HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
This thread is privately moderated by brianshell, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jan 13, 2012, 12:37 PM
Registered User
Daemon's Avatar
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,219 Posts
With 6Mhz per channel, obviously at 50Mhz band, you eat the whole band with one channel.
Note that VHF broadcast TV has channels at 54Mhz, 60Mhz, 66Mhz 76Mhz and 82Mhz.
Some have been repurposed to DTV.
UHF band broadcast TV has channels starting a 470Mhz, running up to 884.
Also repurposed for DTV, which has opened a lot of space between channels, but not
where we can play.

There are amateur TV frequencies between 420Mhz and 450Mhz, but they overlap
with each other, and of course overlap with the 433Mhz control band we use.
As Alex says, the gear is hard to find (usually made, not sold).

From a practical standpoint, it's a lot easier to provide sharp edged band pass filtering
at higher frequencies than low, which is why higher frequencies tend to
provide better quality video.

ian
Daemon is online now Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 13, 2012, 12:43 PM
Registered User
Toysrme's Avatar
Birmingham, Alabama
Joined Jun 2002
2,969 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
Most DVRs don't fully capture the difference in quality because they're bitrate limited
none of them capture 480i well. even black magics running uncompressed. its the interlacing. no codec out there handles it well enough for ultra high quality deinterlacing. you wind up just wanting to shoot yourself deinterlacing it into a blured mess.

which is why i said. i wish someone would grab a DSLR, tx/rx from the same OEM's and take some real pictures thatll show the quality difference.
Toysrme is offline Find More Posts by Toysrme
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2012, 12:56 PM
Registered User
Daemon's Avatar
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,219 Posts
Several DVRs capture the raw interlaced signal allowing you to handle deinterlacing
with a quality filter in post. Same with all MiniDV cameras used as recorders
or when using a PC based capture card. A static photo won't really convey
the quality difference.

This 5.8Ghz video was captured by my flying buddy Jimmy on his Aiptek DVR. It lost a lot in
capture and YouTube recompression, but can see that the signal itself is clean and clear.
FPV Near Catastrophe (3 min 57 sec)

You rarely see visible noise creep into the image as it does on other band. When it
goes out it goes completely.

ian
Daemon is online now Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 13, 2012, 01:03 PM
Registered User
Toysrme's Avatar
Birmingham, Alabama
Joined Jun 2002
2,969 Posts
nothing beats a black magic. DV and Aiptek DVR looks like a lulz fest compared. its too bad nobody in fpv ever buys them...
what's with the weird crop in that video?
nevermind. it was letterboxed & pillarboxed in the embedded player here, it's only letterboxed to 4:3 in the native. forum fail



i just want somebody to take a DSLR, or a quality enough camera hooked up to a monitor ora non processing TV to show the actual difference in quality in systems when range & local radio conditions are not factors. there should be plenty of people capable of doing this.
Toysrme is offline Find More Posts by Toysrme
Last edited by Toysrme; Jan 13, 2012 at 01:09 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2012, 01:17 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Sep 2006
3,332 Posts
great posting!

ive been in fpv for almost 3 years. that said it is about 1/3 of my rc flying time.

im still on my original 900/500 range video gear with a kx171 cam.. time and money have alot to do with it, but that doesn't stop the fun that i have flying in my little half mile bubble im comfortable with. oh and my original easy glider too, which i just converted back to a tractor after screwing with a pod style motor mount for about a year ive gave up on it..
paintz2007 is offline Find More Posts by paintz2007
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jan 13, 2012, 01:46 PM
Chris R
United Kingdom
Joined Dec 2009
713 Posts
Lesson 5 came easy to me.
Cir2kuk is offline Find More Posts by Cir2kuk
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2012, 02:12 PM
I should be flying right now!
al1242's Avatar
United States, IN, Crown Point
Joined May 2010
450 Posts
Lesson 5 - Most beginners are intrigued by going long distance and spectators all want to know "how far can you go? How high will it go?" The reality for me was, long distance is boooring! I rarely fly more than 1-2 miles away now.
al1242 is offline Find More Posts by al1242
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2012, 03:28 PM
Registered User
Joined Dec 2011
5 Posts
aahhh buuurrr, i read and i wonder. when are you all going to get togather and come up with rtf fpv ? you'll make millions.im sitting here looking at my new bird in a box with plans to go all out and wonder if this will ever work. im not a teckie, im an old stick and rudder man.i have an sdz 45 oger. is ther hope? please advise on an good set up from radio to lens size,
thanks guys
don
don4810 is offline Find More Posts by don4810
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2012, 04:07 PM
Registered User
Daemon's Avatar
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,219 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by don4810 View Post
aahhh buuurrr, i read and i wonder. when are you all going to get togather and come up with rtf fpv ? you'll make millions.im sitting here looking at my new bird in a box with plans to go all out and wonder if this will ever work. im not a teckie, im an old stick and rudder man.i have an sdz 45 oger. is ther hope? please advise on an good set up from radio to lens size,
thanks guys
don
See Lesson #4.
That's why there won't ever be cheap RTF FPV.

ian
Daemon is online now Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 13, 2012, 04:35 PM
Registered User
Joined Dec 2011
5 Posts
thanks, note taken. i guess i have an almost perfect set up here in arizona . low desert, flat and open. good ridge soaring too. super thermals and rural clean areas.from soe of the posts i guess an omni directional low gain sys? perhaps the 2.4gh? just keep it simple for now till i master this bird ???any tips on manufacturer

don
don4810 is offline Find More Posts by don4810
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2012, 04:48 PM
Registered User
Daemon's Avatar
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,219 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by don4810 View Post
thanks, note taken. i guess i have an almost perfect set up here in arizona . low desert, flat and open. good ridge soaring too. super thermals and rural clean areas.from soe of the posts i guess an omni directional low gain sys? perhaps the 2.4gh? just keep it simple for now till i master this bird ???any tips on manufacturer

don
Try the next sticky thread down in the list.

ian
Daemon is online now Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 13, 2012, 04:49 PM
Team White Llama!
gundamnitpete's Avatar
Joined Jan 2008
8,144 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toysrme View Post
nothing beats a black magic. DV and Aiptek DVR looks like a lulz fest compared. its too bad nobody in fpv ever buys them...
what's with the weird crop in that video?
nevermind. it was letterboxed & pillarboxed in the embedded player here, it's only letterboxed to 4:3 in the native. forum fail



i just want somebody to take a DSLR, or a quality enough camera hooked up to a monitor ora non processing TV to show the actual difference in quality in systems when range & local radio conditions are not factors. there should be plenty of people capable of doing this.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...9#post19621860
gundamnitpete is offline Find More Posts by gundamnitpete
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2012, 09:48 PM
Smoke me a Kipper
fritzdecat's Avatar
Cedar Grove North Carolina
Joined Oct 2006
1,210 Posts
make this sticky
fritzdecat is offline Find More Posts by fritzdecat
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2012, 11:19 PM
Registered User
Daemon's Avatar
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,219 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fritzdecat View Post
make this sticky
It already is.

ian
Daemon is online now Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 14, 2012, 07:24 AM
Smoke me a Kipper
fritzdecat's Avatar
Cedar Grove North Carolina
Joined Oct 2006
1,210 Posts
it wasn't earlier capiche?
fritzdecat is offline Find More Posts by fritzdecat
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Do you wish (When you started) there were as many choices HX3D014 Electric Heli Talk 0 Jan 09, 2007 04:40 AM
Discussion Pay attention when plugging things in! crashsiegel Radios 2 Sep 28, 2006 09:45 PM