HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 25, 2012, 11:53 AM
United States, PA, Erie
Joined Jun 2006
89 Posts
Discussion
Motor/ESC/Battery/Prop recommendations...

Hi everyone!

I have had this plane in the shop for a few years now collecting dust and have decided to get it up and running again.

I bought it at the Toledo show back in 2003ish. It was made by NE Sailplanes, I think it was called the Akro Stik, but I might be wrong. Out of the box it was powered by a 400 size motor and an 8 cell nimh pack - I want to switch it over to a brushless system with some lipos. It never had enough get up and go with that set up, hence why I put it away.

It has a 51-1/2" wingspan. Weight of the plane less all electronics is 7.1 oz. I plan on using 4 HS-55 servos (.28 oz each) and probably a Spektrum AR6115 Rx (.14 oz). The opening at the end of the fuselage for the motor mount is 1-1/4" diameter. Plenty of room in there for electronics.

I'm looking for some power recommendations for this. Nothing too crazy as far as speed goes, but a little speed would be nice! I think it was classified as kind of a warmliner with a little floating ability in it. I'm guessing an inrunner, but really have no idea if I need gearing or should it be direct drive? Cheap would be nice as well. I'll probably need some advice on how to mount said motor in the plane as well.

Any and all input appreciated!!!!!

JimO
Erie, PA
jyymbo is offline Find More Posts by jyymbo
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 25, 2012, 12:10 PM
Tucson
Joined Nov 2009
1,034 Posts
That's a tough problem. Find out how big a battery you can fit in the plane. And you need to fit a speed controller in also. Then measure the internal size that you have for the motor (how many mm across x how many millimeters long.

The big challenge in a small plane is getting everything into the body.

Make sure that the mAh x the C rating will give you the A that proposed motor will take. Pick the motor with the most thrust, that will fit within this A rating.

Too much power is much better than too little power. You can always use the motor for fast climbs, then glide with it off.

Try out some sizes and weights of 400 "size" motors. Look at the numbers on 10 different motors, before you make a choice.
wuest3141 is offline Find More Posts by wuest3141
Old Mar 25, 2012, 12:24 PM
Tucson
Joined Nov 2009
1,034 Posts
valuehobby has a couple 400 sized brushless motors, that are in the 22mm diameter range. They put out 1.5 lbs of thrust, and run on 3S. $16. This should fly your plane with zip.

See if either of these fits in the plane. They are about 1200 kv (1200 revolutions per volt), and you could put a 7" folding prop on them for belly landings on grass. A 20A speed controller would do. hobbyking USA has 25-35A speed controllers for $9.23 and shipping.

Remember, you may have to use 30C or 40C batteries to get the 25A that the motor will pull.
Good luck.
wuest3141 is offline Find More Posts by wuest3141