HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 08, 2013, 02:19 AM
Slow 'n Steady...Grease 'r In
Maine
Joined Oct 2008
1,263 Posts
No, sir. If you do this, you will likely flood the engine because the fuel will drain even when the engine's not running. You will want to have the outlet tube of your tank even with your intake. What engine are you using?

KP
kpriddle is offline Find More Posts by kpriddle
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 08, 2013, 02:24 AM
Slow 'n Steady...Grease 'r In
Maine
Joined Oct 2008
1,263 Posts
I just noticed that you'll be using a SS. So, the "intake" that I mentioned is located at the bend in the grey tube where the air/fuel mixture enters the crankcase.

KP
kpriddle is offline Find More Posts by kpriddle
Old Jan 08, 2013, 02:52 PM
United States, SC, Columbia
Joined May 2010
1,364 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PyroMan View Post
How should the tank be vertically in relation to the engine? Does it need to be higher than the fuel inlet on the engine so the fuel is gravity fed?
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpriddle View Post
No, sir. If you do this, you will likely flood the engine because the fuel will drain even when the engine's not running. You will want to have the outlet tube of your tank even with your intake. What engine are you using?

KP
Plus when you fly inverted(if that's something you do with that particular model) it might lean out.
RknRusty is offline Find More Posts by RknRusty
Old Jan 12, 2013, 06:16 PM
United States, KY, Paducah
Joined Mar 2011
596 Posts
What do ya'll recommend for hinges on this size of plane? I see there are the small nylon hinges and there is something called CA hinges. What work best?
PyroMan is offline Find More Posts by PyroMan
Old Jan 12, 2013, 06:19 PM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
Toronto (Don Mills), Canada
Joined Dec 2002
16,960 Posts
I would use CA hinges, or possibly simply a Blenderm tape hinge.
pmackenzie is offline Find More Posts by pmackenzie
Old Jan 12, 2013, 06:33 PM
Joined Mar 2011
596 Posts
Does the tape hinge go on before or after covering then?
Old Jan 12, 2013, 06:38 PM
Joined Dec 2002
16,960 Posts
Both types I mentioned would be done after covering.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 06:55 PM
Wilson NC 27896
Joined Apr 2009
762 Posts
I sewed my hinges on my Mini & so far it has held up fine. I regularly sew my hinges on my 1/2A models. Heres a pic you can see the hinges...Gene
gene6029 is offline Find More Posts by gene6029
Old Jan 12, 2013, 07:50 PM
United States, NC, Burlington
Joined May 2012
76 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpriddle View Post
nicholas,

i've been watching your build and have enjoyed the progress. I am building a lanier indicator right now that is very similar in many ways to the minnie mambo.

Anyway, here is some inspiration: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txnydokp6og
awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
dmbaerry is offline Find More Posts by dmbaerry
Old Jan 12, 2013, 07:56 PM
Joined Mar 2011
596 Posts
Sewing the hinges sound interesting. No matter which way I go it looks like I'll have to wait on hinging until I cover the plane.

I have the fuse built, I'm just waiting on electronics. I have the servos and I am waiting on a Berg 4L with a base loaded antenna to arrive. I also need to go to the hobby shop to pick up control horns, push rods, and possibly a receiver battery. Which reminds me . . . .

What should I use as a receiver battery? I was thinking this: http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...k--dsh-/Detail but I don't know if it is too heavy for this size of plane.

Also for the push rods . . . I know someone suggested CF pushrods, but which would be better: CF rods or the Dubro mini push rod set (the kind that is the really thin music wire that goes inside of a plast tube) ?
Last edited by PyroMan; Jan 12, 2013 at 08:13 PM.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 07:59 PM
Joined Mar 2011
596 Posts
Gene, is your plane controlled by an escapement?
Old Jan 12, 2013, 08:19 PM
Joined Dec 2002
16,960 Posts
That is way too big.

You want something like 250 to 350 maHr

If your servos can take it then LiFe might be a good choice.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXYXA6&P=8

You mentioned getting a Berg with a base loaded antenna.
If it is a Castle Berg it does not need base loading, you can just shorten the antenna.
You will lose range, but only because it is shorter not because of any mismatch.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...08&postcount=8.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 08:28 PM
Joined Mar 2011
596 Posts
Okay. Here are the servos I plan to use:http://www.helipal.com/ek2-0508-digi...licopters.html
They are 8g Esky digital servos. I robbed them off of an old helicopter I once had. Is the only concern about using the pack that you linked to is the voltage? If so, then it should be 'okay' the specs say it can handle "standard voltage: 5VDC +/- 1V "

Yes, it is the CC Berg 4L. I am actually buying it off of someone here on RCG. If it didn't come with a base loaded antenna already on it, I would not be putting one on. Anyway, here is the link the the antenna it has on it http://ecsvr.com/RC-Direct/shopexd.asp?id=920
Old Jan 12, 2013, 08:46 PM
Joined Dec 2002
16,960 Posts
Yes, just make sure the servos can handle the voltage.

The Berg can handle it no problem , I ran them on 2S Lipo/8.4 volts all the time in my indoor models.

I always just cut the antenna short for the foamies, but you don;t need a lot of range in the gym
In my gliders I left them full length and let the excess dangle.

Just be sure to do a range check with the sticky antenna before you fly.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 06:50 AM
Registered Misuser
Italy, Friuli-Venezia Giulia, Aviano
Joined Jan 2004
338 Posts
The servos you have will not take a 2S LiPo. They are rated for 5 +/- 1, or 4 to 6V. A fresh 2S Lipo puts out over 8V and is rated at 7.4V. To use a LiPo RX battery, you need a ubec (micro Battery Eliminator Circuit). Just like whatís in most ESC's

Once upon a time, all Receiver packs were 4 or 5 NiCad or NiMH cells rated at 4.8V and 6V respectively (1.2V cells in series). Radios were designed to work on both, hence everything is rated 4.8 to 6V.

Modern Receivers tend to be more tolerant of higher voltages, because they use so little power internally (digitally) that their internal regulator can often manage much higher voltage. The receiver digital side often runs on 3.3V but only uses a couple mA, and it only sends digital signals to the servos. The power going to the servos is a straight line from the battery. You can see the traces if you look under the pins.

Servos on the other hand use lots of current to drive the motor, so dealing with a higher voltage means dealing with lots of power. You can get high voltage servos, but they are still specialty equipment prized for their high speed (and priced accordingly).

Iíd recommend any 500 to 1000 mAh 2S LiPo and a ubec (3-5 amp is fine). I ran all my ACE RC simple series planes with a standard 500mAh AA NiMH pack and managed 10 flights or more a session. Since you have the gear for electrics, thereís no point dealing with NiMH (even if your charger supports it).

Heads Up R/C has a couple ubecís at $8 - 10. Iíve used regular ESCís too by cutting the signal line on the receiver plug (so the ESC doesnít get a motor signal). Something to consider if you have an old ESC lying around.
Vince77 is offline Find More Posts by Vince77