HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 07, 2012, 02:35 PM
Joined May 2012
2 Posts
Discussion
Cheap rc airplane. Need new one

Okay this christmas, my dad bought me a cheap airhogs airplane with a camera. It was so dang hard to fly. It did not feel like a trainer or anything. So i decided to make my own airplane, I saved my money by selling plants and breeding bunnies and rabbits. Now all i need are the parts.

But don't know which part to buy or to get.

this is all i know

ESC
Motor
Servos for rudder and elevator and some ailerons
and a remote that can link up to the esc.
Now am i for getting something?
Fpv_werido is offline Find More Posts by Fpv_werido
to remove ads between posts
Old May 07, 2012, 02:49 PM
Redacted per NSA "suggestion"
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Feb 2012
5,411 Posts
The plane!

JK batteries and charger.
dedStik is online now Find More Posts by dedStik
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Confessions of a smoker...
Old May 07, 2012, 02:54 PM
DO A BARREL ROLL!
Joined Feb 2012
56 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fpv_werido View Post
Okay this christmas, my dad bought me a cheap airhogs airplane with a camera. It was so dang hard to fly. It did not feel like a trainer or anything. So i decided to make my own airplane, I saved my money by selling plants and breeding bunnies and rabbits. Now all i need are the parts.

this is all i know

ESC
Motor
Is this scratchbuild going to be your 2nd plane?

It sounds to be like you're going to try building a 4-Channel. I'm relatively new to this myself (1 year) and if you want an easy-to-fly airplane, I'd suggest buying a 3-channel trainer or looking at the forums here for a trainer airplane you could build yourself.

I don't know a lot about power systems, so you'll have to ask others about that. I do know that you have to be careful about the batteries, ESC, and motor you choose or you could build a plane with parts that don't match up and then you'll fry your airplane's electronics.

I would suggest buying or building a high-wing, 3-channel airplane with throttle, rudder, and elevator to learn on if you're just starting. I wish I could help more but I don't have a lot of experience myself.
AmbienceFlyer is offline Find More Posts by AmbienceFlyer
Old May 07, 2012, 05:06 PM
Not failing=Not trying enough
United States, IA, Coralville
Joined Jun 2011
360 Posts
Props to you for having the patience to work to get what you want! How much have you saved up? This will give us an idea of how big of a plane you could make.
Wehrdo is offline Find More Posts by Wehrdo
Old May 07, 2012, 05:48 PM
Joined Jan 2012
183 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fpv_werido View Post

this is all i know

ESC
Motor

Plants huh........

Are you sure yo u want to build one. If so scratch built or a kit.
on1wheel01 is offline Find More Posts by on1wheel01
Old May 07, 2012, 07:04 PM
Joined May 2012
2 Posts
Money

I got about 300$ i got the 100 dollars from the 4 giant pumpkins that cost 25$ i got
my other money from sunflower mammoths that grow up to 14 feet tall! and the other 100 came from flowers and other stuff. This year im hoping to get the 300$ again , There you know about how much money i have.

My mom says to buy your own stuff, Soo yeah.
Im looking to build a trainer and than after im done training i'll sell the model but keep the electronics. P.S Ill earn more money that way to get more stuff :P
Is this a good plan. Im looking forward to making a fpv plane too. Saw some videos of easystars going up in the clouds
Fpv_werido is offline Find More Posts by Fpv_werido
Old May 07, 2012, 07:33 PM
Not failing=Not trying enough
United States, IA, Coralville
Joined Jun 2011
360 Posts
You can get a good setup for $300. Do you have anybody around that could help you learn to fly? If you do, a balsa kit is an option. If not, I'd stick with foam for your first plane, because it will get crashed, no matter what you do.

You should hold off the FPV stuff until you know how to fly. After a couple planes you could get into that.
Wehrdo is offline Find More Posts by Wehrdo
Old May 07, 2012, 07:53 PM
United States, NE, Arcadia
Joined Jun 2005
134 Posts
Just putting in my 2 cents worth. The Hobby Zone Super Cub LP would be a great little plane to start with. You could go the Bind and Fly route at 170.00. Then pick up a DX7 or above so you have a transmitter you could keep and just grow with. I think you could pick up a DX7 used for a $100.00 or so.

