HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 17, 2012, 07:32 AM
Texas Buzzard
McAllen,Texas
Joined Mar 2004
1,034 Posts
Easy Star II Firewall ??

I just received an Easy Star II kit ( no motor).

Does Mutiplex expect us to use a motor retained to the firewall by securing motor with machine screws that go through the firewall from the front into the threads on motor's front end?

I can manufacture a plywood firewall as I usually do and use the "X" motor mount as most of us do - but why did Multiplex do that - I think they want your money for their motor. Am I overlooking something?
Texas Buzzard is offline Find More Posts by Texas Buzzard
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 17, 2012, 07:52 AM
When pigs fly rc
USA, NY, Chester
Joined Apr 2008
2,428 Posts
I had mine with only rudder for steering and it flew great ! I added ailerons with a mix of rudder and it flys like a dream.
rcrich is offline Find More Posts by rcrich
Old Jul 17, 2012, 07:52 AM
So I'M meant to be in control?
Ilkley, West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Nov 2008
3,480 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Buzzard View Post
Does Mutiplex expect us to use a motor retained to the firewall by securing motor with machine screws that go through the firewall from the front into the threads on motor's front end?

I can manufacture a plywood firewall as I usually do and use the "X" motor mount as most of us do - but why did Multiplex do that - I think they want your money for their motor. Am I overlooking something?
My screws went into through the plastic from the rear of the model, forward into the motor....

But yes, mine fitted fine.
Colonel Blink is online now Find More Posts by Colonel Blink
Old Jul 17, 2012, 08:11 AM
53859 Niederkassel, Germany
Joined Sep 2000
18,758 Posts
Quote:
That's how most motors (brushed or brushless) are mounted. Nothing unusual here.

Jürgen
Jurgen Heilig is offline Find More Posts by Jurgen Heilig
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: InterModellBau 2014
Old Jul 17, 2012, 08:35 AM
Denmark, Capital Region of Denmark, Charlottenlund
Joined Jan 2012
1,377 Posts
Quote:
I just received an Easy Star II kit ( no motor).

A standard $11, 2830mm outrunner motor like this fits directly into the pod:

3mm screws for it are even supplied in your kit :-)
mike_o is offline Find More Posts by mike_o
Old Jul 18, 2012, 07:36 AM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,275 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurgen Heilig View Post
And even when you think you got everything right ... :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYOzRyf3ENY

This is hopefully my only "off-topic" reply - please try to stay on-topic.

There is a reason why beginner models are usually not made from wood anymore.

Jürgen
Wow. I bet Kevin will stop hovering in the flight pattern.
Prof100 is offline Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 18, 2012, 10:50 AM
USA, IL, Wheaton
Joined Oct 2010
492 Posts
Back or front of "Firewall"

Quote:
That's how most motors (brushed or brushless) are mounted. Nothing unusual here.

Jürgen
Juergen (Sorry for fake umlaut)

Depends if you grew up with brushed Graupners ( in back of firewall) or fuel i.c. motors, what you think is normal.

There is a reason to put the motor in front of that mount in the EZ II, though. You need less nose weight. A two ounce motor with its CG an extra inch back of the plane CG needs 1/3 ounce ballast or extra battery weight 6 inches forward of plane CG.

I've put a back plate mounted motor (KMS 31/21 from Hobby People) on a similar sized Push E Cat, but needed to design my motor mount so it's closer to the back of the pylon. That's shown in the picture, with an APC 7X5 E prop mounted.

I have a similar motor mounted on the front of an MSComposit Citabria, in front of the "firewall", so not all European models have it in back. My Blu-Baby 42 high winger scratch built has a HiMax 2816-0890 out front as well.

So you've got choices with the EZ II. A) Find a motor with the shaft going through the fixed end, 0r B) change the mount and add nose weight, or C) slice off the pod and glue in a firewall mount.

Guten Tag

Joe
DuPageJoe is offline Find More Posts by DuPageJoe
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by DuPageJoe; Jul 18, 2012 at 04:21 PM. Reason: clarity
Old Jul 18, 2012, 03:52 PM
Joined Jan 2012
1,377 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuPageJoe View Post
...So you've got choices with the EZ II. Find a motor with the shaft going through the fixed end, change the mount and add nose weight, or slice off the pod and glue in a firewall mount....
I may be a bit slow on the uptake, but I really don't get it. I mounted an $11 "motor with the shaft going through the fixed end" as per instructions. I have had no problems whatsoever getting the CoG right.

No offence meant Joe, but why anybody would "slice off the pod" on a new (and very well designed) ES ll is simply beyond me...
Old Jul 18, 2012, 04:09 PM
USA, IL, Wheaton
Joined Oct 2010
492 Posts
Sorry Mike

Glad you took choice A and it worked for you. The CG would have shifted only if you took choice B and put the motor back of the pod. Choice C was only for die hards who wouldn't take A or B.

I was speaking to answer Texas Buzzard's question as to why Multiplex designed the mount so the motor would be in front of it. The previous answer that we always do it this way did not seem complete.

Joe
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 18, 2012, 05:08 PM
USA, IL, Wheaton
Joined Oct 2010
492 Posts
Mike

For an example of what I meant in choice B, see Tom Eutsler's post

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=779
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 18, 2012, 11:34 PM
Joined Sep 2000
18,758 Posts
Quote:
Juergen (Sorry for fake umlaut)

Depends if you grew up with brushed Graupners ( in back of firewall) or fuel i.c. motors, what you think is normal.
That's why I used the word "most".

Millions of Mabuchi and similar motors have been mounted like that.

Jürgen
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 19, 2012, 08:20 AM
USA, IL, Wheaton
Joined Oct 2010
492 Posts
Quote:
That's why I used the word "most".

Millions of Mabuchi and similar motors have been mounted like that.

Jürgen
This is still not a persuasive argument to the large number of U.S. based flyers who are trying to understand the conversion from i.c. planes to electric. Why is O.S. coming out with a line of e-motors that are rear mounted and drop in for i.c. motors? To address the above market, of course.

That's why I tried explain the Multiplex mount choice more technically.

If Multiplex wants more planes in the U.S. market, they'll need to come up with better answers to the concerns of Texas Buzzard and others like him. They have never flown Mabuchi powered airplanes. I have a 1 meter motor glider with one that I use for crashing practice. They can be picked up cheap at swap meets over here.

Joe
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 19, 2012, 10:30 AM
Joined Sep 2000
18,758 Posts
Quote:
This is still not a persuasive argument to the large number of U.S. based flyers who are trying to understand the conversion from i.c. planes to electric. ...
Well, if a modeler has problems mounting an electric motor in a plane, i.e. in this case following an illustrated instruction manual and using two machine screws, he (or she ) may have chosen the wrong hobby.

Jürgen
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 19, 2012, 10:35 AM
USA, IL, Malta
Joined Jan 2004
747 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jurgen heilig View Post
well, if a modeler has problems mounting an electric motor in a plane, i.e. In this case following an illustrated instruction manual and using two machine screws, he (or she ) may have chosen the wrong hobby.

jürgen
bazzinga!
rockom is offline Find More Posts by rockom
Old Jul 19, 2012, 10:51 AM
Joined Jan 2012
1,377 Posts
Single-servo, two-axis camera set-up

OK, 'nuff said about mounting motors, so here's something a little different: A single-servo two-axis (pan & tilt) camera set-up with rubber bands, push rods, hinges, curved wires, and funny foam cuts :

I've posted a more detailed description and a video in the FPV forum.