Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Mar 05, 2013, 09:52 PM
Oakland Ca.
Joined Aug 2009
8,514 Posts
Cool heritage Jeff ...
Tim B. is offline Find More Posts by Tim B.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 05, 2013, 10:04 PM
Oakland Ca.
Joined Aug 2009
8,514 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbilgewater View Post
Tim,is it stainable? I can't seem to be able to read that .
Of course if painting it makes no dif.
OBW
Si, it is stainable, it comes in several different "colors", using the "natural" would stain out best.

I like it because it can be put on thick and doesnt shrink or crack.

I filled and sanded all the wood on this boat with it, the entire area below the rub rail on this lifeboat was filled with it, went on smooth, did not shrink or crack, REALLY thick amount put on all at once.

Ill NEVER use Bondo again.
Old Mar 05, 2013, 10:45 PM
777Geoff, Vancouver, Canada.
Canada, BC, Surrey
Joined Jan 2013
62 Posts
Great vintage pictures!

Famowood filler, Wow, looks great, so substitute the bondo step with famowood.
Geoffqf is offline Find More Posts by Geoffqf
Old Mar 06, 2013, 07:15 AM
United States, PA, Quakertown
Joined Jan 2012
1,532 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff2010 View Post
So the Aero Gloss goes on before the balsa filler? Do I use more Aero Gloss after the balsa filler as well?
Simply put,the Aero Gloss used in this way,has little to do with the finish.The Aero Gloss (thinned) penetrates, strenghtens,and makes the balsa less susceptable to the effects of water.(swelling,rotting,)
I used aprox. one quart 50/50 on inside and outside of all formers/planks/sheeting.The visible effect ? Virtually none!!!!! Where did it all go?

Observation : So much attention is given to sealing, sanding, painting the surface(s) of the craft.
Question:What happens to the wood if water enters the wood(from the inside or out) through a flaw,crack, tool damage, ding ?
oldbilgewater is offline Find More Posts by oldbilgewater
Old Mar 06, 2013, 03:23 PM
Valencia, CA
Joined Oct 2002
3,573 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbilgewater View Post
Simply put,the Aero Gloss used in this way,has little to do with the finish.The Aero Gloss (thinned) penetrates, strenghtens,and makes the balsa less susceptable to the effects of water.(swelling,rotting,)
I used aprox. one quart 50/50 on inside and outside of all formers/planks/sheeting.The visible effect ? Virtually none!!!!! Where did it all go?

Observation : So much attention is given to sealing, sanding, painting the surface(s) of the craft.
Question:What happens to the wood if water enters the wood(from the inside or out) through a flaw,crack, tool damage, ding ?
Water penetrating the surface that gets to raw (unsealed) wood in the hull may cause that wood to swell or rot, depending on the amount of penetration. That may cause the hull to split if the exterior is not strong enough to resist the force of the swelling, a reason for glassing the exterior with resin and fiberglass cloth, even if only 3/4 ounce..

Years ago, I bought a Scientific Models USS Nautilus when it first came out (mid to late 50s). The model was rubber powered and had adjustable diving planes. When it would be launched, the initial burst of power would cause the diving planes to submerge the model, then as the "power burst" diminished, she would come back up, run along the surface until the rubber fully unwound and then glide to a stop. Fine for a small pond.

The model was built from a shaped and hollowed balsa block provided in the kit, a bottom piece, to which was fastened a ballast bar, and a block conning tower. Either the instructions omitted -- or I omitted -- any sealing of the hull interior before cementing the bottom piece to the main hull block. I had plenty of dope and filler on the exterior.

As a result, some time after running the model, the hull swelled and split in multiple places, because the water that got into the interior and soaked into the hull block was trapped inside, as the outside sealer did not let the wood breathe.

In 1986 I built a Midwest Trawler, which I glassed on the exterior with resin and 3/4 oz. glass cloth. I believe I may have also doped the interior with clear dope. I have run that model, but I can't say whether there has ever been a significant amount of water intrusion. The model is now 26 years old, and, except for yellowing of the white cabin and trim, the finish looks as good as when first built. If it did get wet inside, the exterior resin/cloth has resisted any tendency to split.

Lesson learned: seal the inside as best as you can and there will be a minimal opportunity for water intrusion resulting in a minimal amount of potential damage to the hull.

Pete G.
P_J_Glor is offline Find More Posts by P_J_Glor
Old Mar 06, 2013, 09:11 PM
Oakland Ca.
Joined Aug 2009
8,514 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoffqf View Post
Great vintage pictures!

Famowood filler, Wow, looks great, so substitute the bondo step with famowood.
You might experiment with some of these materials to learn how they are going to behave before making any not-fun to reverse changes ....
Old Mar 06, 2013, 10:38 PM
777Geoff, Vancouver, Canada.
Canada, BC, Surrey
Joined Jan 2013
62 Posts
Will do Tim. I am going to practice the fiberglassing first, definitely! Never done that before.

