HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 15, 2006, 05:45 AM
Just plane Mad
utah
Joined Dec 2002
399 Posts
Question
F3F Secrets

Here I am again at 4am fighting off the effects of too much time in the cold at the slope. I am interested to find out information on F3F slope racing. I know the basics as far as the rules. What I would like to find out is slope conditions on a good day such as Wind speed, direction of wind in relation to slope face. How do you judge amount of ballast for particular plane according to conditons? What different type of airplane airfoils are best suited for speed? Is a turn coordinater or coach allowed? Does anyone track records for different catagories and sizes of planes? Any other relative important information you can think of.

Ted
paramtn is offline Find More Posts by paramtn
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 15, 2006, 07:21 AM
Joined Jun 2005
599 Posts
Kevin Newton has a lot of data around his site. I'm not sure it would answer your specific questions but may be of interest to you in any case. Link below.

http://www.knewt.com/
guy mckenzie is offline Find More Posts by guy mckenzie
Old Jan 15, 2006, 09:46 AM
Retired Slope Racer
SoCal
Joined May 2003
2,540 Posts
The answer to your question is...: YES.

F3F tuning & info: http://www.socalsloperacing.com/faq.htm#howto
F3F Personal Best list: http://www.sloperacing.com/results/pb.htm
Racing Rules: http://www.sloperacing.com/rules.htm

Watch the video on our homepage: http://www.sloperacing.com/
nwoods is offline Find More Posts by nwoods
Old Jan 15, 2006, 10:24 AM
F3X
Costa Mesa, CA USA
Joined Jun 2001
1,822 Posts
Regarding your questions on models and ballast for conditions. If you can look at F3F like Golf; for the next shot one guy would use a 4 iron while others would use a 5 or a 6 maybe with a little fade. Thatís what keeps it interesting. There are many solutions.
Basically you should buy or build a ship that is close to what the better pilots are flying and just go fly a lot of practice laps, you will figure it out fairly quickly and you can fine tune and get better from there. Of course you can fly F3F with whatever you have even foamys! Just get out and do it.

It would be great for you guys in Utah to start a league. Look over www.sloperecing.com and get all the info on races. Also join the F3F@yahoogroups and the SoCalSloperacing@yahoogroups mailing lists I think both links are at www.sloperacing.com.
F3X is offline Find More Posts by F3X
Old Jan 15, 2006, 12:42 PM
Southern California
Joined Sep 2003
6,901 Posts
Tom Copp is one of the best I've ever seen at F3F--- ya can't go wrong following his suggestions! I know I learned a LOT -- FOLLOWING a LOT!!! One of these days-- I'd like to LEAD!! Gotta get some more stick time!!! NOTHING beats time in the saddle--LIke Tom said, start with a competent plane-- then set it up like the fastest guys you can find-- then practise, practise, practise, until you know you can turn fast and on time without cutting! One cut will kill ya, going long 9 times will only add a second if you're moving fast-- so keep the plane moving, anticipate the turns, but don't cut!!! There a LOT'S of good planes--- Acacia's, Sting, Aries, Trinity, Skorpian, Pike's, Tragi's, pick one to fit your style and budget. Then practise, practise, practise!! Enjoy flying!! That's the best!!
Tim
timmig is offline Find More Posts by timmig
Old Jan 15, 2006, 02:04 PM
slope-a-holic
Oak Park, CA
Joined Mar 2005
577 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by timmig
then set it up like the fastest guys you can find-- then practise, practise, practis........ pick one to fit your style and budget. Then practise, practise, practise!! Enjoy flying!! That's the best!!
Tim

UHHHH??????? S=C???

No but seriously...all you really have to try to do in the beginning is see how long you can keep the plane in a racing pattern...I like to do this for serious extended periods of time...this and trying to keep the plane along the horizon are what keeps the flying smoth when it comes to race day

@lex
aneigher24 is offline Find More Posts by aneigher24
Old Jan 15, 2006, 06:56 PM
SlopeHead
Lisboa, Portugal
Joined Jan 2004
2,882 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by paramtn
What I would like to find out is slope conditions on a good day such as Wind speed, direction of wind in relation to slope face. Is a turn coordinater or coach allowed?
If you have straight wind, use any kind of turn you like. If there is cross wind you should do a diving reversal turn at the end of the downwind leg, as you will need more energy to keep up the speed flying against the wind.

It's better not to ballast than to over ballast. Ballast if the air is turbulent or if the lift is very good. Even so do not fill your ballast tubes with lead. Use half ballast, not more, unless you are close to limit conditions (25m/s wind)...

No one can talk to you while you are flying a run, much less a turn coach or coordinator. That is an automatic zero for that round.

Basically fly a lot in all kinds of conditions, trying to maintain the speed of the plane for 10-20 legs. Then move out from the edge, relax, think what you could have done better, and go at it again. Do not do it for more than 30 minutes or so, as you need a lot of concentration for this type of flying. Land and take a break of at least another 30 minutes. I usually chat with the guys for a while, fool around with an EPP wing, etc for about one hour and then go back at it.

Also make sure your landings are always where you want them to be. In a race you must land in an assigned area. Landing out of that area is a 0 for the round.
jcosta is offline Find More Posts by jcosta