Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old May 13, 2001, 09:58 PM
Murfreesboro, TN USA
Joined Jan 2001
55 Posts
Tapered wings

What is the easiest way to make ribs that taper. Mine always turn out either too short, too long, never righ.
Is there ny tricks to making a wing that tapers?
Cosmic Shane is offline Find More Posts by Cosmic Shane
to remove ads between posts
Old May 14, 2001, 03:27 AM
Master
Weilbach, Germany
Joined May 2001
2,467 Posts
This is very hard to explain in words, but easy to do. Firstly I design my own aerofoil section to suit the model. On a tapered wing I design the tip rib so that the shape is the same as the front part of the root rib. I then make a template the size of the root rib (actually a bit longer). To make any rib on the wing, I first cut the rib out as a perfectly fitting rectangle. I mark the thickness of the LE and TE and then use the template like a French Curve to connect the two points. I do the cut outs for spars and sheeting afterwards by laying straight edges on the ribs and marking. In other words every rib is custom cut to fit. I think the name for this technique is 'logarithmic spirals.' A zillion years ago 'Aeromodeller' in the UK published a set of these curves.
ChrisP is offline Find More Posts by ChrisP
Old May 14, 2001, 04:27 AM
Grand Poobah of Nothing
Once Australia, now Finland
Joined Feb 2001
1,022 Posts
Easiest is to grab compufoil, feed in your data, press print, it does all the work for you
If you can't be bothered paying for it you can always do a screen capture and use some graphics software (Paint Shop Pro is my fav for image manipulation) to trim the grab so that its from front pixel of LE to rear pixel and then use a program such as MS Photo Editor (part of MS Office) to print it to exact size... Much easier to just buy the program though.
Trizza is offline Find More Posts by Trizza
Old May 14, 2001, 05:40 AM
JP
Portugal
Joined Mar 2001
59 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Trizza:
Easiest is to grab compufoil, feed in your data, press print, it does all the work for you

Much easier is making a foam wing... I starting doing all my wings this way because rib-by-rib work seems too much work for me.
Just MY oppinion.

JP
Lisbon, PORTUGAL
JP is offline Find More Posts by JP