HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 27, 2012, 04:01 PM
Epilepsy Awareness Month
United States, MA, Malden
Joined Mar 2008
11,647 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhead600cc View Post
Great lyrics, Mike. I think it helps if people understand that 'banks' means Grand Banks" that was huge, rich fishing grounds off Newfoundland which of course means the guy got so drunk in Nova Scotia that he woke up on a fishing boat off Newfoundland! ( About 800 miles as the crow flies)
You put a huge smile on my face. And here I'm thinking he jumped ship and woke up on the "banks" or "shoreline" of Newfoundland

Newfoundland Screech anyone?

OK, sorry, no more, back on topic

Mike.
Chap1012 is offline Find More Posts by Chap1012
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 28, 2012, 10:08 AM
Chris
Canada, NS, Queensland
Joined May 2012
173 Posts
Here I go again...

Went to that new LHS to see if they had SuperCub wheels for the new baby Champ project and came home with something else... Doug S, can you point me to the UM T-28 group? ps: are the servos supposed to be squawky?
I also couldn't resist the Merlin for when I grow up No power group ($$$!). Stinson money all l l l l gone. Ordered the special nose/prop and will build later
Airhead600cc is offline Find More Posts by Airhead600cc
Old Jun 28, 2012, 10:44 AM
United States, MI, Royal Oak
Joined Nov 2005
1,377 Posts
Alright guys I have a question. Im starting to get really big into these micros and currently have the Champ, Night Vapor, P51, T28, and Corsair. I have tons of the little 1s 120-160 mah batteries, but I have no way of checking to see how much is left in each pack after Im done flying. Ive got a bigger watt meter that checks all of my bigger packs for my bigger planes......but nothing for these micro guys!! What are you guys using to see what left "in the tank"?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Jordan
JGuilty13 is offline Find More Posts by JGuilty13
Old Jun 28, 2012, 01:14 PM
So broke I can't pay attention
Naples FL USA
Joined Mar 2009
490 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGuilty13 View Post
Alright guys I have a question. Im starting to get really big into these micros and currently have the Champ, Night Vapor, P51, T28, and Corsair. I have tons of the little 1s 120-160 mah batteries, but I have no way of checking to see how much is left in each pack after Im done flying. Ive got a bigger watt meter that checks all of my bigger packs for my bigger planes......but nothing for these micro guys!! What are you guys using to see what left "in the tank"?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Jordan
I use a PKZ3052 Battery Connector/Wire and a inexpensive digital Multi-Meter.
http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...w-wire-PKZ3052
http://www.globalindustrial.com/p/to...FQS0nQodZXoAtg

I use insulated mini aligator clips on the wires, hook them to the meter first and then plug in the battery.
caymin last is offline Find More Posts by caymin last
Old Jun 28, 2012, 01:47 PM
Chris
Canada, NS, Queensland
Joined May 2012
173 Posts
I wondered about this myself. I have a multi-tester with fairly pointy probes. I wrapped all of one except the very tip to prevent shorting out and am very careful. Caymin has a better solution.

My own question: what is the storage voltage for these 3.7V batteries for winter time if I'm not flying for 5 months?
Old Jun 28, 2012, 02:07 PM
Epilepsy Awareness Month
United States, MA, Malden
Joined Mar 2008
11,647 Posts
Quote:
I wondered about this myself. I have a multi-tester with fairly pointy probes. I wrapped all of one except the very tip to prevent shorting out and am very careful. Caymin has a better solution.

My own question: what is the storage voltage for these 3.7V batteries for winter time if I'm not flying for 5 months?
Storage voltage should be 3.8v per cell and then stored in a cool location. I have read some putting their lipos in a fridge. I have done this myself but, it takes a few cycles to wake them up. What do I mean? Voltage readings will be crazy. All over the charts.

BTW, I have a Cen-Tech multimeter (5 bucks). I took a file to the ends of the probes for a better contact. I did this after shorting out a UM batt with the probes touching as they were on the batt. I wasn't paying attention. First a "hiss" then the puff. Scared the azz off me.

Maybe I should get one of those parkzone plugs. It looks a lot easier.....hhmmmm

Mike.
Chap1012 is offline Find More Posts by Chap1012
Old Jun 28, 2012, 09:14 PM
Elfi Flyer
Rock Hill, SC
Joined Oct 2002
5,553 Posts
Quote:
Went to that new LHS to see if they had SuperCub wheels for the new baby Champ project and came home with something else... Doug S, can you point me to the UM T-28 group? ps: are the servos supposed to be squawky?
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1282886

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...44&postcount=1

And yes, the servos do make a fuss, but I haven't had a failure......yet. Just the motor, I'm on my 3rd one!

