HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 23, 2014, 07:56 AM
yorkshire UK
Joined Oct 2007
3,563 Posts
Went out with blaster about 9am, winds werent nice but I managed to scape a couple of minutes here and there, gave up after 10 mins though and went got the phoenix which was equally mediocre, so the minimoa came out around 11ish then the sun came out too and got a nice climb out to 1200ft and a 13min thermal flight,either I am losing my touch or the winds are just making thermalling harder these days, or it could be eyesight lol.

Scruffy, those cold early morning flights can catch some really nice thermals, in have caught some really smooth gentle rides just after the sun comes up, think its the fact that everywhere is cold and not much air movement and then the sun warms something up a little and that is enough to start a thermal and with no other air movement but that made by the thermal finding it and staying in it is easy, unlike most days here when its like trying to find a thermal in a washing machine lol.
nigelsheffield is offline Find More Posts by nigelsheffield
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 23, 2014, 11:25 PM
gizzo don't tweet
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Jan 2008
2,941 Posts
I just finished building a low wing Predator 2. Came in super light 265g, without even trying and with a music wire pushrod in place of the usual pull/ pull. I had to swap the AAA pack for a lipo to get the nose light enough. So that's cool. It's very windy here, of course, so no test flight today .
gizzo is online now Find More Posts by gizzo
Old Jul 24, 2014, 09:12 AM
looking up down under
Australia, NSW, Fairlight
Joined Feb 2008
1,303 Posts
@nigel : the best lift was the late afternoon session

although the best one near midday today in almost total overcast conditions managed to beat my previous by second (almost 3 and a half minutes) and finally did a convincing climb out from launch

looks like something has finally clicked in my air reading perhaps, although to be fair the graph clearly shows i launched straight into lift

i suspect when warmer weather arrives i will have a lot more success as the air will be more active
scruffy1 is online now Find More Posts by scruffy1
Old Jul 24, 2014, 11:21 AM
yorkshire UK
Joined Oct 2007
3,563 Posts
Nice one sxruffy!
I think you develops a 6th sense after q while and just seem to know where there lift is and just manage to throw right into lift on purpose!
I had an early morning session again 6am till 7:30 and best flight was 2 mins , but I find the timer game more fun so did not pursue many thermals for more than a short while, but having to land at set points and then launch right out again meens I leave a thermal but still know where it is so I come in fast , put brakes on late and relight right back into the same thermal I just left, spending as little time as pos out of the thermal, I do this till the thermal starts getting too far away and then have to find another to continue the ladder task. It is really good practice for coring the thermal quickly and of course managing the time of the flight and doing relights!
Winds got up though and it went from fairly calm to crazy turbulent in a moment and did not calm down so I went home while blaster was still in one piece.
Took the phoenix out but even that was flying drunk and backwards and landing was tricky even with crow.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 03:44 PM
yorkshire UK
Joined Oct 2007
3,563 Posts
Just had another play, couple e of rounds of the timer game before it got dark just as the winds calmed down and the insects started biting!
Old Jul 24, 2014, 09:11 PM
let's FLY!
United States, VT, Castleton
Joined Dec 2007
1,943 Posts
I apologize in advance

I did a little close-quarters catch and release in my back yard a few evenings ago while I was grilling burgers. Flying here is why my planes are so beat up. I really shouldn't, but I can't help myself when the wind is calm. It's always fun, but it always ends badly.

I apologize for everything about this video. It's the first video I've ever shot and my first try at editing. It was shot on an old flip video camera that I was given free, and the brightness and resolution are horrible. My launches are weak....I'm wearing flip-flops that kept falling off my feet, and I'm babying the plane because it's gotten so floppy in the wings. (if you watch the launches frame by frame you'll see the "dynamic dihedral"). And I apologize for the shirtless 50-something guy who keeps getting in front of the camera. He should eat less and exercise more. And put a shirt on!

Best if not viewed in full screen mode. Turn your screen brightness up, stand back about 10', and squint a little.

The music is Jerry Douglas covering Duane Allman's "Little Martha" on the dobro. No need to apologize for that

Backyard DLG (3 min 7 sec)

The plane actually survived with very little damage. Or I should say, with very little additional damage.
JimZinVT is online now Find More Posts by JimZinVT
Old Jul 24, 2014, 09:19 PM
Duane
No. VA
Joined Nov 2004
1,368 Posts
Got a chance to fly my newly repaired Fr3aK-ish with a BTOA. Now I can see just how bad my launch is.
Wazmo is offline Find More Posts by Wazmo