Rich
spencer1 is offline Find More Posts by spencer1
Old May 07, 2012, 08:57 PM
Yea, I fly dusty planes..
United States, LA, Angie
Joined Apr 2009
2,052 Posts
Hobbyzone has a twin engine trainer called the Firebird Stratos that is RTF for $129.00 that looks good for a beginner. It contains everything you need to go out and fly. It is made to come apart in the event of an eventual crash. Looks cool really and very affordable. Dave/ZZ
zeezee is offline Find More Posts by zeezee
Last edited by zeezee; May 07, 2012 at 09:42 PM.
Old May 07, 2012, 09:40 PM
Just having fun
United States, KY, Hopkinsville
Joined Feb 2008
2,084 Posts
Another choice is to learn to fly with a plane that is already built and ready to fly. While learning to fly you will be able to learn more about RC planes and could make good decisions to build or purchase your 2nd plane.

One way to learn to fly is with a Hobbyzone Champ. The Champ comes with everything needed to fly. It can fly in small areas because it is a small plane and it is hard to damage because it is so light. If there is a hobby shop near you it is probably available at that hobby shop at the same $89 price. They will probably also have parts for the Champ if needed later. The down side is that this light plane will not fly in wind. It will handle some wind, but not much above 5 mph and should be flown in no wind when starting out.

If you have the room to fly, the option of getting the Hobby Zone Super Cub is a very good suggestion. The Super Cub has a 48 inch wing span and requires more space, like 2 football fields, for a beginner. It comes with everything needed to fly except for the TX (transmitter). The Super Cub is likely to be available at a local hobby shop. It does fly better than the Champ because of its size and is more like the rest of the RC planes in how it is set up.

For a transmitter I would recommend the Spektrum DX6i. A new DX6i costs $160. The DX6i would, of course, work with the Super Cub (it would work with the Champ too). This TX would serve you well for several years. It can be found in the classifieds here at RCGroups for around $125.

After you learn to fly a 3 channel plane, then you can build your next plane and have a lot more knowledge to know what you need or want. And the DX6i will be usable with your next plane.

To help answer your original question, an RC plane needs:

The plane
motor
propeller
ESC (Electronic Speed Control)
servos to move control surfaces (2 for a 3 channel plane, 3 or 4 for a 4 channel plane)
receiver
transmitter
battery
battery charger

When building a plane, the normal steps are to determine what you are going to build for a plane and then choose the appropriate power system (battery, ESC, motor and prop) to power the plane. What to use for the power system will depend on the size of the plane, the size of the planes wing, and the style of flying the plane will be used for. These will tell you what size of motor you need and which propeller should be used. Once you know that you can choose the right ESC and battery to provide the needed power.

Good luck. RC planes is a very fun hobby. The learning curve of RC planes is very steep but reading a lot here at RCGroups will give you lots of knowledge.

Freddy
Fredriksson is offline Find More Posts by Fredriksson
Old May 08, 2012, 08:30 AM
RC plane addict ;-)
United Kingdom, England, Norwich
Joined Aug 2008
1,664 Posts
You have some great advice to soak up there so i won't sit here and tell you even more,but i'd go for a AXN floater/Jet from Hobbyking as they are a great plane to learn on and to do FPV with.

Type in AXN floater on youtube and you will see loads of videos pop up,also if you do go over to youtube check out rcmodelreviews and xjet (same guy has both channels and no it's not me ) he has this plane too and he will show you how to build it if need be,plus he also shows how he uses it for FPV.

I thought i'd point that out as you did say you want to get into FPV,plus it would be up to you what you do with it,as you said you would sell the plane and just use the parts,but at the price this plane go for it really wouldn't be worth it as it's so cheap anyway,don't let that put you off though as there really are loads of people who fly it.

Good luck and i hope you enjoy the hobby as we do and once you do it will be with for a long time i hope.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...C_EPO_PNF.html
startazz is offline Find More Posts by startazz
Old May 08, 2012, 08:48 PM
Joined Jan 2012
183 Posts
I started wit ha super cub a few months ago and effin love her. And you can add ailerons very easy and have a great 4 ch trainer, flatten the wing or make it a low wing plane and have a monster add brushless and be great. And as said the plane is about $200 new at local stores u can fully mod it for around 50-75 more. That's my vote but hey it's all good either way. Oh and it is very forgiving I've broken mine is half more times than I wanna admit and some 5 min epoxy and she is ready for the sky's again
on1wheel01 is offline Find More Posts by on1wheel01
Old May 08, 2012, 10:55 PM
This Calls for a Sexy Party
Minneapolis
Joined Sep 2010
639 Posts
if you want to go the cheap way, get a Turnigy 9x ( or spektrum if you have more money )

and a Bixler or lookalike planes.

Or you can buy parts, Dollar Tree foamboard and build a blu-baby with rudder ( then one with aileron ) then build a wing ( i like it because it is super durable and you can crash it pretty hard without breaking anything beside the airframe )
StewieRC is offline Find More Posts by StewieRC