HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by billpa, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Nov 16, 2012, 09:57 AM
Launch the drones ...
Ashtabula, OH USA
Joined May 1999
2,676 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by choochoo22 View Post
Try it as-is. You will probably want 2D mode to keep the camera level, or at your selected angle. For best results disable heading hold and zero the derivative gain to minimize jitters. That should stabilize fairly well on the roll and pitch axes. You might experiment with the Guardian mounted on the gimbal vs. the platform. The yaw axis is problematic as 2D mode rolls the plane to hold heading so with heading hold on you will get tilt as the heading changes and with heading hold off you will get nothing with heading changes.
You could try 3D mode, using rudder for pan and elevator for tilt. Once the camera is pointed where you want in 3D mode - let go of the stick controlling the camera orientation (resets 3D mode to current orientation) - and the camera will track that point (without any roll correction).

I suppose you could add a third roll axis to the camera gimbal - and use the roll in 3D as well.
Tim Green is offline Find More Posts by Tim Green
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 16, 2012, 12:23 PM
lud
Making mischief in the air
Berkshire UK
Joined Jan 2008
901 Posts
From Eagletree's site tonight

Guardian 2D/3D Inertial Stabilizer
BACKORDER. Batch 4 completely sold out! All new orders will be allocated from batch 5, which is anticipated to ship approximately January 2013

From this i assume that Eagle tree is going to fullfil it's own orders first before those of you at Hobbyking etc get a sniff of a unit. - guess I'm gonna cancel my order @ HK

case of demand absolutly outstripping supply

What was the name of that alternate supplier ??
lud is offline Find More Posts by lud
Old Nov 16, 2012, 12:41 PM
Rick
United States, CA, Santa Clara
Joined Mar 2011
1,938 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Green View Post
You could try 3D mode, using rudder for pan and elevator for tilt. Once the camera is pointed where you want in 3D mode - let go of the stick controlling the camera orientation (resets 3D mode to current orientation) - and the camera will track that point (without any roll correction).

I suppose you could add a third roll axis to the camera gimbal - and use the roll in 3D as well.
Yes, 3D can work also and on all 3 axes but you have to keep track of the current orientation which may be difficult in a plane. Of course you could always switch to 2D momentarily when you want to level it. It would be nice if ET would release specific gimbal firmware.
choochoo22 is offline Find More Posts by choochoo22
Old Nov 16, 2012, 12:49 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,557 Posts
Quote:
Boy oh boy did I nail that one. After first beta testing the unit I informed Bill that there was no way they would be able to keep up with demand.

Charles
everydayflyer is offline Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Old Nov 16, 2012, 03:04 PM
lud
Making mischief in the air
Berkshire UK
Joined Jan 2008
901 Posts
Bit of a bummer for those of us that are eagerly waiting for a unit..

I guess I'll hold off now till some stock appears but the downside is that funds tend to get reallocated ....
lud is offline Find More Posts by lud
Old Nov 16, 2012, 03:26 PM
Electric baptism 1975
Vernon, BC, Canada
Joined Dec 2000
2,854 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lud View Post
From Eagletree's site tonight

Guardian 2D/3D Inertial Stabilizer
BACKORDER. Batch 4 completely sold out! All new orders will be allocated from batch 5, which is anticipated to ship approximately January 2013

From this i assume that Eagle tree is going to fullfil it's own orders first before those of you at Hobbyking etc get a sniff of a unit. - guess I'm gonna cancel my order @ HK

What was the name of that alternate supplier ??
No it means that both retail(individuals) & wholesale(companies) orders together maxed out batch 4 at the time they posted. So any RC supplier that has not presold all their allocation is open to your business.
DavidN is online now Find More Posts by DavidN
Old Nov 17, 2012, 10:02 AM
Joined Jul 2004
20 Posts
I just received by 2D/3D stabilizer and have a couple of questions. Refering to the individual gain dials on the unit itself, if I fully turn a dial clockwise or counterclockwise, would this be 100% gain? Are the graduation marks proportional? I set up a Mode/Config switch on my radio, but not as yet a gain knob. Thanks
higharc is offline Find More Posts by higharc
Old Nov 17, 2012, 10:49 AM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,557 Posts
Without remote gain the max. gain available by way of the pots is approx. 50%. I many cases 50% is to much. It is best to start with the pots set at approx. the 10 or 2 Oclock position depending on which way the servos need to respond.

Perhaps this post will help.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=954

Here is another one

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=974

Charles
Last edited by everydayflyer; Nov 17, 2012 at 10:57 AM.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 11:46 AM
Joined Jul 2004
20 Posts
everydayflyer: Thanks. I'll try that.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 07:22 PM
FPV junkie
United States, UT
Joined Jan 2011
3,357 Posts
Ryan installed 2d/3d in his wing a while back. It has been a dream for him to fly.

Today I saw him flying, and decided to chase him with the Hexacopter.

It was pretty fun.

fpv chase (5 min 49 sec)
m_beeson is offline Find More Posts by m_beeson
Old Nov 17, 2012, 09:11 PM
Joined Jul 2004
20 Posts
I have another question refering to dual ailerons. In my Futaba radio I am using the Aileron Differential function and the Flaperon function is not activated. The second aileron servo plugged into the Guardian's output channel Aux dosen't work because of my radio mix, I assume. The PC Software still has the Flaperon Inputs Unmixed box checked. I'm trying not to revert to using a "Y" connector in Channel 1. Can I still connect the two ailerons with this mix in my radio?
Old Nov 18, 2012, 06:17 AM
Joined Jul 2004
20 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by higharc View Post
I have another question refering to dual ailerons. In my Futaba radio I am using the Aileron Differential function and the Flaperon function is not activated. The second aileron servo plugged into the Guardian's output channel Aux dosen't work because of my radio mix, I assume. The PC Software still has the Flaperon Inputs Unmixed box checked. I'm trying not to revert to using a "Y" connector in Channel 1. Can I still connect the two ailerons with this mix in my radio?
To answer my own questions: After unchecking the Flaperon Inputs Unmixed box, everything seems to be working correctly in all modes even with the Aileron Differential activated in my radio. When using Ail Diff, the second or left aileron in plugged into Channel 7. In the reading, I was under the inpression that the Ail-Diff mix wasn't compatible with the Guardian. Any comments please. Thank you.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 06:46 AM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,557 Posts
Please see the
Wing Type Configuration in the maual and the Explanations in the four blocks below it. Also the Dual Ailerons / Flaperons explanations below the blocks.

Fair amount of information to dijest and for many of us it takes numerious reads and a bit of trail and error before things begin to click.

Charles
Old Nov 18, 2012, 08:38 AM
Joined Jul 2004
20 Posts
Your help is greatly appreciated Charles. I also find that just using the "search this thread" feature leads me to an answer of a question that has already been asked.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 02:25 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,557 Posts
You are welcome and Crtl F (Find) works well also.

Charles