SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 11, 2013, 06:00 PM
Life is a Hobby
Canada, ON, Delhi
Joined Aug 2012
930 Posts
Discussion
9 foot PBY conversion

In the mid 1970s I did a photo walk-around of a PBY waterbomber in northern Ontario back in the day when you could actually stroll the tarmac without being tackled by a security guard.

Always had a desire to one day build an R/C model of that beauty. Retired in 2000. RCModeler started a blow-up service in 2003 for their plans. I asked for a 9 foot version of their plan #649. Took two years to build powered by O.S. .46 2-strokes, 11lbs all up.

I am all electric now and have just finished a conversion to EFlite Power 46s using 4000 mah 4S LiPos and 60 amp ESCs. One advantage of electric is the ease of setting up counter rotating props. Weight is 13 lbs which is lighter than the Hangar 9 B25 powered by the same motors. The PBY was never a speed merchant anyway.

I will show the details of the conversion on my personal web site along with prototype and original build photos. Will get back with the URL once I have finished the HTMLs.

Below is a photo of the PBY in 2005 just after being finished - an old digital camera with low pixel count. New photos will be with a Sony A37 DSLR. Note the amphibious gear.
erie_flyer is offline Find More Posts by erie_flyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 14, 2013, 01:41 PM
Life is a Hobby
Canada, ON, Delhi
Joined Aug 2012
930 Posts
Set up a pix gallery for the electric conversion of my 9 foot PBY. Tough to snap good shots indoors on dark Winter days. A flash just compounds the contrast. Will reshoot outdoors when the temp is comfortable.

Also includes prototype and original construction galleries. Check it out at:

http://www.kwic.com/~erieaviation/pby/
Old Jan 14, 2013, 04:44 PM
Prescott, Arizona
Joined Feb 2010
6,759 Posts
Can't wait to see some pics of her in the water!
Walter
TripleW is offline Find More Posts by TripleW
Old Jan 14, 2013, 05:47 PM
Life is a Hobby
Canada, ON, Delhi
Joined Aug 2012
930 Posts
Walter............I had shots of her in the water but they seemed to have taken a walk. Will reshoot next summer. Most of my old friends in northern Ontario live on lakes and I make a few visits every summer.

Bye the bye Walter, is the pix in your personal profile a WWII Wildcat on floats? Neat!

Bill