RD
Doug Sipprell is offline Find More Posts by Doug Sipprell
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Big Red Cadillac
Old Jun 29, 2012, 08:03 PM
Chris
Canada, NS, Queensland
Joined May 2012
173 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Sipprell View Post
And yes, the servos do make a fuss, but I haven't had a failure......yet. Just the motor, I'm on my 3rd one!
RD
Hi Doug, thanks. I was half kidding - I think I could have found itLast night the wind finally let up and between the Ember, Champ and the T-28 went 6 batteries. The T-28 is the first aileron flying I've done and I'm amazed how durable this little plane is! Initially it was ALL over the place and OUT OF CONTROL. Actually the CoG was way off because the battery was too far back and all it wanted to do was climb. I also trimmed the throttle when I was trying to trim the elevator!! HA. I finally settled down and sorted the 3/4 channel confusion - aileron/rudder shift. Nice little plane - quick but not outrageous speed- yet. Actually landed it on pavement a few times! ( and a tree the first time when it was wild) I will get braver with the ailerons as they offer such manoeuvrability it's a bit to get used to. It's different enough from the others that I'll still enjoy each on it's merits. I have next week off and will try to get the Super Cub in the air as well. Thanks for your help.
Old Jun 29, 2012, 09:24 PM
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Mar 2012
1,149 Posts
I wanted to put larger batt for longer flight time and to add some weight for better wind penetration but didn't want to mess with cutting up battery bay. I've decided to make a paralell battery connector instead. Hook up two 190mAh mini aviation batteries to my champ and tried it out today with P51 motor and wow.... It flew very well even in swirling wind with very decent flight time. I seem to remember my neck was getting sore from looking up so long and that had never happened before while flying my previous set up.... I think I found my perfect 1S set up for the Champ...
ccsj is online now Find More Posts by ccsj
Old Jun 29, 2012, 10:07 PM
Chris
Canada, NS, Queensland
Joined May 2012
173 Posts
CCSJ,
Nice idea! Practical and I like the wheels! Good job and something I'll look into. Wow, you guys are hard on the wallet.
1. more motors for the T-28
2. More battery connectors
3. voltage checker for 1s cells..
Old Jun 29, 2012, 11:21 PM
TjW
USA, CA, Riverside
Joined Mar 2006
220 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccsj View Post
I wanted to put larger batt for longer flight time and to add some weight for better wind penetration but didn't want to mess with cutting up battery bay. I've decided to make a paralell battery connector instead. Hook up two 190mAh mini aviation batteries to my champ and tried it out today with P51 motor and wow.... It flew very well even in swirling wind with very decent flight time. I seem to remember my neck was getting sore from looking up so long and that had never happened before while flying my previous set up.... I think I found my perfect 1S set up for the Champ...
Well, of course, technically, it's 2P
TjW is offline Find More Posts by TjW
Old Jun 29, 2012, 11:25 PM
Joined Aug 2011
288 Posts
Quote:

I heard that electric "sizzle" sound in a recent careless moment when my probes touched and hoped it wasn't a frying battery. Luckily not a problem - this time.

So just to avoid a repeat I taped and banded a couple scaps from my workbench together and ended up with this gadget.

I forget what the meter cost, but it was cheap at Radio Shark. Replacement batteries for the meter when you leave it on (and pedometers and bicycle speedos) are available at Dollar Tree.
teflon97239 is online now Find More Posts by teflon97239
Old Jun 29, 2012, 11:57 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
The banana plugs from a charging harness will plug directly into a $4 Harbor freight Multimeter.

You just unplug the harness from your charger and plug it into the multimeter, plug in a battery and read the voltage.
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
Old Jun 30, 2012, 01:00 AM
If it spins, wear it.
Northern Nevada
Joined Jan 2011
2,259 Posts
Carbon Cub wheels

Here is my Champ with Carbon Cub wheels. They are twice the size of stock and look good without having effect on flight or weight. I have a Carbon Cub and these were take offs.
whirlcap is online now Find More Posts by whirlcap
Old Jun 30, 2012, 08:37 PM
Scout CX | mCX2 | mSR | 120SR
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Dec 2011
7,274 Posts
more mods...

Got some stuff I'll add to my blog soon with more pics and info about the process.

Made my bushwheels more scale looking and added the proper struts/axles to the oleo struts...

Name: champ-more-wheel-mods-1.jpg
Views: 70
Size: 110.4 KB
Description: Name: champ-more-wheel-mods-2.jpg
Views: 81
Size: 110.5 KB
Description: Name: champ-more-wheel-mods-3.jpg
Views: 99
Size: 97.7 KB
Description:
Name: champ-more-wheel-mods-4.jpg
Views: 73
Size: 85.2 KB
Description: Name: champ-more-wheel-mods-5.jpg
Views: 92
Size: 107.1 KB
Description: Name: champ-more-wheel-mods-6.jpg
Views: 72
Size: 122.7 KB
Description:
North_of_49 is online now Find More Posts by North_of_49
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by North_of_49; Jun 30, 2012 at 08:44 PM.