Filling and sanding, patching, veneering, old hat, but not too old to learn. 35 clocks and all our furniture restored, refinished or built.

Boats with fiberglass, a complete unknown to me, so yep, some practice first. Sage advice!

Cheers, Geoff
Geoffqf is offline Find More Posts by Geoffqf
Last edited by Geoffqf; Mar 06, 2013 at 11:46 PM. Reason: spelleiing
Old Mar 07, 2013, 06:20 AM
Australia, WA, Garden Island
Joined Nov 2010
460 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim B. View Post
Si, it is stainable, it comes in several different "colors", using the "natural" would stain out best.

I like it because it can be put on thick and doesnt shrink or crack.

I filled and sanded all the wood on this boat with it, the entire area below the rub rail on this lifeboat was filled with it, went on smooth, did not shrink or crack, REALLY thick amount put on all at once.

Ill NEVER use Bondo again.
Amazing finish there , and you've just added another product to my handy-billy.
Deckie is offline Find More Posts by Deckie
Old Mar 08, 2013, 06:37 PM
Go small or go home
Canada, SK, Regina
Joined Mar 2008
1,416 Posts
Wow!

My dad built that same boat about the same time when I was about the same age!

I always liked looking at the metal deck fittings and I remember I accidentally snapped the bracket for the search light. I never fessed up to that one, but I think we all knew it was me. I remember he added a chain to the anchor and rolled it up on a coil on the deck and locked it down with a heavy coating of Mom's nail polish. I don't remember him actually 'building' the boat, I must have been too young. Dad used to joke that it was big enough for me to ride in. I can remember being very upset when the time came and he didn't let me ride in it.

Instead of using the props and rudders, he installed a water cooled diesel engine with an inboard jet drive. Seeing how the bottom is laid up, that jet drive must have taken alot of hacking to get it in place. I don't know what possessed him to make that conversion. I only ever remember seeing it run once. The diesel was very temperamental and it nearly didn't start. Somewhere in a box are some super 8 films of it running.

The boat still sits in my Dad's bedroom. I think the original box might still be dusting away under his bed. It's the only boat he ever built and it seems to have been a part of his hobby that faded away before my role in the family. It probably didn't help that we lived in the prairies and at 'best' the only convenient boating locations were sloughs and dugouts. Maybe that's what inspired the jet drive.
ruzam is offline Find More Posts by ruzam
Last edited by ruzam; Mar 08, 2013 at 06:38 PM. Reason: fixed a typo, then fixed a typo in the 'fixed a typo' reason ;)
Old Mar 08, 2013, 06:40 PM
Oakland Ca.
Joined Aug 2009
8,514 Posts
A picture of your Dad's boat we'd like to see ...
Old Mar 08, 2013, 06:56 PM
Go small or go home
Canada, SK, Regina
Joined Mar 2008
1,416 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim B. View Post
A picture of your Dad's boat we'd like to see ...
I'll see what I can do next home visit
ruzam is offline Find More Posts by ruzam
Old Mar 08, 2013, 08:02 PM
United States, OH, Cleveland
Joined May 2012
78 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff2010 View Post
On a side note. My motivation behind this build is that my Dad built this same model when I was two years old. Back in 1961. He would take me down to a dam in Willoughby Ohio and cruise the boat. The boat went over the dam on one occasion and my Dad claimed it was someone on a CB Radio who interfered with the RC signal. Luckily It wasn't too badly damaged. In the early Ninties my Mom sold it in a Garage Sale.
Welcome aboard here! I woke up when you said garage sale and Willoughby Ohio! I definitely would have jumped on that one but my guess is that I was not that lucky to come across that boat. Good luck with your build and the motivation is great. Nice job.
GSPI is offline Find More Posts by GSPI
Old Mar 09, 2013, 07:13 PM
Joined Jan 2013
64 Posts
Sanded the Hull

Today I sanded the hull. I am very happy with the results. I used medium regular wood sandpaper. No filler has been used yet. It worked very well for the first sanding. To the touch it feels great. The pictures don't do it justice. I also glued the bow/hull tips that started out as small square blocks. I whittled them to get them close. I did the whittling before gluing them to the hull. After sanding the hull I glued the bow tips and then sanded.

Should I use filler next? Then sand again? Then use Aero Gloss? Then filler again? Then sand Again? Then Aero Gloss again? How many coats of Aero Gloss?

Any Advice on next steps would be appreciated.
Jeff2010 is offline Find More Posts by Jeff2010
Old Mar 09, 2013, 07:14 PM
Joined Jan 2013
64 Posts
Sanded Hull

Sanded Hull
Jeff2010 is offline Find More Posts by Jeff2010
Old Mar 09, 2013, 07:17 PM
Joined Jan 2013
64 Posts
Hull

Hull