HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 08, 2012, 01:59 AM
Ashford. Kent. England
Joined Feb 2005
6,809 Posts
ScaleAndTile3 by Bill Segraves trialed

Conclusion... a simply excellent way to make a single page and tiled page pdf from any good image files and PDF's.. and an excellent way to check your downloaded pdf and scale it to any size.. or even to the correct size..
davereap is online now Find More Posts by davereap
Last edited by davereap; Jan 09, 2012 at 03:56 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 08, 2012, 02:13 AM
Ashford. Kent. England
Joined Feb 2005
6,809 Posts
Bill I hope ive not missed anything..
Your tile and scale does a super fast job ...Nice...
Old Jan 08, 2012, 07:57 AM
Joined Jan 2007
1,934 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davereap View Post
Bill I hope ive not missed anything..
Your tile and scale does a super fast job ...Nice...
Dave, a couple of comments on ScaleAndTile3:

1. You can see the extra options by adjusting the size of the GUI with your mouse pointer, or by simply maximizing the window.
2. Once you've opened up a full view of the GUI, you can see a checkbox for turning off the grids, when you have no further use for them.

Cheers,
Bill Segraves
segraves is offline Find More Posts by segraves
Last edited by segraves; Jan 08, 2012 at 03:38 PM.
Old Jan 09, 2012, 02:27 AM
Ashford. Kent. England
Joined Feb 2005
6,809 Posts
Oh DUH!!! what an idiot I am thanks so much bill..... one day I will get the hang of these PC thingys...lol...
sorry for all my spelling mistakes.... dave

Now NO GRIDS
Last edited by davereap; Jan 09, 2012 at 03:57 AM.
Old Jan 09, 2012, 07:18 AM
Joined Jan 2007
1,934 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davereap View Post
Oh DUH!!! what an idiot I am thanks so much bill..... one day I will get the hang of these PC thingys...lol...
sorry for all my spelling mistakes.... dave

Now NO GRIDS
No problem. Thanks for caring enough to fix innocent mistakes.

Best regards,
Bill Segraves
segraves is offline Find More Posts by segraves
Old Jan 11, 2012, 02:00 AM
Ashford. Kent. England
Joined Feb 2005
6,809 Posts
Things to remember when using the ScaleAndTile3..for making life easier...

1.. NOTE on my C: drive I made a folder called ScaleAndTile3 and put the various files from Bill in it..this is my working folder..I made a shortcut to the folder on my desktop ..by right clicking and using ..send to> desktop> create shortcut...open the working folder from the shortcut for ScaleAndTile3...
2.. Again make a shortcut to the executable .jar file for your desk top..when its on your desktop, rename the shortcut to ScaleAndTile3....double left click to open..This opens the GUI , the programs interface...
3.. As before you make a shortcut to your plans folder or folders for your desktop...Open your plans folder......

My icons are arranged together on the desktop as in the pic1

when all are opened arrange their windows on your screen to see all three.... note the GUI window needs to be pulled open by dragging the bottom of its box....to show the grid controls.. see the pic2..

For the program to work the file to be converted must be put into the working folder... always copy the file across, don't move it, this will keep the original safe.. do a right click/hold and drag the file from your plans folder to the working window.. release the mouse button and click on copy..

I use copy and paste to quicken the process...This also stops typing errors..type the name wrong and it wont work..
ctrl c copies and ctrl v pastes
In your window click on the file name area slowly twice to get the name only highlighted ..copy it... move to the GUI input box and paste it there..set the page number (often 1) and the scale (often 1) ..then paste the name in the output box...
You can put any name in the output box but you have already copied the correct name so its faster to paste that one in..
You can see the resulting names after Do It is clicked..
Last edited by davereap; Jan 11, 2012 at 11:39 PM.
Old May 08, 2012, 03:08 AM
Ashford. Kent. England
Joined Feb 2005
6,809 Posts
Printing out using AdobeX is a good method once you have the PDF to the correct size..
with the scale at 100% it will print registration marks for cutting and joining tiles when printing under the poster option

Note after setting the options there is no preview, but clicking on portrait or landscape will do the same job.. altering the view in the output box shown..
clicking on enter will start it printing... so have care to get it correct first..
Last edited by davereap; May 08, 2012 at 04:21 AM.
Old May 23, 2012, 07:55 AM
Keep it Simple Stupid
United States, NC, Raleigh
Joined Jul 2011
244 Posts
I'm a bit of an open-source & Linux nut, so here's a toolchain I've figured out. My goal was avoiding any vector -> raster -> vector conversions, permitting accurate and highly complex shapes:
  1. 3d program of choice (I like Blender), with a focus on achieving the desired exterior shapes, not internals (yet).
  2. Export as STL (nearly all 3d software supports this arcane format)
  3. Use Sheinforge (or similar slicing app.) with a material thickness setting sized "large" so you're not dealing with over 100-or-so layers.
  4. Skeinforge writes slices into layers in SVG format (proof them in your browser).
  5. Adjust any scale & orientation problems, go back to step #2. i.e. your wings will probably need to be sliced in a different orientation than the fuse.
  6. Use InkScape (or other vector app) to pick out the "key" layers, e.g. every 10th slice.
  7. Staying in InkScape, assemble slices into 2d plans.

