edited by eagle777; Mar 18, 2013 at 12:07 AM.
Old Mar 18, 2013, 06:13 AM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
11,233 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle777 View Post
These might work for you also:
Yeah, it might work *if* you could get them in the UK (but you cant). As it is importing from the USA makes it ridiculously expensive, plus you cant get parts here.

There was a UK 3DHS distributer set up about a year back but so far stock is extremely limited, no sign of the Osiris. The prices from the UK distributer are sky high too, about 150% of USA list price. I cant see them selling very many at those prices regardless of how good they are.