SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 11, 2014, 11:05 AM
Awenda Helicopters
Canada, ON, Braeside
Joined Oct 2013
50 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpnemo View Post
Mike, we have experienced the issue you describe before in very rare occasions, we actually solved it and are sure that such problems will not happen again.

The underlying problem is just that the gelcoat to fiber adhesion is bad. When the resins (not just the epoxy, but also the paint resin) cures, tensions are build up due to shrinkage. And where there is no bond, when temperatur changes occur, the stress will lead to cracks.

As you are redoing the paint job, please make sure that you grind the affected areas down until you reach the fiber wove, and then putty it.

The gelcoat is probably loose around the crack for a few milimeters, make sure you get rid of the unbonded areas.

Don't use any paint remover solvent to remove existing paint. It most certainly will eat away the gel coat (which means also all details), it will decompose.
I would sandblast it with a fine grit like #600 first, and then work by hand.
many thanks for your advice. i have gently "opened-up" the cracks to make sure all of the unbonded material is removed.

unfortunately, where the crazing has occurred on the cabin is also where i had not planned to re-paint… that is, the simplest repainting option (for the stock white/blue medivac scheme) is to replace the blue only (the boom is easy and the main hull masking is relatively straightforward )

i am thinking of doing some strategic painting where the crazing repairs are, perhaps mimicking contrasting non-skid where appropriate.

again, your advice is most appreciated. i'll keep you posted.

mike d.

p.s. the previous owner of this heli purchased it from RCA this past Summer
Love the Lama is offline Find More Posts by Love the Lama
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 11, 2014, 12:47 PM
Joined May 2014
159 Posts
Quote:
Not that easy to see in the video, but hey, I guess its ok to be racist and tell everyone what you think about a certain race. Wow.
don't lie it's not good for your business.
you are clearly flying over people's head when the heli is climbing and that's very common in china you fly anywhere except flying fields.
it's nothing about racism.
solimon is offline Find More Posts by solimon
Old Nov 16, 2014, 09:10 AM
Awenda Helicopters
Canada, ON, Braeside
Joined Oct 2013
50 Posts
Quote:
… Don't use any paint remover solvent to remove existing paint. It most certainly will eat away the gel coat (which means also all details), it will decompose.
I would sandblast it with a fine grit like #600 first, and then work by hand.
hi again, mpnemo. quick question. does Roban clearcoat over the decals or are these water transfers put on by the builder.

looking for a safe way to remove water transfer decals.

best,
mike
Love the Lama is offline Find More Posts by Love the Lama
Old Nov 17, 2014, 08:52 PM
Joined Oct 2008
13 Posts
About to be finished with my huey. Plans drawn and fuselage produced by me to fit a raptor 30.
flyboybuster is offline Find More Posts by flyboybuster