NB: The really cool thing here is, if you want a larger or smaller set of plans, you can simply re-size them in InkScape to virtually any size you want before conversion to PDF and/or printing/cutting. You won't loose any quality or accuracy because no raster conversion was performed anywhere in the process!

Shameless plug: 2d printing is rapidly becoming oldschool. You can go straight to 3D now. It won't fly, but for mock / model building purposes, Shapeways sandstone material is $0.75 per cu. cm with 40-micron accuracy.
razortoe is offline Find More Posts by razortoe
Old Sep 28, 2012, 12:16 AM
Ashford. Kent. England
Joined Feb 2005
6,809 Posts
3d printing is clever stuff....
Old Sep 28, 2012, 08:39 AM
low tech high tech
Southern Vermont
Joined Feb 2007
3,028 Posts
Old school? Building models is old school (by comparison for instance with ARF's and their modern manufacturing processes) and intentionally so.

I guess when 3D printing can extrude foam of the same density we routinely work with in building foam or balsa models, (and at similar cost and size) it will be more applicable to R/C flying. 40 micron accuracy for a $50 shaped pile of hot glue is an interesting desk top novelty, but I haven't seen any floating overhead at the field yet.

Kudos for using Linux, and thanks greatly for your alternate Blender/Skeinforge/Inkscape methodology in 3D design. Why not open a thread for that, since the info is buried here?
vtdiy is offline Find More Posts by vtdiy
Last edited by vtdiy; Sep 28, 2012 at 08:46 AM.
Old Sep 28, 2012, 08:05 PM
Balsa&Tissue
United States, OR, Beaverton
Joined Jan 2011
2,422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtdiy View Post
Old school? Building models is old school (by comparison for instance with ARF's and their modern manufacturing processes) and intentionally so.

I guess when 3D printing can extrude foam of the same density we routinely work with in building foam or balsa models, (and at similar cost and size) it will be more applicable to R/C flying. 40 micron accuracy for a $50 shaped pile of hot glue is an interesting desk top novelty, but I haven't seen any floating overhead at the field yet.

Kudos for using Linux, and thanks greatly for your alternate Blender/Skeinforge/Inkscape methodology in 3D design. Why not open a thread for that, since the info is buried here?
An FDM, SLA or other 3d printout can make a good base for a mold (vacuum forming or even fiberglass). It is too expensive but it will get cheaper. I got a friend to make me a cowl using 3D printed FDM for a scratch build of a DC-6. It worked out really well. Would I pay $50 for a master that is right out of my CAD program? Likely yes if I didn't have someone to help me out. Some molds for vac forming etc. are fairly easy to carve out of balsa or foam and some are not.

Dave
payne9999 is online now Find More Posts by payne9999
Old Jan 20, 2013, 07:19 PM
Suspended Account
United States, FL, Pompano Beach
Joined Oct 2011
1,425 Posts
Hi davereap I have glanced over the thread (link from KF)and gather that in order to get the Scale and tile software I have to PM Mr. Segraves? I checked out the posterrazor but it doesn't look like it dose pdf files. So I gather that the way to scale up the F-86 is start with the full plans download not the tile plans pdf.http://www.theparkpilot.com/images/B...-fullPLANS.pdf
zeroback is offline Find More Posts by zeroback
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jan 21, 2013, 07:35 AM
-insert witty saying here-
United States, CT, Killingworth
Joined Dec 2005
1,750 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroback View Post
Hi davereap I have glanced over the thread (link from KF)and gather that in order to get the Scale and tile software I have to PM Mr. Segraves? I checked out the posterrazor but it doesn't look like it dose pdf files. So I gather that the way to scale up the F-86 is start with the full plans download not the tile plans pdf.http://www.theparkpilot.com/images/B...-fullPLANS.pdf
You don't need any other program to tile print a PDF if you have the latest version of Acrobat Reader, which is XI. In the print dialogoue, look under "Page size and Handling", select the "poster" button and set your scale, overlap and other poster print options there.....

If you don't have the latest version: http://get.adobe.com/reader/
Hemikiller is offline Find More Posts by Hemikiller
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 21, 2013, 08:24 AM
Suspended Account
United States, FL, Pompano Beach
Joined Oct 2011
1,425 Posts
Thanks Mr. Hemikiller (poor Hemi)
It worked great I haven't laid the paper out yet ( got to borrow the neighbors 4' X 8' bench top to lat them out) I said what the heck if I'm going a little bigger lets go a lot bigger, than I came to me senses and settled for a 150%.
zeroback is offline Find More Posts by zeroback
Last edited by zeroback; Jan 21, 2013 at 10:21 AM.
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Apr 17, 2013, 11:58 AM
Ashford. Kent. England
Joined Feb 2005
6,809 Posts
there are lots of ways to get scaled up or down plans.. I prefer the scale and tile for an accurate method and its pdf output.. the gridded output gives the size and you mess with the scale size box to get it just how you want...
I leave the grid on as it helps you fit the pages nicely together
You can use a few other programs including sketchup to do the same job...